Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] New Zealand V England 2nd test official match thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To use a football analogy (seems appropriate on here) and without being extreme, isn't it rather like asking Dunk to play in front of the back four, or Knockaert to play in the centre rather than the wing?
We might think it a good idea. It might work. Then again it might not.
But if they don't really fancy it the chances of it succeeding are surely greatly reduced.

Is that a bit of an extreme analogy? Isn't it more like asking Dunk to play as the right sided centre back rather than the left sided one? Or Knocky to play on the left wing rather than the right?

They thought it worth a go in the first test.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Very sad to see Cook's decline, he was probably the best opening batsman in the world 7-8 years but time to go.

I'll bet the Selectors keep him for one final English Summer, I would go with Haseeb Hameed, a proper old fashioned opener, not been in great form but can't do much worse than Cook.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As an aside. Just watching the Saffers batting and thinking what an extraordinarily average bowling attack the Aussies have when they are denied the option to cheat.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is that a bit of an extreme analogy? Isn't it more like asking Dunk to play as the right sided centre back rather than the left sided one? Or Knocky to play on the left wing rather than the right?

They thought it worth a go in the first test.

You might try it but there are excellent footballing reasons not to do eiither, and equally why neither player might want to. Which was I guess my point

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think being captain is affecting Roots batting as he now is batting as a lower order batsman would with score of about 40 with the occasional 50 but not very often going on to a century.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Having 3 walking wickets in our top 5 (Cook, Vince, Malan) weaken the batting a teeny weeny bit. (And a gun-shy Broad* at 8.)

*Not really relevant but Swann tells a story concerning SB. Swanny was talking about various nicknames given to cricketers, one of then being Jonathan Trott. Apparently he was know as 'Trotsky' or 'Leon'. One day Broady approached Swann and in a style akin to the revelation that he had discovered quantum physics said "Do you know there was someone years ago actually called Leon Trotsky!"

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think being captain is affecting Roots batting as he now is batting as a lower order batsman would with score of about 40 with the occasional 50 but not very often going on to a century.

You may wish to consider that Root has passed 50 in nearly half his Test innings. An incredible stat. He averages over 50 and has done so all throughout his career.

If he converted more of those to centuries he would rank as one of the batsman of all time. He isn't that- yet.

However his overall century rate is one in nine. Still good when combined. If he scored less 50s and averaged 45 this conversation would be redundant.

He is the most complete batsman on the planet when assessed in all forms of the game.

I'd be thankful for what we have.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Lack of match practice and to much ODI.

Should have prepared by playing a couple of three / four day games instead of the meaningless rubbish they did.
Cook with lambing on his farm three weeks ago!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He is the most complete batsman on the planet when assessed in all forms of the game.

Really? He's rated no 3 in test cricket, no 5 in one-day and no 15 in T20 - Kohli's above him in all three forms of the game.

I suspect, if he hadn't taken a break from the game, De Villiers would be above him as well

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we need our best batsman to be relied on to score consistently well and carry the others along with him. With one of them also getting a good score.as Bairstow has this test.

Jul 7, 2003
No matter how we perform on the field, it looks like a beautiful place to spend a few days watching cricket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
307 AO

NZ to bat next

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
0/1NZ Latham edges behind

Jimmy Grimble

Broad having one of those spells.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Restricted myself to £20 on England at 11/8 at start of play. Still, could be a curry for Sunday night.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here