Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Singers who can't sing (or those whose voices you can't stand).

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sam Smith. Like girly fingernails on a whiney blackboard.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This thread is really poor. It's about people who can't sing not who you don't like, surely?

Robbie Williams is a good call as he really struggles to actually sing the songs that have been written for him. He's a shit singer. Fair play to him for making a fortune by getting decent tunes and having a "personality" though.

But people saying Kate Bush, Bruce Springsteen, Sam Smith, Amy Winehouse, Joe Cocker, Stevie Wonder etc. You're just wrong.

I'm no massive fan of any of them but they can/could obviously sing, and really, really well.

I can't stand Adele but I'm not about to say she can't sing as I'd be a ****ing idiot to do so. It's just that I think her songs are rubbish and she's hugely overhyped.

People who can't sing include the bloke from Franz Ferdinand (they also can't play instruments properly and are a joke of a live band), Ricky Wilson off've Kaiser Chiefs, The Spice Girls apart from Mel C, Simon Le Bon (as mentioned), David Essex (he's not from a reality TV show for younger people), Cilla Black (awful warbling scouseness).

Oh and if we're including Williams (which we should) then Mark bloody Owen who even on songs scripted for him by the tax dodging **** Barlow, and even when it's massively overproduced, he manages to sound like a dying hamster with severe nasal congestion. Hearing him sing live (on TV I stress) it's actually embarrassing.

Aim the arrows correctly.

Re-read the question. It's not about people who can't sing, nor people who you don't like. It says "who can't sing (or whose voices you can't stand)." Whereas you could argue that those you have mentioned in your first paragraph would not fit into the first category, they could all be individual's responses to the second part of the question. Amy Winehouse for instance sang well enough to get a place at stage school, obviously could hold a tune, but decided to try to channel Billie Holliday instead of singing in her natural voice. I couldn't stand it, or the influence it has had on endless numbers of UK female pop singers who have followed. It's not just about whether singers are technically good, but about the choice they make when approaching a song.

You're right about Cilla Black though.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Elton John. This is the category where I think his songs are legendary but during the last little while when hearing him sing live I just cringe.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I love Robert Wyatt's voice but can see how some people might not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZiOOD0HRU

13 pages and no has mentioned the horrible whine that issues from Kevin Rowlands mouth for Dexys Midnight Runners?

Couldn't bear the Whole Band from the moment I saw the dungarees and neckerchiefs, they looked like extras from Oklahoma although they were actually from Erdington and the like... :tosser:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A few controversial entries from me.

Stevie Wonder
Bruce Springsteen
Paul Simon
Tim Burgess (Charlatans)
Paul Heaton (Beautiful South)
Seal
Phil Lynott
Steve Harley
Lisa Stansfield
Willie Nelson
That singer from Mott The Hoople

I know most of those are bloody great singers but their voices just make me want to reach for the fast forward button.

Wow, your life must be a blur!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dexys Midnight Runners?

Couldn't bear the Whole Band from the moment I saw the dungarees and neckerchiefs, they looked like extras from Oklahoma although they were actually from Erdington and the like... :tosser:

Was that the first time you noticed them? Did you miss them in 1980 when Geno got to number one and they weren't wearing dungarees and neckerchiefs, but all looked like extras from 'Mean Streets'? They made some great records in all of their incarnations, but I could understand why some people may find Rowland's singing a bit mannered.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Adele. She's incredibly talented as a songwriter but I really can't stand her voice.

As for those who can't sing, it's always surprised me that the Spice Girls were the international smash they were given of the five only one could sing (Mel C).

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It's never failed to amaze me how Simon Le Bon got to be a lead singer in a band. Although he may be able to just about hold a tune within a very limited vocal range he insists on pitching his songs at a level which far exceed his very limited vocal abilities and way beyond his upper vocal range. One of the best examples of this is his caterwailing on the song "Wild Boys" where his voice is constantly on the verge of cracking under the strain to the point where it is excruciatingly painful to listen to. My long held opinion of his over ambitious singing abilities was vindicated when I saw him performing View to a Kill on Live Aid where his voice broke into a little squeak mid note.

Are there any singers who in your opinion can't actually sing or simply whose voices you can't stand listening to regardless of their vocal abilities.

See Simon Le Bon lose control of his voice at Live Aid in this clip at 2.50

*https://youtu.be/mINh8ZOWSLw

I saw an interview with him once and he described that as the "worst moment of his life"

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Who was the lead singer of the Beach Boys? Brian Wilson?

Him.

Given that he is deaf in one ear, and partially deaf in the other, he's doing well to get out any notes at all.
Makes his decent work on Pet Sounds even more remarkable.

But I guess I would say that, being a big fan!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Another vote for Ellie Goulding here. Strange, strange voice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here