Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Derby Way, 2017-18 edition

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You need to read the whole article. There is a definition of an 'active market' and it is very hard to argue that it could include footballers.
You need to read my whole post. I even quoted the section that covered 'active market'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which is worse, losing in the semi-final or losing in the final?

I'm not sure I've ever been as devastated coming away from a game as I was after losing to Notts County at Wembley.

Losing in the semi is proper, proper shit obviously, but even if you get through, you're well aware that there's still another game to go. But losing in the Final, when everything is down to that 90 minutes and you're THAT close to going up...thats worse for me. Far worse. That hurt far worse than any of the semi-final failures for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure I've ever been as devastated coming away from a game as I was after losing to Notts County at Wembley.

Losing in the semi is proper, proper shit obviously, but even if you get through, you're well aware that there's still another game to go. But losing in the Final, when everything is down to that 90 minutes and you're THAT close to going up...thats worse for me. Far worse. That hurt far worse than any of the semi-final failures for me.

1991 agreed, was so depressing. Probably because I knew that as a skint and badly run club, that was the ONE chance to get to the top flight. Plus wnkr Warnock out-planned Lloyd in every department.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Which is worse, losing in the semi-final or losing in the final?

In the case of the play offs, and from (multiple) personal experiences as some of you have excitedly pointed out - The final, 100% - It's not like the FA cup where you've reached the final, you're runners up, you've enjoyed the day and all that jazz. Play off final, you win, you've got promotion to the next division, the goal of your season is achieved. Celebrate. You lose, that's it, season over, pick up your programme, make a run for the tube, get home as fast as you can.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the case of the play offs, and from (multiple) personal experiences as some of you have excitedly pointed out - The final, 100% - It's not like the FA cup where you've reached the final, you're runners up, you've enjoyed the day and all that jazz. Play off final, you win, you've got promotion to the next division, the goal of your season is achieved. Celebrate. You lose, that's it, season over, pick up your programme, make a run for the tube, get home as fast as you can.

On a positive, you must be happy in having Carson?

There's a Derby fan who throughout the season has called 606 and Talkshite phoneins, saying that Carson's been immense and worthy of an England call. Predictably, due to Carson's dodgy England past and playing in the Championship, his view is dismissed.

From what I've seen in recent Derby matches, Carson's playing brilliantly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
On a positive, you must be happy in having Carson?

There's a Derby fan who throughout the season has called 606 and Talkshite phoneins, saying that Carson's been immense and worthy of an England call. Predictably, due to Carson's dodgy England past and playing in the Championship, his view is dismissed.

From what I've seen in recent Derby matches, Carson's playing brilliantly.

No doubt - Carson has been top notch, and probably one of only 2 players (the other being Curtis Davies) I'd be disappointed to lose.

I know that a goalkeeper is an important cog in the team but in very good teams, they don't make that many saves over the season but they're there when called upon. Carson has been way too busy in my book, we would not have made the play offs without a top keeper.

I think, realistically, you have to be playing in or to have recently been playing in the top division to get a call up, Carson hasn't been there for 8 years.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Surprised how many Derby fans appeared to be in tears last night. They were easily the worst team in the play offs, certainly nowhere near the standard of Villa, much less Fulham, so they can't have gone into it with huge expectations. I'm not into sobbing at football matches myself and find it a bit cringeworthy watching other grown adults do it, but last night really did take the biscuit. If a team finished like we did two seasons ago, with a heroic last ditch failure to reach the top two, a chronic injury crisis in the first leg of the semi final, and then a stirring but ultimately futile performance (and a shit refereeing decision) in the second leg, then I could understand it more. Not in Derby's situation though.

As for the final, hopefully it will be Fulham against Villa, as Boro is a disgusting place for an away trip. Then I'd be grateful if Fulham could turn Villa over at Wembley, as there were plenty in the Holte End who took rather too much pleasure (for my liking) in their spawny last ditch equaliser in our 2017 promotion season. Screw you all, and I'll make an exception to my rule of not wanting to see football fans sobbing just for you :wave:

I can't stand to see fans crying but my pet hate is seeing players crying. Stoke players were in tears on MOTD when you know they will be on the phone to their agent after the match to ensure that there is no pay cut or to get a transfer to Wolves.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Oh dear, what a pity, never mind
Derby never dissapoint do they? Love it

New logo just released from the club....:)

Derby bottle.jpeg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Derby Way.

2018/19 ‘Frank Lampard’s Special Edition”

What better than a derby loss to Forest to spark Frank Lampard’s Derby County’s annual drive to mid-table obscurity?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
0-1 down at half time to 19th placed Wigan at home.

Absolutely classic 2nd half of the season Derby.

The 18/19 Frank Lampard’s special edition is going to be a vintage and will be talked about for years.

Nice for us to help them on their mission by dispatching them from the cup and beating their U23s last night.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
0-1 down at half time to 19th placed Wigan at home.

Absolutely classic 2nd half of the season Derby.

The 18/19 Frank Lampard’s special edition is going to be a vintage and will be talked about for years.

Nice for us to help them on their mission by dispatching them from the cup and beating their U23s last night.
I liked Frank's comment the other day about how "this sort of thing has happened before, but....".

It's the Derby way Frank, weren't you told?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a hell of a coincidence that ever since the media started talking about Sarri being on the verge of the sack and Lampard being a possible successor he hasn't won a match.

A draw away to Ipswich then dumped out of the Cup by us, a home defeat to Millwall, defeat to arch rivals Forest, 4-0 drubbing by inconsistent Villa and now this.

At the time I felt Lampard should have come out and made a firm statement ruling himself out of the Chelsea job and reminding the press he is still a rookie manager with a lot to learn. You wonder whether he lost focus, or the Derby players aren't convinced by his commitment to the club.

And Wigan have just missed a sitter to go two up!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
To be fair to Frank he has definitely improved them as they are bottling it much earlier than usual. Lose tonight and it’s 5 straight defeats and the game before that was a draw with championship pace setters Ipswich.

With that form soon to become <insert name here> Derby County

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In terms of experience they've got Carson, Cole, Johnson, Huddlestone, Keogh, Nugent - surely enough to keep the ship steady?

Mason Mount is a huge miss for them, as is Tom Lawrence.

Once again, the Championship is producing a gem of a season.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Had a sparkie round my shared house recently, who is a massive Chelsea supporter, but doesn't go.

He bought tickets for himself and his son in the Derby end, when they played us in the cup a few weeks ago, because he loves 'Our Frank'.

Hope the sparkie mis wires one day, prick.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Frank seems to be a decent manager so far. The decision to honour the cup and play his first team against us when he had a lot of important games stacked up was naive but if they stick with him he could get them up next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here