Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

What would make you turn your back on the Albion?

• Relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back to back relegation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Players, management, directors becoming embroiled in a hideous cheating scandal

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Takeover by Chinese/Russian/Saudi/etc consortium

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Giant pitchside flag wavers/CLACKERS!!

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Smug, condescending fans/players/managers, e.g. “we shouldn’t be losing to teams like......”

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 35 39.8%

• Total voters

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hearing that bloody "We're on our way" chant ever again. :wink:

Already happened a few times this season, I guess you don't go to games. :hilton:

As a couple others have said, nothing would turn me off the club (at least on a permanent basis) but there is plenty in the works that could turn me off football. Incremental ticket increases, VAR, PL2, 5 leagues of 20 with B teams etc. There's some truly catastrophically terrible ideas out there waiting in the wings to make the national team and football in general 'better' and further enrich the enriched.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Work getting in the way of games and the cost prevents me attending more. Can't think of anything that would make me turn my back on the club though. I would still cheer or swear at whoscored.com even if I couldn't make any games. I don't think it something you can just forget is it?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The Saudi/Chinese takeoverthing, but only if it went wrong. Would not have any major complaints being a Man City fan right now.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I started supporting the Albion in league 1, doubt league 2 would make difference. Rich foreign owners who tear the heart from the players/managers would hurt, but not be fatal. I guess it would be the fans changing, but we already have all kinds, including me :). Think I’m stuck.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Like Thunder Bolt, I question the term the meaning of 'turn your back on'.

The idea of Brighton and Hove Albion is something that I think I will always hold dear. Even in Father_and_Son's scenario, I think I would separate the club itself from the people responsible for the decisions/actions to which I have a moral opposition, and still hold the club dear to my heart, while refusing to financially contribute to those people.

Like others have said, the bad owners are more reasons to come together to support/fight for the club. But in the context of the poll, there doesn't seem to be an indication that the takeover is simply about bad owners, but about foreign owners, owners who don't have a family history with the club/area like Bloom, which wouldn't be enough for me. I like that we have 'a local' in charge, I think Tony's history with the club is in part why he isn't quick to sack the manager after a couple of poor results (or in the case of Hyypia, several months of bad results). But the right foreign owner could be beneficial to the club in other ways, so I don't have an instinctive 'not at my club' reaction to the idea of a foreign consortium investing/taking over (to be clear, I'm not saying I want it to happen, just that if it did, I would base my reaction on the specific people in the consortium and their history/actions rather than just on the fact they aren't local).

Relegations are a chance to freshen up - new opponents, new scenarios (no longer the under dogs every week), new players.

I don't like much of the fluff around footbll (the flags, the clackers) but I tend to just ignore them.

We absolutely have smug condescending fans, has not stopped me yet. Smug condescending players/managers - if I don't like them, I won't watch their interviews/tv appearances. If they back up their smugness with talent and produce the goods, fine. If not, I would be opposed to them because they aren't good enough, not because of their smugness.

Having said that, if we're simply talking about what would stop me turning up at the amex every other week. Protests could (i.e. joining a protest of bad owners etc), the scenario from Father_and_son, being priced out (I'm fortunate enough that that hasn't happened yet, but I'm not so well off it isn't a possibility in the future), stagnation (I don't mind ups and downs, they provide a refresh, but when the football is the same week in, week out, it starts to feel routine and becomes an obligation, going for the sake of going, and I might need a season or two off - that season under Hyypia was a god send for me. The repetition of nearly making it, but not quite being strong enough in the play offs was starting to get boring. It changed things up and kept me interested)

Kylegreen-1

Jan 4, 2018
Near Tunbridge wells
I don’t see any situation that would make me stop supporting Albion, even bad owners I’d just protest cos of my love for the club. We’ve had player scandals before and didn’t lose all our supporters so it should be ok even with something massive like match fixing or cheating. Takeover wouldn’t be too bad as long as they gave a damn about the club like we have now with Tony Bloom and as long as it wasn’t excessive like at Man City. Clackers are just annoying and if a majority of fans found them annoying and stopped going as a result, the club would most likely ban them. We already have fans that get too smug so I guess we’d just have to get used to them and ignore them. Obviously not relevant to me but we had fans that have stuck around from when we were one goal from dropping out of the league system and almost certain liquidation, if that doesn’t show that fans will stick around through hard times (relegation etc.) then I don’t know what will.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I struggle to think of a scenario that could be worse than the one we went through with the Three Barstewards and I didn’t turn my back then :shrug:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Other for me.

If Chris Hughton keeps on goading the other managers (e.g. Mourinho) plus going way over the top with his celebrations, I think I'll pack it all in watching the Albion.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
If Schelotto gets picked again tomorrow then I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I voted 'other' as the only situation in which I could imagine totally abandoning them would be some grotesque franchise switch which saw the Albion moving to another city and some other club moving to Brighton as neither would be my club. A takeover by rich overseas investors could see lose some interest and I would support any campaign to rid us of corrupt players/officials, neither of which is turning my back.

Obviously if I find I have been sold the wrong pie tomorrow I may need to review the situation.

D

Deleted member 2719

Having a CEO who doesn't understand his customers and more importantly not prepared too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here