Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England goalkeeper for the World Cup?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Obviously been open to much debate, so who do you want?

Butland for me, especially before his first bad injury last year, seemed nailed on.

I would say poll to follow, but wouldn't have a clue how to do one, (Mods????)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Billy the Fish :shrug:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think it really matters, we've played Netherlands and Italy and neither have had a save to make

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are 4 or 5 wafer thin selection decisions Gareth has to make and Butland v Pickford is one of them. My instinct is that he will choose Butland.

What these friendlies tell me about the keeper position is that Pope isn't going to Russia, which means that Hart will go as the 3rd choice

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What about Antti Niemi – or is he finished? :lol:

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
To do well in a major competition you need a world class goalie and England don't have that.It's their biggest weakness.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Put Vardy in goal.

Let's face it - whoever goes between the sticks - it's all futile anyway.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Is it just Me or does anyone else think that if Stockdale had signed a new contract and maintained form,He’d could well be in with a shout for the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
To do well in a major competition you need a world class goalie and England don't have that.It's their biggest weakness.

Midfield is their biggest weakness. We have a plethora of floaty fancy themselves to be number 10s type midfielders, Ox, Lingaard, Alli, Lallana, Sterling but none of them really have any end product. And we have literally no one who can put their foot on the ball and pick a pass. That is a much bigger problem than goalkeeper.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Midfield is their biggest weakness. We have a plethora of floaty fancy themselves to be number 10s type midfielders, Ox, Lingaard, Alli, Lallana, Sterling but none of them really have any end product. And we have literally no one who can put their foot on the ball and pick a pass. That is a much bigger problem than goalkeeper.

We do - Wilshire, unfortunately he has the same fitness trainer as Will Buckley.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sterling has plenty of end product. He scored 20 and assists about 10 for City this season. It’s not his fault the players around him for England are not at that level. He was superb tonight, in the first half. Faded second.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Doesn't matter. It's only a couple of weeks.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Sterling has plenty of end product. He scored 20 and assists about 10 for City this season. It’s not his fault the players around him for England are not at that level. He was superb tonight, in the first half. Faded second.

Sterling was superb tonight. People have had in their minds for a long time that Sterling isn't that good, so it's hard to change that bias. Glad to see that he may be one of the few English players in recent times who may fulfil his potential, instead of going the way of the likes of Theo Walcott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here