Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear....Dale Stephens

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No, not having this again, I have not said anything other than Stephens won’t be playing. Where have I suggested CH is lying? :smile:

I have only seen Naylor’s tweet and have no idea what CH has been saying. I am just going on how things generally pan out when players are doubtful, so I don’t expect Stephens to be playing or even on the bench.

You take it all too personally!

Not at all.
You like several posters want to have it both ways which is not to be accused of calling Hughton a liar , cos that would be ridiculous , but nonetheless be allowed to doubt the truth of everything he says cos you’re impatient for a player to get fit. and then get irked cos I point that out.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It really doesn’t. He’s done multiple updates this season (I’ve counted 50+) giving full detail about injury updates and none have turned out to be misinformation.

I know that you push this point, and its fair to do so, but the reason that 'Brighton players with supposedly slight knocks are out for months' has becomes a meme, is because we have all seen it time and time again, and please don't deny that we haven't. We've all experienced it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is there any point in having a discussion with ChailyJem on anything club related.

There are clearly times in the last few seasons the club haven't been 100% truthful with fans about the injuries of some players, however I dont blame them as it keeps it away from the opposition as well.

Its a running joke amoungst my friends that if a player is out for a week or two you should expect a couple of months at least.

Zamora, Kayal, Sidwell, Bong injuries all in the last couple of seasons have started out small and ended up being much longer.

Yes players sometimes take far longer to recover than the initial prognosis. Why the conspiracy theories though and accusations that Hughton is a liar ? For the vast majority of players this isn’t the case though and they are routine estimates that turn out to then happen (see Bong v Leicester) . Those updates , there are dozens thus season, are conveniently forgotten when someone struggles to get back out there. And then the hysterical mind game nonsense begins.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The point is that way back when, this was described as a minor training ground knock. The question is, how has it morphed into something really quite serious that requires a number of weeks absence? Nobody is accusing anyone of telling porkies. It would just be nice to know.

Hughton explained that at quite boring length at last weeks press conference. And yes people are accusing him of lying. A certain bhafc twitter account that should know better with tens of thousands of followers did exactly that. Luckily most of NSC wouldn’t do that.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yes players sometimes take far longer to recover than the initial prognosis. Why the conspiracy theories though and accusations that Hughton is a liar ? For the vast majority of players this isn’t the case though and they are routine estimates that turn out to then happen (see Bong v Leicester) . Those updates , there are dozens thus season, are conveniently forgotten when someone struggles to get back out there. And then the hysterical mind game nonsense begins.

No one is hysterical about it, I just dont generally believe what is said in press conferences unless he states they will be playing.

For me a Hughton press conference is about as hit and miss as the weather forecast.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ

I think the point is that the club might sometimes be deliberately obtuse with the initial prognosis.

Now it might well be that each time they genuinely do expect the player to be 'close' or suffering only from a 'minor knock' and problems later arise, but this has happened numerous times now and with the expertise that they possess do we really believe that?

I don't have a problem with it, why help the opposition manager out?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No one is hysterical about it, I just dont generally believe what is said in press conferences unless he states they will be playing.

For me a Hughton press conference is about as hit and miss as the weather forecast.

He did 30 updates on players from Sept to Xmas and their injury status in press conferences last year. I know . I counted em. All were “hits” or turned out to be as he called it. All of em.
The weather forecast is normally right too.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

While I mostly agree, you yourself seem to have conveniently forgotten times where the club/CH have played on an injury - like Stephens in the Reading and Toon fixtures last season. Unless of course you actually believe that the club would leave a player at the training ground on match day to "get up to speed" after picking up a "knock" in the full 90mins against Rotherham less than a week prior. I'd pay you the compliment that you don't.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
While I mostly agree, you yourself seem to have conveniently forgotten times where the club/CH have played on an injury - like Stephens in the Reading and Toon fixtures last season. Unless of course you actually believe that the club would leave a player at the training ground on match day to "get up to speed" after picking up a "knock" in the full 90mins against Rotherham less than a week prior. I'd pay you the compliment that you don't.

Agreed. I’m not that obtuse. And I’ve not forgotten it. Extreme Exception, nearly 2 years ago, not the rule.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He did 30 updates on players from Sept to Xmas and their injury status in press conferences last year. I know . I counted em. All were “hits” or turned out to be as he called it. All of em.
The weather forecast is normally right too.

You have nothing better to do with your time? Crikey.

If you cant see there are times and generally times with key players where information is held back then well there is no hoping you. you are just another mouth peice for the club.

It doesnt bother me, its all games, its been going on for years, look at Kane, he was out and might not make it back before the world cup. he pops up on the bench against chelsea.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The stats on press conference injury updates are somewhat immaterial in a sense this year in that we've been lucky enough to have virtually no injuries, ergo there has been no need/opportunity to play coy anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The stats on press conference injury updates are somewhat immaterial in a sense this year in that we've been lucky enough to have virtually no injuries, ergo there has been no need/opportunity to play coy anyway.

We've had multiple minor injuries , and players returning from long term injuries (Kayal, Baldock). I'll leave it for you to decide whether he's being "coy" nor not (another euphemism !) but for the updates in press conferences this season, if he's said they were fit, getting a run out in u23s etc. They were.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know that you push this point, and its fair to do so, but the reason that 'Brighton players with supposedly slight knocks are out for months' has becomes a meme, is because we have all seen it time and time again, and please don't deny that we haven't. We've all experienced it.

Yes. But How often is it really ? This season then its at a push Baldock taking longer to recover from an injury in pre-season (lots of wild theories about that one on here unfortunately). Sidwell hardly qualifies given he's had 2 serious injuries one after the other.
Kayal recovered a few weeks earlier than expected. And Stephens has so far missed a couple of matches. Murray was supposed to be out for months but it turned out to be a month.
Anyone else ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all.
You like several posters want to have it both ways which is not to be accused of calling Hughton a liar , cos that would be ridiculous , but nonetheless be allowed to doubt the truth of everything he says cos you’re impatient for a player to get fit. and then get irked cos I point that out.

Now you’re getting obsessive and a little paranoid. How can saying that Stephens won’t be playing, having seen no comments at all from CH in the last 7 days, be suggesting that CH is lying? I am intrigued to know how you come to this conclusion.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He had a slight knock before the Everton game on the 10th March. A month later he then missed the next two games and a month later is a doubt for the next. That doesn't sound like a slight knock to me. And it's also a bit weird that he was outside training with everyone else.

Well, at first it was a knock. Then it was a hamstring. Or not actually a hamstring, but something to do with a nerve in or near a hamstring. But he was outside training. But they didn't want to push it. Frankly, if a six-pointer against Huddersfield isn't the time to push it, at least as far as the bench, then I wonder what they are waiting for. Anfield on the last day, perhaps?

Today Hodgson said that Benteke had limped out of training 'feeling his groin' and that the doctor couldn't say whether he'll be fit for Bournemouth on Saturday (some might say Benteke missing the game could only be in Palace's favour). But uncle Roy did rather hint that in his day, players were so desperate to play that they'd strap an injury up and get on with it and that Benteke might be invited to do the same.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014

Before Stephens' injury, I was starting to believe that all Brighton players were indestructible.:)

Your medical staff will certainly deserve their "staying up" bonuses.:)

Dyche is notoriously misleading when discussing injuries. His favourite is....."Player X is touch and go". "Touch and go" in Dyche-speak is at least six weeks on the sidelines (eg Stephen Ward and Chris Wood this season).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here