Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Using the lift to get to west upper

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
When I was on crutches a couple of years ago - I was offered WSL replacement. Good of the club -

Bit of nightmare still really. I was next to the steps (I had to be to stretch my leg) and people were running up and down
- I had had a toe joint fusion - imagine someone jumping on that :) So next time I'll give it a miss.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

I'm more likely to take a fan's side than the club's but what they have said makes perfect sense and they are offering more than they had to do. If you don't mind me calling you a customer, you have received very good customer service on this occasion.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I'm amazed at that. What happens if the lift is out of order or damaged in the fire or worse still is damaged during a fire evac with them stuck inside it.? Using lifts as part of a fire evac procedure is a big no no.

If you are really interested see below. It seems it is not a big no no at all.

My office has three sets of four lifts, and one of each set is a designated fire lift. They are spread apart and unlikely all to be affected by a fire at the same time (no cladding on our building).

http://www.highrisefirefighting.co.uk/docs/guidanceemergemcylifts.pdf

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I question someone who was on crutches in the WSU she said she was staff so she used the lift.
I was made to change my seat when I was on crutches.

Only so many seats available for you to change TO though, unless the club are going so start arm-twisting people in seats with easier access to change with you. It's a bit of a sticking plaster solution though. It's a pig of a climb up those steps. With an ageing WSU population, the club needs to come up with a proper medium to long term solution. That'll be more installing lifts for qualifying supporters then. Or escalators.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'm amazed at that. What happens if the lift is out of order or damaged in the fire or worse still is damaged during a fire evac with them stuck inside it.? Using lifts as part of a fire evac procedure is a big no no.
Same here. I'm no expert so there may not be a law about it but I thought lifts were banned. Not sure I would want to be in a metal box with fire around.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

My office has three sets of four lifts, and one of each set is a designated fire lift. They are spread apart and unlikely all to be affected by a fire at the same time (no cladding on our building).

You live and learn. I guess this is the pertinent bit.

The rationale for using escalators and lifts as part of an emergency evacuation
strategy therefore depends upon a number of aspects including the building type
and design, the technical specification and protection of the escalator/lifts, the
characteristics of the occupants, the fire safety management strategy and the
types of emergency scenario under consideration.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you explained the situation, they explained they can't do it, but for no extra money have given you and your companions seats elsewhere for the match? And you are moaning because?

I can think of plenty of places that might have told you to do one actually.

Typical response from you.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

Thanks for that. Certainly seems an option for new design high rise multi occupancy buildings but for something like a sports stadium you have the simpler option of ensuring that disabled or temporarily incapacitated people are located at low level.

Having said all that, I sit in WSU and am currently fit enough to nip up and down the stairs, but see many old folk resting between flights on their sticks and worry what would happen in a mass evacuation/panic situation with thousands charging down the stairs knocking the slower ones out of the way or falling over them.!

Please god we never have to find out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve been in the lift when I couldn’t walk down the stairs at the end of a match. They actually suggested it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only so many seats available for you to change TO though, unless the club are going so start arm-twisting people in seats with easier access to change with you. It's a bit of a sticking plaster solution though. It's a pig of a climb up those steps. With an ageing WSU population, the club needs to come up with a proper medium to long term solution. That'll be more installing lifts for qualifying supporters then. Or escalators.

Yes. A solution will be needed.

Despite the sour replies from one or two poster (not you) who seem to think I am being ungrateful for not throwing myself prostrate at the feet of the head of 'matchday experience' for kindly switching my seats, my question was simply 'why can't I use a lift that (it now transpires is clear) others use on a one-off?'. Nobody at the club told me that I would be refused entry if I could access my seat only with crutches or by lift (which isn't even the case) or could leave west upper only by lift (which isn't the case) or that I pose a health and safety risk if I go up to west upper and struggle to get down again (which arguably I may). The reason given was that (to summarise what I already said) if I accessed west upper by lift the club could not guarantee I would be able to egress by the same lift if there were a fire. That, I suggested, is a rum sort of explanation, and I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow about it, if only a little bit.

Regarding the latter point, there are plenty of older people who struggle up and down the stairs just because thay are old and unfit. In the event of a fire, say, they will not be able to leap down the stairs any quicker than I can right now. So to say I cannot use a lift because if I do and there is a fire and I am up on west upper I would burn to death or be a hazard to others attempting to leave is a somewhat peculiar thing to say all the while other people with limited mobility are allowed in, puffing and wheezing and limping, no questions asked. Anyway, I am replying to the thread again only because one arse thinks it would be better had the club jus told me to do one, and I'm irritated by that. The clown.

Anyway, I am sure that Ernest can start a spoof thread mocking my thwarted sense of 'entitlement' (albeit I won't read it because I blocked him a while ago). Some people.....:shrug:

NogansRun

Aug 8, 2016
Typical nanny state bollocks. They should let you use the lift, as it's a one off situation - not a permanent request. If there was a real emergency, plenty of good people would offer to help you down the stairs - those that weren't fighting each other to get in the lifts anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ve been in the lift when I couldn’t walk down the stairs at the end of a match. They actually suggested it.

