Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Derby Way, 2017-18 edition

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks for the memories! That was a high water mark, no doubt! As tight as the first leg was, the second leg was as convincing as I've seen. Last night the reverse. Awful - Not sure why, Rowett never had us playing McClarenesque footy but we were so solid at the back....

Such is life - We'll make it though, at some point, that's inevitable right?!?

McClarenesque footy :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cheers! Water of the ducks back - I have no idea how, given their relative success right now, why some Brighton fans feel so bitter about Derby, Palace, Pompey, Southampton, Reading etc etc. Enjoy the moment!

I have a soft spot for Derby. My earliest memory is of them, as European Champions at the time (I think) needing to take a 3rd division Albion, on the up, to a replay at the Baseball Ground in the League Cup. Players like Charlie George et al

Playoff defeat apart and the way Hughes would torment us I have enjoyed the games and the people of Derby when visiting their grounds.

I might be alone on here in actually wishing them well. I thought Rowlett might take them up this season but the wheels have well and truly come off recently.

Oh and I also enjoyed White Feather Ravenelli’s face during the game at Withdean.

I wonder how they would have got on if they’d kept faith with Clough, who I thought was doing a good job on not much money at the time.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps, in the summer, we'll be able to afford Vydra.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Incredible result last night. What happened? Why have they suddenly become shite?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Good club, rather them than a whole host of other clubs in the Championship, particularly ****ing Cardiff.

They're a lot more likable now Chris Martin is gone, Keogh still lingering like a bad stench though.

Most Derby fans worship the ground Keogh walks on, but he typifies why Derby have a reputation as "bottlers". He is the common denominator for their series of "post Christmas bottle jobs" since the 2013/14 season....from the disastrous 90th-minute play-off final to his aberration against Sunderland last night.

I don't think he ACTUALLY wants to be a PL footballer - he had the chance to go to Burnley in 2015/16 in a cash/exchange deal with Shackell but preferred to stay with The Rams (probably because they were offering more money after the Clarets showed an interest). I am glad to say Burnley signed Tarkowski instead!:)

It was amusing in the Burnley v Derby game in January 2016 when Keogh and Shackell both scored own goals and both gave away penalties in a 4-1 Burnley win.

Keogh "bottled" it in a big game then and has done this on several occasions in the last 5 years.

I can't see Derby getting promoted until the meddlesome owner Mel Morris sells up to someone with more calmness and patience.

I'd actually like Derby to come up through the play-offs....with Cardiff likely to finish 2nd, there would be a good chance this pair would fill two of the relegation positions next season, especially The Rams.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheers! Water of the ducks back - I have no idea how, given their relative success right now, why some Brighton fans feel so bitter about Derby, Palace, Pompey, Southampton, Reading etc etc. Enjoy the moment!

I’ve got no bitterness towards Derby at all. It’s just bizarre how you seem to choke around this time every year.

The “Derby Way” comment was a gem though.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Still makes me laugh that they sacked Paul Clement a few years ago when 5th in the league, saying promotion was not "the primary target". "The priorities were building on the Derby way". Certainly seems they've achieved that since he left. Bottled promotion at every opportunity.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Always liked Derby and would like to see them back in the top flight

Was lucky enough to go to the Baseball Ground

I was ambivalent TBH until I got a face full of their fans chanting homophobic crap and generally being utter twats before the play-off semi a few years back. I look at them in the same light as middlesbrough fans now - hope you suffer many years in dull wilderness where nothing interesting really happens...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've disliked Derby since they booed Solly March for suffering what could have been a career-ending injury. That was appalling behaviour

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I have a soft spot for Derby. My earliest memory is of them, as European Champions at the time (I think) needing to take a 3rd division Albion, on the up, to a replay at the Baseball Ground in the League Cup. Players like Charlie George et al

Playoff defeat apart and the way Hughes would torment us I have enjoyed the games and the people of Derby when visiting their grounds.

I might be alone on here in actually wishing them well. I thought Rowlett might take them up this season but the wheels have well and truly come off recently.

Oh and I also enjoyed White Feather Ravenelli’s face during the game at Withdean.

I wonder how they would have got on if they’d kept faith with Clough, who I thought was doing a good job on not much money at the time.

English champions only I'm afraid, it's our beloved neighbours down the road who want on to European glory, we fell at the Semi-Final stage to Juventus, robbed by a dodgy ref (possibly).

Fair comment on Clough, McClaren gave us 7 fantastic months of great, winning, football - Then Newcastle came a calling and the wheels came off. The consensus was that Clough had taken us as far as he could but he did very well with a lot less than those who were to follow.

I think you are in the minority, judging by the number of telling me how they're not bitter before explaining why they're bitter :)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
English champions only I'm afraid, it's our beloved neighbours down the road who want on to European glory, we fell at the Semi-Final stage to Juventus, robbed by a dodgy ref (possibly).

Fair comment on Clough, McClaren gave us 7 fantastic months of great, winning, football - Then Newcastle came a calling and the wheels came off. The consensus was that Clough had taken us as far as he could but he did very well with a lot less than those who were to follow.

I think you are in the minority, judging by the number of telling me how they're not bitter before explaining why they're bitter :)

Vocal minority. No beef with Derby, one of my favourite pubs up there and always enjoy the trip up, not so much our form at PP.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Burton (who were bottom at the start of play) beat Derby today 3-1 - their first win at home for 6 months.

'The Derby Way'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Infighting:

IMG_2532.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here