Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] 2nd hand car advice please

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
After many years of diesel VW Golf lease cars, we're going to be in the market for a 2nd hand car. Any tips please? I'm thinking of a petrol Skoda Fabia estate, but would like a car in the lowest road tax bracket. A mate said 'buy at 3 (years), sell at 6'. Any good websites to compare and buy (Autotrader was mentioned) and any pitfalls to avoid? Cheers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After many years of diesel VW Golf lease cars, we're going to be in the market for a 2nd hand car. Any tips please? I'm thinking of a petrol Skoda Fabia estate, but would like a car in the lowest road tax bracket. A mate said 'buy at 3 (years), sell at 6'. Any good websites to compare and buy (Autotrader was mentioned) and any pitfalls to avoid? Cheers.

Your choice of car is very personal so can't advise on which one to buy but my advise is quite obvious.
I would not buy a 2nd hand car that was not serviced every time it was supposed to and has never been in an accident, make sure the cam belt if applicable has been changed and when it's due a new one, look out for misuse by looking very carefully around the car especially the alloy wheels.
Do not hold back on getting it thoroughly checked out even from a main dealer.
Personally I would go with a very well looked after German car that has done less than 50k, they are usually good for 200,000 if you were thinking of keeping it long term.
Many years ago we got a 2nd hand Toyota from a main dealer, absolute pile of shit and it had been in an accident previously(we did not check that out )

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
Try and get an ex motability car as they are regularly serviced an well looked after. I bought a 62 plate Nissan note with 5485 on the clock in 2016 and it was in mint condition. Cost me 6200

theboybilly

Don't be a badge snob. We have a 2014 Hyundai i10 - it's well put together and it has everything on it you need (aircon, cruise control, central locking etc) and at nearly 40,000 miles still feels as good as new even after some heavy use moving stuff about. You should find the car to suit your needs in their range.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Try and get an ex motability car as they are regularly serviced an well looked after. I bought a 62 plate Nissan note with 5485 on the clock in 2016 and it was in mint condition. Cost me 6200

I agree that they’re regularly serviced, as per the conditions of the contract, however, in my experience motability cars are some of the most abused vehicles you’ll find. There are some lovely examples though.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If you have time on your side then you should be fine.

We decided in November to replace the wife's 02 Civic with a 7 seater, she wanted a Zafira. I worked off an estimate that a car will depreciate at around 20% per year. We bought a 4 year old Zafira with less than 50,000 miles.

Prices ranged from £6,000 to £7,000 but we found a dealer in Hassocks selling them around £5,500. I did have about 10 weeks to monitor the market and didn't find another dealer that was as competitive. We bought it in Feb and it's been excellent

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I agree that they’re regularly serviced, as per the conditions of the contract, however, in my experience motability cars are some of the most abused vehicles you’ll find. There are some lovely examples though.

Generally dented and bashed which slashes the price you need to pay......But normally fully serviced and low mileage !! Shoreham Car Auctions have reg sales they have not been done up for Auction and are good buys!!

300 inc motability cars this thursday !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't be a badge snob. We have a 2014 Hyundai i10 - it's well put together and it has everything on it you need (aircon, cruise control, central locking etc) and at nearly 40,000 miles still feels as good as new even after some heavy use moving stuff about. You should find the car to suit your needs in their range.
If you go for a Hyundai i10, fine, but don't expect you'll get the economy the spec promises. I've got a 2014 model, in mint condition, with only 30 K on the clock. However, no matter how lightly I touch the accelerator, how many tricks I use (like free wheeling up to traffic lights and road junctions) and normally travelling with only one-up (me) in the vehicle I can't even get close to 40mpg out of it.
Soon as he decent weather arrives (car selling season) I'm getting shot of the bl**dy heap of rubbish as quickly as I can.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Another vouch for Japanese, their warranties are transferable to a new owner. They are extremely reliable and cheap to service.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone recommend a dealer from whom i can pick up a below 5k Honda?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got my last one from Westgate Honda yes its OP NORF so cheaper but they deliver. I got a good recomendation of them from an insurance company I used to work for.

By OP NORF I assumed you meant Horsham way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Erm no they are based in Grimsby a bit of a trip from Horsham

bit of a trip from Horsham FROM HORSHAM, I'm reeling from the thought of have to go as far north AS Horsham.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You dont have to, find a car you can go for arrrange delivery and purchase on condition of passing an AA check

After the most half arsed search possible (if only cars had just 2 wheels and no engine, I could do this for days) it would seem my sub £5k price point has me in Honda Jazz country instead of Civic, from a main dealer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here