Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we get what we deserved against Leicester?

Did we get what we deserved against Leicester?

• No, we were the better team for most of the game and deserved a point at least

Votes: 90 52.6%
  • Yes, miss your opportunities and you will get punished in this League

Votes: 81 47.4%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes - goals win games

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Draw would’ve been fair but we could easily have won - we had way more chances than them - quite similar in some ways to the Fa cup game at OT. After the penalty save we visibly dropped off.

CH didn’t think it was a fair result, Puel didn’t think they deserved a win and a large number of Leicester fans on their own forum think they robbed us too. Not even sure there are two broad schools of thought........

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Draw would’ve been fair but we could easily have won - we had way more chances than them - quite similar in so e ways to the Fa cup game at OT. After the penalty save we visibly dropped off.

CH didn’t think it was a fair result, Puel didn’t think they deserved a win and a large number of Leicester fans on their own forum think they robbed us too. Not even sure there are two broad schools of thought........

About that...

Yes - goals win games

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
PL is a tough place to get points........gifts come rarely.....snap em up or pay the consequences.......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
both are valid i think.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes. It irritates me when you see games where one team shows a defensive stoutness and an attacking efficiency and are told they don't deserve to win because the other side had an ineffective attack that had way more chances, and a frail defence that barely had to stand up to anything. It's usually more obvious a difference (one team taking 20 shots failing to convert, the other taking three and scoring two), but the principal stands. If you can't score and you can't keep a clean sheet, you don't 'deserve' to win.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There have been so any games where our inability to be as clinical in front of goal compared to established PL teams has been exposed - biggest difference to being in the Championship for me. Last season we could get away with it, but in the PL so many more chances seem to be taken. Last two games great examples.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Two broad schools of thought - which one are you in?

Not sure the NO option is a valid school of thought at all.

How can you expect to deserve something from a game when you don't take the gifts presented to you?????

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Yes. It irritates me when you see games where one team shows a defensive stoutness and an attacking efficiency and are told they don't deserve to win because the other side had an ineffective attack that had way more chances, and a frail defence that barely had to stand up to anything. It's usually more obvious a difference (one team taking 20 shots failing to convert, the other taking three and scoring two), but the principal stands. If you can't score and you can't keep a clean sheet, you don't 'deserve' to win.

I do not know where you get the frail defence from. It was their defending and blocking that stopped us from scoring,not our poor finishing.
Not a big fan of Solly, but I think he has a role as an impact sub, always seems to shine more when he comes on late.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do not know where you get the frail defence from. It was their defending and blocking that stopped us from scoring,not our poor finishing.
Not a big fan of Solly, but I think he has a role as an impact sub, always seems to shine more when he comes on late.

I didn't mean we had a frail defence. I was trying to give a classic 'story of the match' for the type of game for which people say "[x] didn't deserve to win that", and didn't word it so well. Ours wasn't as extreme as that, but for me, the same principal applies. If you don't take enough of your chances and you can't stop your opponents taking enough of theirs, you don't 'deserve' to win.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Biggest crime, for me, wasn't the missed penalty. It was Izquierdo choosing to shoot when he an easy square pass to Gross (and possibly Murray too) who are/were far better placed to score.

Murray had a long chat with him after that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep....forgivable Murray stinker aside, could’ve been very different (and Bong should’ve rescued a point too)

I know that a goal changes the approach but their late goal would have still got them 3 points irrespective of the Bong missed header. I must admit I thought at the time the ref had blown for a foul but watching MOTD it didnt appear so. I thought that on balance of play we probably deserved a draw but it wasnt to be.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We were mugged, but this happens in football. I'm sure moaning about it too much would raise eyebrows at Craven Cottage as we did it twice to them last year. Our slight change to the formation looked promising. The three in midfield dominated and provided space and opportunity for Murray, Izquierdo and Locadia. Unfortunately, none of them had their shooting boots on and chances weren't taken. Let's hope that this was a useful practice run and the new shape will produce better results next week.

Leicester's tactic to bring down quick players and defend set pieces with their land of giants was cynical. I haven't seen that approach at The Amex since Mick McCarthy's Ipswich took turns collecting yellows and turned us over with inevitable goals from Darryl Murphy. It may sound bitter, but when Mahrez goes they will be a suprisingly ordinary team considering how much money has been spent on them. I didn't think that the much lauded Harry Maguire looked particularly mobile. He was noticeably heavy, even playing next to Wes Morgan: Less the new John Terry, more the new Neil Ruddock.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know that a goal changes the approach but their late goal would have still got them 3 points irrespective of the Bong missed header. I must admit I thought at the time the ref had blown for a foul but watching MOTD it didnt appear so. I thought that on balance of play we probably deserved a draw but it wasnt to be.

You think our formation at that point would have been the same if we were at 1-1 with seconds left ?????

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How on earth did Bong not get his head to that. Very good game great entertainment. There will be no dull moments from now on

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here