Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club / England allegiances

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So nothing like the mass disorder I've seen on the news in the past?

You seem to be suggesting that because no one was luzzing chairs about their behaviour was acceptable? It was embarrassing and fell way below the level of behaviour I expect.

SAC

May 21, 2014
You seem to be suggesting that because no one was luzzing chairs about their behaviour was acceptable? It was embarrassing and fell way below the level of behaviour I expect.

Very true but not completely different from Amsterdam on any Friday evening, full of pissed up Brits on stag or lads weekends.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I absolutely love major international tournaments and all of the surprises & drama they bring. If England do well then great. If not I’m over it in no time. There’s too much great footy on offer to get bogged down with 1966.
I was born in Germany to English & Irish parents. My grandparents & great grandparents are English, Irish, Italian, Polish, German, Russian. I’ve spent chunks of my life living in other countries. I’ll find a tenuous link to a national team of my choosing in any game & get behind them. My kids now do the same. That’s the way we like it but I get that it’s not the same for everyone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
International is and has been completely moribund for at least the last 20 years.

Tournaments go to the highest bidders with the least consideration given to supporters or even the teams all to satisfy UEFA/FIFA lust for the corporate shilling.

As for England? Watching them ceased being any fun after France 98 and I almost exclusively put the blame for this squarely at the door of the Premier League when players became millionaires overnight and representing your country became an afterthought or just another excuse to go on holiday with their plastic wives and girlfriends.

Right now if offered the choice I expect most players would happily turn down playing for their country if told to do so by their club because they know where their bread is buttered and don’t risk losing their spot or getting injured such is the pressure.

As for the Southgate ‘pick on form not historical performance or right’ ethos of this current squad he can go whistle Dixie for all I care.

Start playing football to win games, go out gallantly by losing all the group games 3-2 etc rather than all this ball retention don’t lose first crap and you might win some respect or fans back.

Sure Wembley will almost always be full for all internationals because the kids haven’t had their England experience tainted by perennial failure nor apathetic boredom crept into their psyche yet.

Club all the way for me.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
International is and has been completely moribund for at least the last 20 years.

Tournaments go to the highest bidders with the least consideration given to supporters or even the teams all to satisfy UEFA/FIFA lust for the corporate shilling.

Club all the way for me.

Agree with this.

Also since the break up of the USSR and Yugoslavia the standard of opposition is appalling.

Friendlies didn't need any more help becoming painful to watch but unlimited subs completely killed them for me.

Now only watch England at major tournament finals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get swept up in Euro/WC fever the same week the competition starts. During the games I'm fully into it. I want us to win.

But for the 48 other weeks of the year.... I couldn't really care less.

Do you mean 51?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I travel thousands of miles a year to see the Albion whereas if England were playing in my back garden I’d probably draw the curtains.

If an Albion player was included (no chance with the Palace **** in charge) I’d watch and hope he did well but other than that I don’t see the point.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Stopped watching England after the 2010 world cup TBH. So depressing wanting them to do well but the players make minimum effort or come up woefully short in terms of ability.

Club every time for me...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Any idea what problems England fans caused in Amsterdam?
I saw 2 videos on Twitter, one of some lads singing next to a canal, another one of some lads throwing beer onto a tourist boat from a bridge.
In the videos the lads looked late teens and early 20s, I didn't see them throwing chairs or fighting.
Throwing beer onto a tourist boat probably wasn't funny for the boat passengers, but I seem to see regular videos of young fans throwing beer in stadium concourses week in week out, stewards seem happy for this to carry on.

Any serious trouble happen in Amsterdam?
Nah, not at all. Burnley and Blackburn went off at each other (about 5 or 6 of them) and that sparked a bit of mayhem and heavy policing. There was some chucking of cans / bottles and some young lads behaving a bit twattish but wasn’t quite what the media made out. It’s easy to nick 60 people, mainly doing nothing, and then report in the press all these arrests :facepalm:

Also, there’s a lot of talk that video was from 2009 as the sky wasn’t blue on Friday. Either way, twattish behaviour but did see plenty of boats pass without fuss!

I’ll always be both and never have seen the need to choose tbh. :shrug:

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
England's away support still has that prat factor, all those teenagers or early 20 something lads in stone island jackets singing anti-IRA songs it's just so odd, it would be funny if it wasn't just so stupid.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's always been club for me - watching England try to play football is invariably a tortuous and ultimately disappointing and frustrating experience, all done to the accompaniment of that bloody band and their 2 tunes droning on repetitively and unimaginatively throughout the match.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England's away support still has that prat factor, all those teenagers or early 20 something lads in stone island jackets singing anti-IRA songs it's just so odd, it would be funny if it wasn't just so stupid.

I still chuckle when I was told about the German fans singing “ your shit, and you know you are” back at lairy England fans, in perfect English.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Agreed re the ages and clothes etc but any anti terrorist song isn’t bad is it? It’s a bit bizarre though. The Jhiadi John one is quite funny.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I never understand why everyone is so afraid or appalled to be English. I live in a Rugby town and everyone is falling over themselves to support Wales, Ireland or Scotland during the 6 nations 'because my Grandads Cousins cat was called Jock and ate deep fried Mars bars on occasion' There are without doubt utter bell ends who follow England but then that's not unique to one country, Scotland has more than it's fair share (Rangers in Manchester for example in 2008) but the media prefer to ignore the hoolie element and show some haggis eating bagpipe player.

We are the home of some great literature, history, Music, More or less than entire F1 industry, Some beautiful countryside, Monty Python, Fish and chips and the Red telephone box. Quite why everyone forgets all about that and wants to turn Scottish or Irish because of a few bells luzzing bikes in the canal is beyond me. In-Ger-Land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here