Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Derby Way, 2017-18 edition

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The warm glow today of Albion in the PL, hopeless Derby flopped again and another beautiful sunny day in Sussex.

Life is good.

At least Mike has turned up the very next day. You wouldn't have seen any Nigel for week's like we experienced at the beginning of this season as we all know

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
At least Mike has turned up the very next day. You wouldn't have seen any Nigel for week's like we experienced at the beginning of this season as we all know

Why wouldn't I eh?!? You're having your moment of fun (at my expense), I follow the Oscar Wilde lesson when it comes to being talked about so everyone's a winner :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Think I saw a stat where thats only the second time in 16 seasons a first leg deficit has been turned round.

Lovely.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's funny actually - OBVIOUSLY one wants to win the playoffs and go up but we had so little momentum, have been shite for 3 months, to say I was pessimistic about our chances is an understatement. Think my innate pessimism is an defence mechanism against the pain of failure :)

That sounds very similar to the year we faced you in the playoffs. You were so much better than us, it wouldn't have been right for us to progress at your expense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Derby: Also the club where the fans booed and jeered Solly March for going down injured. He was out for over a year. Nice.

And 15 mins earlier booed Calde for being injured when blood was pouring out of his nose.

Before that game,I hadn't had a problem with Derby, and enjoyed our visits there.

I feel sorry for Gary Rowett after the way Birmingham treated him, but not for Derby.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Why is it that the only decent Derby fan in the world is present on NSC? It makes ripping into them feel a bit out of order. Cheers for spoiling the fun Mike!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I refuse to gloat, our play-off record is just as bad

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I refuse to gloat, our play-off record is just as bad

We're 1 from 4 aren't we - bang on expectations.

I think both Brentford and Sheffield Utd have poor records (no wins from 8 attempts or something) and Fulham's own record isn't all that I believe,

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It's funny actually - OBVIOUSLY one wants to win the playoffs and go up but we had so little momentum, have been shite for 3 months, to say I was pessimistic about our chances is an understatement. Think my innate pessimism is an defence mechanism against the pain of failure :)

I was surprised to see you had actually rallied and made the playoffs as I was expecting a complete capitulation and you finishing midtable. Fulham were by far the superior side to be fair so makes it a bit easier I suppose. You seem a distant memory of the side that played us in the playoffs all those years ago. I think that was your time to go up as you seem to have regressed since then

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's difficult to like Derby, isn't it? Dull town, often a very dull team and club (except when Clough was there), and often a thorn in our side recently. I liked the Baseball Ground for its quirkiness and character but Pride Park, although probably the best of those identikit 90s grounds, is a bit ho-hum. But their fans turn up in numbers and they've got a decent manager, so if they eventually make it I suppose we won't begrudge them. Glad Fulham won, though.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's difficult to like Derby, isn't it? Dull town, often a very dull team and club (except when Clough was there), and often a thorn in our side recently. I liked the Baseball Ground for its quirkiness and character but Pride Park, although probably the best of those identikit 90s grounds, is a bit ho-hum. But their fans turn up in numbers and they've got a decent manager, so if they eventually make it I suppose we won't begrudge them. Glad Fulham won, though.

Very well supported club it has to be said. I like Pride Park to be honest. They also have a superb badge but that's about it

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Summary of how we went into the 2014 playoffs and you battered us. Some of your fans were less than gracious in victory that evening which is where the one-upsmanship and bitterness stems from.

I seem to be in a minority (on this board at least) in liking an away day in Derby, I like the city, great pubs and pride park, as mentioned by someone else, is by far the best of the 'flatpacks' for want of a better term.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't mind Derby to be honest.

But they deserved to get beaten last night.Would love a Fulham Villa final if only to guarantee an away trip to one of my two favourite places to go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Their accounts make for interesting* reading, they seem to have a number of unusual policies, such as showing profits from player sales who hadn't been sold.
Tell us more (I clicked on the link, but it looked a bit dull, and you can phrase it so much better).

Also, what's happened with the QPR fine?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was surprised to see you had actually rallied and made the playoffs as I was expecting a complete capitulation and you finishing midtable. Fulham were by far the superior side to be fair so makes it a bit easier I suppose. You seem a distant memory of the side that played us in the playoffs all those years ago. I think that was your time to go up as you seem to have regressed since then

Me too! No doubt, Fulham were much better, that's what stability and build a squad to suit your style does. We have regressed because, for various reasons, we haven't built the squad to suit the game plan. We have an expensive mix of players from different managers and that's a problem - Craig Bryson and Chris Martin have been out on loan this season and that's hard to believe given how influential they were a couple of seasons back. I like Gary Rowett and I believe that stability is key BUT at some point you've got to show that you can mould a squad and make it work. That he spoke of lowering the age of the squad and giving it more energy definitely counts against him given that we've done precisely the opposite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here