Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Australian ball tampering scandal. Who is to BLAME?

Well?

• Cameron Bancroft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Warner

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • Steve Smith

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • All three above

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • All three above plus Darren Lehmann

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • All the above plus the 3 fast bowlers

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • The entire touring party

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • The touring party, plus Paul Hogan, Rolf Harris and Mile Jedinak

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Fanie de Villiers

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I've put "All three above plus Darren Lehmann", but I do feel a bit for Bancroft. While he did it and must have known it wasn't ok, being pressured by senior figures in the Test setup and fearing he'd be dropped if he didn't do as told can't have been pleasant for him.
I agree. He's the Mohammad Amir of the situation. Except he's not as young or vulnerable and shouldn't have been as easy to persuade. He was obviously pressured into it though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've put "All three above plus Darren Lehmann", but I do feel a bit for Bancroft. While he did it and must have known it wasn't ok, being pressured by senior figures in the Test setup and fearing he'd be dropped if he didn't do as told can't have been pleasant for him.

I don't. Not one tiny little bit.

If the current stated version of events is true (that it was all Warner's idea, Bancroft was talked into it, Smith only found out after they'd formulated the plan, and Lehmann knew nothing at all) then when Dastardly Dave came to him, he could have said 'No chance' and gone straight to his captain, or his coach. He chose not to. No sympathy.

If the above version of events is not true, and he was coerced into it, and had no recourse to complain as the captain and coach did know. then he should have explained that to the CA enquiry, and not lied to the world's press. He hasn't.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Rolf Harris, Paul Hogan, Barry Humphries, Skippy the bush kangaroo....... you’re boys took one hell of a chance cheating.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Toady from Neighbours.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
For this incident, directly? I think CA has it spot on. Warner to blame across the board, Smith to blame for not stopping it once he was aware, Bancroft to blame for not refusing to do it.

Ultimately, though, if you dig deeper ... the ICC is to blame, for systematically failing to deal with the issue properly in the past. 2005 Ashes, Faf's been caught twice, Philander has been caught, and plenty of others besides. Faf's penalty at Hobart was nothing more than a slap on the wrist, which epitomises the ICC's complete lack of (tampered) balls to deal with the issue.

Gonna say something controversial here: Football has a similar problem waiting to explode at some point. It's called "diving", especially when it happens in the penalty box.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
sir-les-wine-2_jpg_display.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Beat me to it. My picture of him is nice, though punk:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
For this incident, directly? I think CA has it spot on. Warner to blame across the board, Smith to blame for not stopping it once he was aware, Bancroft to blame for not refusing to do it.

Ultimately, though, if you dig deeper ... the ICC is to blame, for systematically failing to deal with the issue properly in the past. 2005 Ashes, Faf's been caught twice, Philander has been caught, and plenty of others besides. Faf's penalty at Hobart was nothing more than a slap on the wrist, which epitomises the ICC's complete lack of (tampered) balls to deal with the issue.

Gonna say something controversial here: Football has a similar problem waiting to explode at some point. It's called "diving", especially when it happens in the penalty box.

I get it that you're hurting but mentioning the 2005 Ashes on this thread and calling the series "tainted" on the other one is inelegant straw clutching.

I've seen and read a hell of a lot about that series but "tainted" isn't a word I've ever heard used by Ponting, Warne, McGrath, Langer, Gilchrist, Gillespie, Hayden or anyone else.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Don't care what they say, to some degree they all knew about it and said nothing, so sack the lot
Then replay the Ashes series, still wouldn't fancy our chances though.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I get it that you're hurting but mentioning the 2005 Ashes on this thread and calling the series "tainted" on the other one is inelegant straw clutching.

I've seen and read a hell of a lot about that series but "tainted" isn't a word I've ever heard used by Ponting, Warne, McGrath, Langer, Gilchrist, Gillespie, Hayden or anyone else.

Of course they haven't - they've been exceptionally well trained by lawyers to avoid anything that might land them in hot water. However, Bracken did flag up the issue after after the series, and got howled down by indignant English bowlers. Trescothick himself has been pretty clear that he knew at the time that what he was doing was cheating. Vaughan in just the last few days has pretty much accepted it was cheating as well while justifying it on the grounds that 'everyone was doing it'. As such, calling that series "tainted" is entirely fair in my opinion (which is all it is, my opinion - and I would say the same about an Aussie side proven to win a series in which they subsequently admit to cheating). My comments here are at least as fair as the recent attempts to dig up evidence of Aussie ball tampering in the most recent Ashes series - given that both Root and Bayliss have explicitly said they've not got any concerns over that series.

Anyway, point is: I bring it up because it's relevant to a) Vaughan (and any others from that 2005 team) putting himself forward to comment negatively on the current scandal, and b) it's entirely relevant to the ICC's historic failure to deal with the issue appropriately, and resultant failure to stamp out ball tampering.

On a much more positive note, I think Amla's statement yesterday is absolutely spot on and the South Africans are approaching this the right way.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here