Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] It's boring today so let's try this holiday dilemma.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I will try and keep this as short as possible but need to get all my points across.
Want to go on holiday with Mrs Chopper and a 13 (going on 18) single child girl.
Now, when I was that age I really did not want to spend time with my parents, I wanted to explore and also hang out at night.
We don't want a sulky, moody girl ruining our holiday and no friends parents are prepared to pay to go with us.
So we need somewhere to keep her occupied and maybe meet other girls, whilst we can also have a really decent holiday, we do not like Disney or theme parks, and we do like a bit of posh.
So I was considering Beaches, Turks & Caicos but it is really expensive, but on the plus side the activities, water park and teen nightclub are outstanding.
For us, the accommodation, beach, pool and restaurants are outstanding.
But to be honest it's the money 5 to 6 k for 7 days does not sit very well with me.
Single teens can be a real problem, anyone got experience of this and ideas or places they have been that worked.
We really don't want to go to a cheap all inclusive full of Brits shovelling as much booze and food down them as they can manage either, camping and Caravanning is also out.
I would rather stay at home than have a ruined holiday

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Get her on Tinder if you're worried about her being single..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
How about taking a girlfriend (one of hers not yours!) and offering to pay half, or all expenses bar the airfare.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
She needs to bring a friend along.

This!

We have had 2 of our granddaughters coming over here for 10 + years. Last few without Parents.
2 years ago , for the first time, it seemed they weren't getting on as well as they used to. So, last year we offered either 2 weeks together or a week each with a friend. Both chose option 2 and it worked really well.
This year they are bringing a different friend . (Payback for holidays in France with their friends parents)

Jul 7, 2003
I will try and keep this as short as possible but need to get all my points across.
Want to go on holiday with Mrs Chopper and a 13 (going on 18) single child girl.
Now, when I was that age I really did not want to spend time with my parents, I wanted to explore and also hang out at night.
We don't want a sulky, moody girl ruining our holiday and no friends parents are prepared to pay to go with us.
So we need somewhere to keep her occupied and maybe meet other girls, whilst we can also have a really decent holiday, we do not like Disney or theme parks, and we do like a bit of posh.
So I was considering Beaches, Turks & Caicos but it is really expensive, but on the plus side the activities, water park and teen nightclub are outstanding.
But to be honest it's the money 5 to 6 k for 7 days does not sit very well with me.
Single teens can be a real problem, anyone got experience of this and ideas or places they have been that worked.
We really don't want to go to a cheap all inclusive full of Brits shovelling as much booze and food down them as they can manage either, camping and Caravanning is also out.

I have exactly the same dilemma with my 13yo daughter. I have looked at some places in the school holidays but the prices are ridiculous for average accommodation. We looked at a cruise but the family cabins have all gone and it is too expensive for three of us in two cabins.

My current plan is to go to New York for 4 nights at the start of the school holidays. Staying in a decent hotel it is coming in at a reasonable price - especially in comparison with the Med. Daughter hasn't been before and we like to keep occupied so looks like the best option at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely let her take a mate.....an all inclusive in somewhere like the Dominican Republic perhaps. Slightly cheaper than mainstream Caribbean so you can pay for her pal within your budget (will be worth it), not rammed with Brits but fantastic facilities, loads of organised activities and with guaranteed good weather.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I can’t really help with your dilemma but Grace Bay Beach is the best beach I have ever been to by a very very long way. The island is outrageously expensive but if you are on all inclusive that won’t be a problem. Grace Bay village is OK but small and I am not convinced that there is much for a young girl to do outside the hotel complex. The area is very much a beach resort and there is not that much to do other than eat, drink, and generally take it easy. We didn’t meet a single other Brit either, even though it is a British protectorate, mostly Americans and Canadians. One of my, if not , favourite ever holidays. Did I mention that the beach is fanbloodytastic, white white soft sand and fabulous swimming and sailing. If you do go make a point of going to Le Bouchon du Village restaurant, fantastic French food. Don’t be conned into booking into the “best restaurant on the Island” The Coco Bistro, it is expensive, very busy and living on a past reputation imo.

You can hire a mini moke for about USD 70 a day and worth doing to have a look around the really undeveloped island. If you go in the football season the Golf Club will let you watch the televised football, on their big screen too

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All I can do is say what we did with 13yo Daughter. We went to Mexico at an all inclusive hotel (Gran Bahia Coba). Now obviously I've no idea what your family like so I'll just say what we did. All three in one room, rooms are huge so no problems. Daytime is either pool or beach, both with activity if needed. As much pizza & cola (if that's you) or decent food (if that's you). Evenings are full of activities and not just the reps show. Live music etc. Dining is fun trying new food for child but also pre book restaurants for fine dining. Our daughter had a great time and met new friends, plus went horse riding in the sea (massive Dad points for that).
To be honest you need to search for a hotel that caters for 'teens' thus encouraging teens to go. Ten years later we now avoid these hotels although we went to the Coba (an adults only part) last year and that hotel is still good.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks for all the suggestions so far even the funny ones.
All inclusive is obviously the way to go, just need to find the right one at the right price.
Unfortunately she is not festooned with friends and they are always falling out then making up, if they fall out on holiday then that's all gone tits up too, plus the parents of the friends she has got can't afford it.
May gamble on a really good AI with great activities and hope she meets up with a few others.
Shame about the cost of Beaches, it looks fantastic, unlimited scuba diving and loads of other water sports.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't get why people go on holiday for one week (unless it's not their main holiday). I hate it. As soon as you get acclimatised you're almost going home. Much better to save up holidays / money and go for two weeks less frequently but maybe that's just me. I definitely wouldn't spend anywhere near £5k on a 1 week holiday as it would just feel like chucking money away.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I don't get why people go on holiday for one week (unless it's not their main holiday). I hate it. As soon as you get acclimatised you're almost going home. Much better to save up holidays / money and go for two weeks less frequently but maybe that's just me. I definitely wouldn't spend anywhere near £5k on a 1 week holiday as it would just feel like chucking money away.

Agreed, that is why I said that 5k plus does not sit well with me.
But there is the argument that you can have 7 days of absolute luxury and pampering with outstanding food, drink, entertainment, facilities and unlimited watersports, you can even have a butler if you want one, certainly could not afford 2 weeks of that.
And imagine spending that much money and your daughter still manages to make the holiday miserable, its a real dilema.
The daughter of a friend recently totally ruined a weeks holiday, which prompted me to create this thread.
I just want somewhere where she can lose herself in activities, meet some other kids while the missus and me enjoy a holiday with what we like as well.
Last night i saw some very nice AI on the north coast of Crete, I will look into that.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Go to Florida , not Disney but say St Petes or Clearwater or further south Sarasota Etc . Not the cost of Carribean but weather just as good

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here