Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eng-Ger-Land v Italy tonight

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
However you try to disguise it the ref made a mistake and VAR rectified it which must benefit football in the long run.

Only if you want a sterile, mistake-free and perfect game. However, if you're normal and accept that football is played and officiated by humans, and that mistakes happen and are a part of the fabric of the game, then no.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Try to remember your greatest Albion moment

I’ll use mine as an example, Storer’s goal against Doncaster … Now rank this in the most exhilarating orgasmic moments of your life. Mine are ….

1) Storer v Doncaster
2) Reinelt at Hereford
3) Birth my of first son
4) Birth of my second son
5) McShane V Palace

That level of exhilaration is impossible to recreate in any other field in your life. In other words it is the best you will ever feel ….. in your life … ever.

(I’ll let you off if the birth of your kids etc is actually a bigger for you than an Albion goal. My point stands, those goal moments are up there)

Now imagine there was VAR.

In the Doncaster game, well, there was a bit of a melee before the goal, no suggestion that it should be disallowed, but Doncaster, given their position, would certainly have appealed to the ref to check it. Most likely in a few seconds that would have been waved away.

But the consequence is this … That brief moment of unrivalled joy …. that one singularity of utter high … would have been diluted, maybe just by 1 or 2%, by anxiety that the ref might be talked into a review and pick out some slight shirt tug in the build up.

VAR. It’s not a question of how quick or good it can be made. It’s just not worth the price.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
VAR is not "for" the fans/customers.
It's there to stop teams from losing out on revenue when relegated or knocked out of a cup round. To ensure fairness over a season so the worst teams are relegated because they weren't as good as those above them or they were knocked out of a cup because they didn't score as many goals as their cup opponent, not because of a dodgy decision by some barely competent referee.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
However you try to disguise it the ref made a mistake and VAR rectified it which must benefit football in the long run.

I'm not trying to "disguise" anything whatsoever. I'm stating the rules by which VARS is supposed implemented - to correct clear and obvious mistakes by the referee. Are you honestly saying that the initial non-award of that penalty was a clear and obvious mistake ? Are you saying that it was a STONEWALL penalty that the referee missed ? Really ?

This doesn't benefit football in the long run BG. Because now its opened the door on exactly what a lot of people feared. Its not being used for clear and obvious decisions - its being used for marginal and ambiguous ones, like last night.

And the higher the stakes, the more the pressure, the more the officials are going to lean on it. Sure, it'll get some of it right. But at what cost ? We're going to see goals (belatedly) chalked off. We're going to see highly debatable decisions made even MORE debatable. we're going to see more delays in the action. We're going to have goal celebrations put on hold.

And this will benefit football in the long run ? Right-o. You like watching a different type of game to me then.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Right, I've let that sink in and I can't help thinking you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
Some refs haven't used VAR before? So what? As long as the rules as to when it should be invoked are clear, there really ought not to be a problem.

Personally I'm fed up with top level games being decided by poor decisions. Maradona's hand of God, TWO Sol Campbell headers disallowed (Argentina, Portugal), Lampard's goal that was only five feet over the goal line - and that is just England. I'd much rather FIFA persevered with VAR but made an effort to get it working properly.

What about 1966? Technology may have prevented our greatest achievement as a country as I am far from convinced the ball crossed the line for the third goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Come on you know most goals are good goals and there are not many disputes.

The idea of Var is very positive.It just needs to be perfected.

As an England fan I would have thought you would be in favour of Var as you usually play against
cheating diving spics like Italy.I mean,England players never dive do they.

A slightly odd rant. Italy didn't cheat last night, I never claimed they did, nor did I make any derogatory racist remarks.

Obviously most goals are 'good' goals. But we're going to have to get used to quite a few of them getting the all-clear now from someone sitting in a booth, before we can actually celebrate them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The process was implemented incorrectly but a pen was correctly given.What's the problem?

