Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Baseball Season - 2018

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
A colleague in the office went to that game against the White Sox. It just goes to show how much a Spring Training game is as poor an indicator of regular season performance as a pre-season friendly is in England. Of the 6 D'backs pitchers that played in that game, only one (the one who didn't give up a run!) is currently on the D'backs roster. Two days later, I was at Salt River Fields and saw them lose 14-0 to the Giants! (and they lost their main signing, Steven Souza, to injury).

Does your mum live over here, or was she on vacation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Souza

Steven Souza

Personal life
Early in his baseball career, Souza lived a lifestyle characterized by "drinking, staying out late, chasing women." After his live-in girlfriend cheated on him with a teammate, and he had a confrontation with Potomac Nationals manager Matt LeCroy, Souza briefly quit baseball in 2011. Brent Lillibridge, a friend and former Major League player, invited him to attend his Christian church outside Seattle. Souza accepted, and after a period of time said he "could feel the Lord moving" and was baptized at age 22. He returned to baseball and worked to turn his life around.

Souza married Mikaela Peckman in 2015. The couple welcome their first child, a son named Micah, in December 2016.

I was feeling sorry for Souza until I read the part about him becoming a born-again Christian and probably a Trump supporter.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Beat the Marlins 8-6 last night and go 9-1, their best start ever start - go Mets !

Just waiting for it to all go horribly wrong

(...oh, and the Yankees got spanked 14-1 by the Red Sox !!)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Beat the Marlins 8-6 last night and go 9-1, their best start ever start - go Mets !

Just waiting for it to all go horribly wrong

(...oh, and the Yankees got spanked 14-1 by the Red Sox !!)

Lovely stuff :lolol:

The Red Sox have got off to a flying start, also 9-1 only losing their first match.

I'm delighted with the Jays start to the season. 8-4 after a tight 2-1 victory over the Orioles last night. Sanchez almost making history by giving away no hits until the 8th innings :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]984215353151533057[/tweet]

Horrible incident last night in Cleveland, with Jordan Zimmerman copping a 106mph return line drive right in the FACE. Luckily he only had a bruised jaw - which he'd already had pins and reconstructive surgery on a few years ago when exactly the same thing happened when he was pitching in the minors. Blimey. (Kipnes still ran for 1st though, but was out) :lolol:

In other news, a smart little 2-1 series win last night for the Twins over the current world champions the Houston Astros. In typical fashion they frittered away an 8-1 lead, with the Astros levelling it 8-8 at the top of the 9th, only for Kepler to rescue things with a walk-off HR in the bottom of the 9th.

Lovely.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've got Corbin and Robbie Ray in as many fantasy leagues as possible.

Saw your boy Corbin pitch last night:-

Corbin.jpg

It was an absolute masterpiece. Had a no-hitter going through two outs in the seventh (helped by a fantastic catch by centre-fielder AJ Pollock in the sixth). Finally ended by a checked-swing single by Belt that, with the shift on, gave the third baseman just too much to do.

Corbin did get the complete game shutout though; 1 hit, 1 walk and 8 strikeouts in exactly 100 pitches. He also helped score the D'backs' run, laying down a perfect sacrifice bunt to advance Dyson to second, who scored on David Peralta's single up the middle.

To be fair, Johnny Cueto was almost as good for the Giants, with 11 strikeouts and just 2 hits in 7 innings. It was the classic pitchers' duel. The game only took 2 hrs 5 minutes!

You never know what you are going to see when you go to a baseball game, but last night was something special.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Game 16 and the Mets are 12-4 and still top of NL East.

Yankees beaten 9-1 by the Marlins (now owned by ex Yankee Derek Jeter)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Twins beat Indians in 16 innings in Puerto Rico

Looking forward to the rumoured two game series in London next year, just a shame it looks like being Yanks Red Sox

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Any Reds fans here?
Any who will own up to being a Reds fan?
What a disaster of a season so far. First manager sacked so far this season.
And we just won our 9th straight against them.
Our place in the standings is false- unless we literally could play them every week

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The D'backs go from strength to strength - handing a couple of defeats to the Phillies and in so doing winning the 8th straight series to start the season. The best record in the National League and the second best in MLB. How long can they keep it up?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Meanwhile The Good Guys take the series with the Mets 2-1 with a walk off single in the 13th.
Imagine this though in our league: having just played three games in three days in St Louis The Mets start another three game set tomorrow in San Diego !

And our poor cricketers play too much you know !

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
The London Olympic Stadium will host the Sox and Yankees for two regular season matches next June: clicky

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The London Olympic Stadium will host the Sox and Yankees for two regular season matches next June: clicky

Good choice with the Red Sox but I'm insulted that the Yankees were chosen over the Mets - got to keep the Pikeys happy I suppose

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Phillies quietly going about their work...nice little 11-0 today too!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Cardinals getting swept by those Twins :ffsparr:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cardinals getting swept by those Twins :ffsparr:

Strange season so far. 5 straight wins, off the back of losing 8 out of the previous 9 (including a depressing home series defeat against the Reds FFS). I certainly thought we'd get a WHUPPING at SL, can't explain that win at all.

Well up for taking in one of the Yankees v Red Sox games at London Stadium next summer. If anyone else is interested, there is a link at the bottom of this article https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-red-sox-will-play-in-london-in-2019/c-275777726
...where you can pre-register for tickets for when they go on sale. Doesn't guarantee you'll get a ticket, but probably worth registering for the email updates on when they'll be up for grabs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well up for taking in one of the Yankees v Red Sox games at London Stadium next summer. If anyone else is interested, there is a link at the bottom of this article https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-red-sox-will-play-in-london-in-2019/c-275777726
...where you can pre-register for tickets for when they go on sale. Doesn't guarantee you'll get a ticket, but probably worth registering for the email updates on when they'll be up for grabs.

I doubt I'll bother unless one of the kids fancies it because I'm guessing prices will be absurd. If you've never been to the baseball and feel you ought to try it out, go to a game in the US instead (if that is ever a possibility). This one will feel more touristy than a Man Utd home game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here