Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tomer Hemed article - 'made a mistake...staying at Brighton'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club don’t make many cock ups these days but giving Baldock a new contract in the summer after his injuries of the last couple of seasons, and his inability to get any proper game time this season, is one of them.

Don’t agree......new contract will have increased his value and at the time we had no obvious cover. We’ve now got Locadia who is like a supercharged Baldock, so expect Sam to be sold in the summer. Club won’t lose money on him, he’ll be snapped up by a decent championship club.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
IF we stay up, there could be a major clear out in the summer from the promotion squad as we will need to look at better quality (and more expensive players) to maintain and retain a premier league mid-table place. If not, we will struggle next season to make an impact and could run out of steam rapidly. Clubs who flirt with the drop every season always eventually go down sooner or later.

And we will need another striker, because Murray won't get any quicker and may not be be able to last a full season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don’t agree......new contract will have increased his value and at the time we had no obvious cover. We’ve now got Locadia who is like a supercharged Baldock, so expect Sam to be sold in the summer. Club won’t lose money on him, he’ll be snapped up by a decent championship club.

Fair comment I wasn’t thinking like a business man. Maybe we will start making money on all the development squad without them getting a sniff of first team action too. The big six make big bucks farming out on loan and then selling young players who haven’t got a chance of making the first team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fair comment I wasn’t thinking like a business man. Maybe we will start making money on all the development squad without them getting a sniff of first team action. The big six make big bucks farming out on loan and then selling young players who haven’t got a chance of making the first team.

That’s more like it. Mr Barber will be so proud [emoji106][emoji23]

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Will Burnley put in a bid?
And turn him into that Premiership ten to fifteen goal a season striker, that they appeared to have done with Barnes and Vokes? :banana:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club don’t make many cock ups these days but giving Baldock a new contract in the summer after his injuries of the last couple of seasons, and his inability to get any proper game time this season, is one of them.
Not really. Baldock was on the mend - there was no reason to expect he'd have even more bad luck, and we were desperately short of striking options, especially in view of CH's apparent reluctance to throw youngsters in at the deep end. Anyway, although you or I might find a few months on his wages a life-changing experience, I doubt if we are paying him a lot by PL footballer standards. No problem with keeping him on the books - will be surprised if he's still here next season though - I don't think TB's striker shopping campaign has finished yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
IF we stay up, there could be a major clear out in the summer from the promotion squad as we will need to look at better quality (and more expensive players) to maintain and retain a premier league mid-table place. If not, we will struggle next season to make an impact and could run out of steam rapidly. Clubs who flirt with the drop every season always eventually go down sooner or later.

And we will need another striker, because Murray won't get any quicker and may not be be able to last a full season

Is that not why we have signed Locadia? I also happen to believe that the signing of Ulloa as cover is on the cards.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not really. Baldock was on the mend - there was no reason to expect he'd have even more bad luck, and we were desperately short of striking options, especially in view of CH's apparent reluctance to throw youngsters in at the deep end. Anyway, although you or I might find a few months on his wages a life-changing experience, I doubt if we are paying him a lot by PL footballer standards. No problem with keeping him on the books - will be surprised if he's still here next season though - I don't think TB's striker shopping campaign has finished yet.

The fact he can’t make the squad or feature in Cup games much would suggest the new 3 (?) year contract was a mistake to me. Dazzer6666 might have a point re sell on value but it is clear CH does not believe in him at this level. Even with Izzy Brown gone he couldn’t get a sniff.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have no idea how much he earns but I’m sure I have made worse mistakes in my life and they cost me money, so no sympathy from me. He didn’t have to stay and you don’t have to be rocket scientist to know he was unlikely to be a first choice if we were to have any chance of staying in this league. He has a history of moaning about being dropped too. Off you go mate.

Doesn't sound like he was moaning just making an observation. Off you go mate - what sort of comment is that about someone who has served us well.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't sound like he was moaning just making an observation. Off you go mate - what sort of comment is that about someone who has served us well.

But it’s ok to for him to go on record as saying he made a mistake siging a contract only a couple of months ago? The same as he went in record about not getting into the Israeli team and fell out with the manager. If he wants out let him go. He should be showing more respect to the club who pay his wages imo.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The fact he can’t make the squad or feature in Cup games much would suggest the new 3 (?) year contract was a mistake to me. Dazzer6666 might have a point re sell on value but it is clear CH does not believe in him at this level. Even with Izzy Brown gone he couldn’t get a sniff.
I get the feeling he won't get a sniff unless hell freezes over now, but I didn't have that impression during the first half of the season when we merely appeared to be waiting on his return to fitness. I get the feeling that something changed, maybe around the turn of the year? One setback too many perhaps, and running out of patience? I don't know, of course, I'm just guessing - but I definitely get the feeling that something changed.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I get the feeling he won't get a sniff unless hell freezes over now, but I didn't have that impression during the first half of the season when we merely appeared to be waiting on his return to fitness. I get the feeling that something changed, maybe around the turn of the year? One setback too many perhaps, and running out of patience? I don't know, of course, I'm just guessing - but I definitely get the feeling that something changed.

Could be, I have always liked him and think he’s a good player, just way too injury prone, but agree he is on his way out now.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
[/B]

Is that not why we have signed Locadia? I also happen to believe that the signing of Ulloa as cover is on the cards.

Baldock and Hemed will both go if/when we stay up leaving us with Murray and Locadia. Even if Ulloa signs we will still need a fourth striker (possibly a young up and coming that won't mind being on the bench)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tomer's a nice guy who always works hard and I'm grateful for everything he did to get us into the Premier League and I'm glad he got to play a bit and score a couple of goals, including the winner against Newcastle. But he's not quite fast enough, not quite skilful enough and not quite tall enough for this level. If he had been, we couldn't have afforded him.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The point is also that he would not be a certain starter in the Championship. That is the way of football these days, it is a squad game and top teams go with competition in all areas.

He is not as clinical or streetwise as Murray and that is why it is Murray who has been starting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The point is also that he would not be a certain starter in the Championship. That is the way of football these days, it is a squad game and top teams go with competition in all areas.

He is not as clinical or streetwise as Murray and that is why it is Murray who has been starting.

Murray started because Tomer was suspended. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn’t been banned........

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Bottom line is, he's not as good as Murray and bar a couple of games at the beginning of the season, has done nothing to suggest he's a Prem player.

He wasn't starting in the Championship so no real surprise here.

Most of his social media is of him in the gym or his own hash tag, think he loves himself a little bit too much tbh. Although with a Mrs like that fair play!

Nice guy, good servant to the club, good luck in the future but strange to come out with this interview when Saturday could well be his last chance in an Albion short with Ulloa ineligible

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
But it’s ok to for him to go on record as saying he made a mistake siging a contract only a couple of months ago? The same as he went in record about not getting into the Israeli team and fell out with the manager. If he wants out let him go. He should be showing more respect to the club who pay his wages imo.

He was probably asked whether it would have been better for him had he moved , he answers yes and then next minute journalist is making a full story around it. If he wants to play international football then he needs to be playing first team football. Regards the Israeli team he was questioning why he was dropped when he was actually scoring goals both for his country and for Brighton and that is a fair question to ask in same way why people question why certain players are picked for England even when they are not playing first team e.g. Wellbeck. I agree he would have been better saying nothing but that probably gets you nowhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here