It wasn't a penalty. The contact was completely accidental, a 50-50 coming together that wouldn't have been a foul, or reviewed, if it was in the centre circle. In fact, there's another issue. Let's say that precise challenge was in the centre circle. Ref waves play on, ball is in play, VAR can't stop it. Loose ball stays in and an England player picks it up and plays it back to the keeper. We knock it about a bit, go upfield, get a legitimate corner and score from it legitamately. How far back does VAR go? To the goal? To the corner? To the challenge? Do we want to see goals ruled out after minutes of free play which have altered the state of the game anyway because the players are more tired than if they'd had a rest waiting for a free kick to be taken?

Personally I prefer my team to win fair and square.

Personally, in certain games, I couldn't agree less. Beating Palace with a goal that was 10 yards offside? Yes please. England beating the Germans with a hand of God? Absolutely. Funny as **** and all to do with what tribal football's about. But, in any case, in the example quote above we wouldn't have won fair and square because a "foul" would have been missed in the build up to the corner but it's unlikely in the extreme to be reviewed.

Referees are human. Let them be, It's all part of the fun.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
A slightly odd rant. Italy didn't cheat last night, I never claimed they did, nor did I make any derogatory racist remarks.

Obviously most goals are 'good' goals. But we're going to have to get used to quite a few of them getting the all-clear now from someone sitting in a booth, before we can actually celebrate them.
Having read lots of your respondent's posts on this and other threads I have come to the conclusion that you are engaging with a troll. Nobody can be so wrong about every subject all the time, not listen or respond to replies which answer their questions and also be so needlessly confrontational without doing it on purpose. Even BG.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The process was implemented incorrectly but a pen was correctly given.What's the problem?
Personally I prefer my team to win fair and square.

I don't think it was a penalty at all, the Italian was falling through no foul and his foot was trodden on.
Is the defender supposed to look down when running so he knows where his foot is being planted ?
Never a pen in a million years for me.

And the process as you say was incorrect.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having read lots of your respondent's posts on this and other threads I have come to the conclusion that you are engaging with a troll. Nobody can be so wrong about every subject all the time, not listen or respond to replies which answer their questions and also be so needlessly confrontational without doing it on purpose. Even BG.

You could well be right. Slow day in the office, I clearly need to make better use of my time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think it was a penalty at all, the Italian was falling through no foul and his foot was trodden on.
Is the defender supposed to look down when running so he knows where his foot is being planted ?

100% this.

The Italian was well on his way to the ground after being out muscled or perhaps our old friend simulation. Long before an accidental tread on his foot.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Is Tarka the Ottersky a better alternative to Lewis dunk? My @rse he is....Southgate ...Hmmmmm!

On a lighter note, I have just had £5 on Isco to be World cup Golden Boot person . Betfair 51-1! Well worth it IMHO . Senor Lopetegui has been quietly rebuilding this Spanish team and I reckon they will take all the beating in Russia.

TNBA

TTF

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Wasn't a rant and was aimed at the english media.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

You wouldn't think it was a pen would you as it wasn't against your team.Makes total sense.

Personally I think the defender was trying to flatten a bump in the turf and accidentally caught the italian player.
I also think Maradona's hand ball was a total accident.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Go away and bore someone else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody is saying that it was because Tarkowski stood on his foot but nobody has mentioned that, as shown on the TV footage, Tarkowski grabbed the Italian player with his left hand on the Italians right arm could that have not been the reason the penalty was given? It was only a slight grab but none the less a grab.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Everybody is saying that it was because Tarkowski stood on his foot but nobody has mentioned that, as shown on the TV footage, Tarkowski grabbed the Italian player with his left hand on the Italians right arm could that have not been the reason the penalty was given? It was only a slight grab but none the less a grab.

It was for bringing the Italian down by standing on his foot. Clear as day.

The referee mimed the action to illustrate this, when Henderson was complaining afterwards.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You wouldn't think it was a pen would you as it wasn't against your team.Makes total sense.

Personally I think the defender was trying to flatten a bump in the turf and accidentally caught the italian player.
I also think Maradona's hand ball was a total accident.

So, with your brilliant use of sarcasm here, you seem to suggest that you thought Tarkowski purposely fouled the player?

Otherwise, you've not used sarcasm very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here