Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear....Dale Stephens

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think you will find it goes way beyond that. The last time I remember winning a match without him was Massive away 2016. Which was incidentally the exception that everyone used as the basis of their arguments against the notion that we don't function as a 442 without him, which ultimately just proves it is true.

Let's hope we break that rut tomorrow.

The poster just referred to PL so I kept my response at that

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I fully accept the examples given but our 2 first choice CM are Propper and Stephens so when did not having an able cover for them hinder us prior to Stephens latest 'minor' injury.

It is quite likely though that the reason they are our first choices is because they were the only 2 available for the first months of the season.

Had Kayal not been injured at that time we may well have started the premier League with the Kayal/Stephens axis of the previous season, and with lots of minutes under their belts would have performed in a manner that kept them as first choices, leaving Propper as cover for the 2 of them, and for Gross.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is quite likely though that the reason they are our first choices is because they were the only 2 available for the first months of the season.

Had Kayal not been injured at that time we may well have started the premier League with the Kayal/Stephens axis of the previous season, and with lots of minutes under their belts would have performed in a manner that kept them as first choices, leaving Propper as cover for the 2 of them, and for Gross.

The amount paid for Propper, at the time he was our record signing, would suggest that he was always destined to start as was Stephens who we fought to keep.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The amount paid for Propper, at the time he was our record signing, would suggest that he was always destined to start as was Stephens who we fought to keep.

ah ok, same as Locadia then?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ideally I suspect it would have been a phased introduction - like Jose and Jurgen - but CH was screwed as Kayal and Sidwell were injured.

We can only speculate as nobody is fully in the know but I would disagree with that and suggest that Propper was always going to be first choice and because we fought to keep Stephens and allegedly gave him a hefty rise he was always set to be the partner to Propper. Sidwell and Kayal were always going to be squad members but not first choice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We can only speculate as nobody is fully in the know but I would disagree with that and suggest that Propper was always going to be first choice and because we fought to keep Stephens and allegedly gave him a hefty rise he was always set to be the partner to Propper. Sidwell and Kayal were always going to be squad members but not first choice.

Jose was ‘always going to be first choice’ as well, but he was introduced gradually to get up to speed with the PL. would have been the same with Propper I reckon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jose was ‘always going to be first choice’ as well, but he was introduced gradually to get up to speed with the PL. would have been the same with Propper I reckon.

Again we disagree due to the time of the signing Jose was signed a few days before the off so had had no chance to train with us or have a pre season unlike Propper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Again we disagree due to the time of the signing Jose was signed a few days before the off so had had no chance to train with us or have a pre season unlike Propper.

What ? Propper signed just 5 days before we played Man City. Jose was signed after the season started. Neither had any chance to train or play ‘pre season’.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What ? Propper signed just 5 days before we played Man City. Jose was signed after the season started. Neither had any chance to train or play ‘pre season’.

Propper had 5 days as Man City was our first game. As you say the season had started when Jose signed and it was busy time for games so very little actual training.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Propper had 5 days as Man City was our first game.

I think that’s what I just posted fella - so he had to be thrown into that game with little or no idea of how we played or what the PL was like to play in. He had to be though, because Kayal and Sidwell were injured. He looked all at sea in the game too - seem to recall he was flamed on here as a waste of money as is normal with NSC after one game.

Jose didn’t join ‘just before the off’ either. It was several days after.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was impressed with Propper from day 1. Even if fit I dont think that either Kayal; or Sidwell would have been picked but nobody knows for sure only 1 man CH.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was impressed with Propper from day 1. Even if fit I dont think that either Kayal; or Sidwell would have been picked but nobody knows for sure only 1 man CH.

We had Sidwell and Kayal, both missing for a big chunk of the season. That DID have an effect, whatever you try to pretend. Do you think Hughton wanted to leave Stephens and Propper on for every minute of every game, even when one or both were clearly struggling? It is also quite possible that Stephens workload up until now has contributed to his current injury.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Dale Stephens always gives Brighton a better chance of victory if he is playing - nobody is indispensible but some teams suffer badly if a key man is missing for any length of time.

In Burnley's 2013/14 promotion season, our main midfielder Dean Marney started 38 and missed 8 through injury or suspension. With Marney, W24 D11 L3....without Marney W2 D4 L2. In the PL the following season, we were on course to stay up until Yacob "crippled" Marney a week after the January window shut, and his cruciate injury forced him to miss the final 18 games - only 3 of which were won. Talk to any Burnley fan and they'd most likely say we'd have avoided relegation without Marney's injury.

I see Stephens as a Marney-type ball winner whose energy and will-to-win drives the team forward without neglecting defensive duties. If you'd only had Stephens available for 20 games this season, how many less points would the Seagulls have?

I am a huge fan of Stephen Ward who hardly ever grabs the headlines - it's all Pope, Heaton, Tarkowski, Mee, Brady, Defour, Cork etc.

Ward missed 10 games this season from Dec-Feb - we did not win a single one (W0 D5 L5). He returned 4 games ago (won 3 on the trot and denied a win by a contentious 90th minute equaliser against Southampton).

With Ward, this season W12 D5 L4....and many deluded Burnley fans were complaining when Dyche recalled SW to replace Charlie Taylor. Players like Ward (and Stephens) are worth their weight in gold.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Dale Stephens always gives Brighton a better chance of victory if he is playing - nobody is indispensible but some teams suffer badly if a key man is missing for any length of time.

In Burnley's 2013/14 promotion season, our main midfielder Dean Marney started 38 and missed 8 through injury or suspension. With Marney, W24 D11 L3....without Marney W2 D4 L2. In the PL the following season, we were on course to stay up until Yacob "crippled" Marney a week after the January window shut, and his cruciate injury forced him to miss the final 18 games - only 3 of which were won. Talk to any Burnley fan and they'd most likely say we'd have avoided relegation without Marney's injury.

I see Stephens as a Marney-type ball winner whose energy and will-to-win drives the team forward without neglecting defensive duties. If you'd only had Stephens available for 20 games this season, how many less points would the Seagulls have?

I am a huge fan of Stephen Ward who hardly ever grabs the headlines - it's all Pope, Heaton, Tarkowski, Mee, Brady, Defour, Cork etc.

Ward missed 10 games this season from Dec-Feb - we did not win a single one (W0 D5 L5). He returned 4 games ago (won 3 on the trot and denied a win by a contentious 90th minute equaliser against Southampton).

With Ward, this season W12 D5 L4....and many deluded Burnley fans were complaining when Dyche recalled SW to replace Charlie Taylor. Players like Ward (and Stephens) are worth their weight in gold.

A good post, I often think that the likes of Dale Stephens, (and Dean Marney presumably), are only ever really noticed when they aren't playing. Folr the time that they are on the pitch, they just go about their game quietly and efficiently. Being the engine room of their respective teams, they set the whole team playing.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was gutted when Ward went to Burnley instead of coming to us. Couldn't blame him at the time though. He was quality for us; only overshadowed by how brilliant Wayne Bridge was before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here