OK, so this is getting murkier and murkier......one suspects the solution is to just turn up and request favours. Unfortuntely that's not my way.

I am minded of a game many years ago at Aldershot away in the cup. I phoned our club requesting a seat for the game, as I have done on countless occasions - my back was very bad at one time and standing at the footy could be quite painful. The club told me it was standing only at Aldershot. I turned up only to see a covered seating section which contained Brighton supporters (Liz Costa was easily recognisable). I wasn't very happy about that.

I really don't mind if I'm told 'you can have things but only if you join 1901, the fan club, Liz Costa's Facebook page' or whatever. On the other hand, I don't like being fobbed off. Perhaps there is another club I have to pay to join (the secretive 1920 club?) in order to get access to information about what might be available were I to join another club and pay for it?

Getting cross now :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. A solution will be needed.

Despite the sour replies from one or two poster (not you) who seem to think I am being ungrateful for not throwing myself prostrate at the feet of the head of 'matchday experience' for kindly switching my seats, my question was simply 'why can't I use a lift that (it now transpires is clear) others use on a one-off?'. Nobody at the club told me that I would be refused entry if I could access my seat only with crutches or by lift (which isn't even the case) or could leave west upper only by lift (which isn't the case) or that I pose a health and safety risk if I go up to west upper and struggle to get down again (which arguably I may). The reason given was that (to summarise what I already said) if I accessed west upper by lift the club could not guarantee I would be able to egress by the same lift if there were a fire. That, I suggested, is a rum sort of explanation, and I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow about it, if only a little bit.

I think you are absolutely within your rights to raise an eyebrow. It's a peurile excuse. Do ANY buildings in this country, or anywhere else for that matter that are three - or even two - storeys high that have a lift refuse to let you use that lift on the way up, just in case you can't then use it on the way down? Of course not. It's the club putting their own employees operational needs above the needs of customers. Nothing more, nothing less.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having said all that, I sit in WSU and am currently fit enough to nip up and down the stairs, but see many old folk resting between flights on their sticks and worry what would happen in a mass evacuation/panic situation with thousands charging down the stairs knocking the slower ones out of the way or falling over them.!

Please god we never have to find out.

This is entirely relevant to a point I made earlier. In all seriousness, and nothing to do with my personal gripes, if there ever is a fire at the Amex, by the next day the average age of season ticket holders will have dropped, while the average fitness level will have increase increased, at a stroke. :(

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
This is entirely relevant to a point I made earlier. In all seriousness, and nothing to do with my personal gripes, if there ever is a fire at the Amex, by the next day the average age of season ticket holders will have dropped, while the average fitness level will have increase increased, at a stroke. :(

At least the pies would be hot.

el punal

For reasons I won't bore you with, I cannot use the stairs this weekend owing to a temporary incapacitation. I phoned the club to ask if I could use the lift. I was told that the lift is not approved for use, especially by the temporarily incapacitated, because it is not a designated fire escape, and if there were a fire during the game, my temporary incapacitation would mean that I would have to struggle down the stairs, thereby endangering the safety of others. That was relayed to me by the nice lady in the office, after she consulted the stadium manager/officer (I forget his/her exact title). So I am instead going to be watching the Leicester match from the South Stand (I and my companions were offered one off replacements for our season tickets at no cost, and will have to collect them from the stadium on the day). This all strikes me as a bit division three (south). Have I been sold a small box of bollocks, or is this all rational, defensible, and fair dinkum (as our sporting cousins from down under, if there are any left, would say)?

I'm afraid she speaks the truth even if it is 'elf and safety bollocks. I do have an alternative scenario for you though. For a couple of pints of Guinness I'll happily give you a piggyback ride up to the WSU on the strict understanding that, (1) You're not some fat lardie weighing 20 stone. (2) I might drop you en route due to my being completely knackered. (3) Halfway up I might consider that a couple of pints is not nearly enough recompense for this toil of Hercules and will renegotiate terms.

I hope you're happy with that! :drink:

P.S. For the downward journey, borrow a tray from the 1901 club and toboggan your way back to ground level!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm afraid she speaks the truth even if it is 'elf and safety bollocks. I do have an alternative scenario for you though. For a couple of pints of Guinness I'll happily give you a piggyback ride up to the WSU on the strict understanding that, (1) You're not some fat lardie weighing 20 stone. (2) I might drop you en route due to my being completely knackered. (3) Halfway up I might consider that a couple of pints is not nearly enough recompense for this toil of Hercules and will renegotiate terms.

I hope you're happy with that! :drink:

P.S. For the downward journey, borrow a tray from the 1901 club and toboggan your way back to ground level!

It's a deal! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here