Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear....Dale Stephens

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So no specific examples from the 50 updates this season by Hughton that demonstrate he’s lying at press conferences. ?

Thought not.

Where have I said he was lying? Being economical with the truth yes, but that is an observation. I just take it all with a pinch of salt these days on the injury updates.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why are you being so entitled? Firstly your ST, even if it's the best 1901 seat in the house, doesn't mean the club have an obligation to inform you about every twist and turn involving an injured player. But, if it did, what about people who casually follow us but go maybe once or twice a season? Should the 1901ers get private medical reports emailed to them? Should those with a set amount of loyalty points be invited for a look round the Lancing medical facilities every couple of weeks?

Yes, whether Stephens is playing makes a difference. His job is obvious to anyone watching a couple of videos of us. Break up play, win back the ball, pass it to a blue and white shirt. Kayal is a slightly different player and opposition managers will have slightly different strategies for each. But then, if Kayal is also a doubt, and we say that out loud, the oppo are going to know it's either going to be a change in formation, or Gross drops back in to the 4, or we play an under 23.

As for the bolded bit, why not bluff, given the above? But maybe we don't. Injuries change all the time. From my experience long distance running I've found one injury can very easily lead to another. If you come back too early you can aggravate it. If it changes your running style then you can put pressure on another part of your body and damage that. Yes, our pro physios should manage that better than I do myself but it's incredibly easy for one thing to turn to another. I've had a hip problem quickly turn in to a groin tear and abdomen problem just by stretching for a football that was kicked off the pitch while I was watching my son.

Stating that the injury updates are vague and often worse than originally intimated is not being entitled and where have I said I am a 1901 season ticket holder so have a right to know more than any other fan?

Where did that comment come from, in fact where have I ever linked having a season ticket and being entitled to know things? You just made that up didn’t you?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure how us not knowing if Stephens is playing or not can possibly influence how another team plays against us, it isn’t close to being as important as knowing what you list above in your rather sarcy response to BG. We are weaker without Stephens and pretending he might play makes absolutely no difference to how teams set up when he doesn’t, it just makes control of the midfield easier for them....imo

I have no expectation of the club being anywhere near honest about injuries these days.

Where have I said he was lying? Being economical with the truth yes, but that is an observation. I just take it all with a pinch of salt these days on the injury updates.

Sorry i thought when you say that Chris Hughton is "not being honest" or is "Anywhere near honest" multiple times i can assume you mean he's lying. Apologies if thats not the case.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The trouble is, there is nothing to say that the grade of tear wasn’t worse than first thought or alternatively, worsened or had a negative reaction during rehab.

He doesn’t get many right though...... [emoji2]
(Edit - or perhaps it feels like that when it is an important player, probably desperate supporters).

Just as well he’s a brilliant manager.

Exactly. Diagnosing and treating many sporting injuries is not an exact science. All you can do is go off an estimate of recovery based on prior experience and data. A particular grade of hamstring tear may typically be 2 - 4 weeks, however as you've said a slight tweak in rehab, or relapse, or slower recovery than expected really alters that time.

CH might want to be optimistic in his press conferences, but disingenuous by some to suggest he's being dishonest.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry i thought when you say that Chris Hughton is "not being honest" or is "Anywhere near honest" multiple times i can assume you mean he's lying. Apologies if thats not the case.

Not being honest is not lying in my book, I did not intend for it to come across as suggesting he was lying. Economical with the truth is probably what I should have said. Anyway it means we cannot read too much into what is said at press conferences.

If I thought he was lying, that is exactly the wording I’d use

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not being honest is not lying in my book, I did not intend for it to come across as suggesting he was lying. Economical with the truth is probably what I should have said. Anyway it means we cannot read too much into what is said at press conferences.

Fair enough. Its a shame you think Chris Hughton is dishonest, economical with the truth, and everything he says can be taken with a pinch of salt but thats up to you.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Trouble is, there isn't always a truth with injuries, there isn't a definitive factual account of how long recovery will take, how bad an injury will be. Scans and tests can only tell you so much, and do not always reveal everything. Perhaps in the absence of definitive advice from the medical team, CH can be creative with what he wants to say. Perhaps that is what you are saying too, but CH is our man and it seems critical to me at least to suggest he's not being honest or economical with the truth, when the truth is probably that he and his team have to have a bit of a guess.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Trouble is, there isn't always a truth with injuries, there isn't a definitive factual account of how long recovery will take, how bad an injury will be. Scans and tests can only tell you so much, and do not always reveal everything. Perhaps in the absence of definitive advice from the medical team, CH can be creative with what he wants to say. Perhaps that is what you are saying too, but CH is our man and it seems critical to me at least to suggest he's not being honest or economical with the truth, when the truth is probably that he and his team have to have a bit of a guess.

Fair comment but I don’t recall the last time it was suggested at the time that an injury would keep the player out for quite some time. I.E a couple of weeks or more. Bar obviously serious injuries like Kayals. I’m sure Chailey will be able to tell me though, he seems to have all these facts readily available :smile:

If Stephens does continue to miss games, Beram is a very able replacement. We just don’t need them injured at the same time, that would cause major problems in the midfield.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair comment but I don’t recall the last time it was suggested at the time that an injury would keep the player out for quite some time. I.E a couple of weeks or more. Bar obviously serious injuries like Kayals. I’m sure Chailey will be able to tell me though, he seems to have all these facts readily available :smile:

How about Gaeten Bong who has been out for the same time as Dale. Chris has given several updates on his progress over the last few weeks, including yesterday.
Do you believe what Hughton has been saying about him ?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

If Stephens does continue to miss games, Beram is a very able replacement. We just don’t need them injured at the same time, that would cause major problems in the midfield.

Also thought Gross looked very able dropping back into a more CM role in the MU cup game. And we always have Bruno to fill in there...:moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also thought Gross looked very able dropping back into a more CM role in the MU cup game. And we always have Bruno to fill in there...:moo:

Don't you start moving Gross around the pitch.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Argus articles are impossible to read on a phone now as you just get redirected to spammy sites within seconds of opening the page.
He told The Argus: “Dale went away with us.

“We initially felt it was in his hamstring but it is not a hamstring strain.

“Sometimes that can be a little bit neural (nerves). What you have to be able to do is take it easy. Even though in the work he has done he hasn’t been feeling it, it’s going to that next stage.

“He was away with us but at this moment it is probably too big a risk for us to start him.

“We have to do what is right for what he is feeling and we can only get that advice from the medical department.”

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How about Gaeten Bong who has been out for the same time as Dale. Chris has given several updates on his progress over the last few weeks, including yesterday.
Do you believe what Hughton has been saying about him ?

It will not surprise me if he does play but then it won’t suprise me if he doesn’t either :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He told The Argus: “Dale went away with us.

“We initially felt it was in his hamstring but it is not a hamstring strain.

“Sometimes that can be a little bit neural (nerves). What you have to be able to do is take it easy. Even though in the work he has done he hasn’t been feeling it, it’s going to that next stage.

“He was away with us but at this moment it is probably too big a risk for us to start him.

“We have to do what is right for what he is feeling and we can only get that advice from the medical department.”

Maybe sub?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here