Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eng-Ger-Land v Italy tonight

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see from the traffic on the site today about this, that everyone is BUZZING for this game.

As ever a little WAGER offers at least some interest in proceedings. Couldn't see any value in the betting mind, so limited to a little treble myself:

ENG-ITA draw
GER-BRA draw
ESP-ARG draw at a combined 35/1

The Germany Brazil game is on BT Sport. Might well end watching that one, when the England game inevitably disappoints

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thoroughly enjoyed our performance the other night. The intent to play out from the back and dare to move around the pitch was really encouraging to see.

Oh sorry. I forgot it's not cool to like England.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I thoroughly enjoyed our performance the other night. The intent to play out from the back and dare to move around the pitch was really encouraging to see.

I agree. It's hip to be square.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I missed the Holland game but the way people are banging on you'd have thought we'd beaten a team of Messi clones 10-0. England are almost always good when the pressure is off. Whether it's a piss easy qualification group (as it almost always is) or a friendly against, for example, one of the worst Dutch sides in history (sorry Davy <3), we tend to do well. I was at Wembley for our qualifier against Slovakia and we were absolutely dire. They looked like better footballers than us and we were seriously lucky to get away with a narrow win. People seem to have already forgotten that much of Southgate's managerial acumen has been achieved through simply being slightly less unsuccessful than other coaches in the England regime (Boothroyd or Paul Simpson, anyone?) He's been hailed beyond words for having a plan, as if actually putting a modicum of thought into one's job is some utterly stunning achievement deserving of praise. I would love England to be successful, I really would, but I just don't buy it anymore. Since Euro 96, the tournament that got me into football, I've gone into every tournament with genuine optimism. But now I just can't shake the feeling that they will let everyone down again. They always do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I thought Raheem Sterling and Jesse Lingard looked particularly good and that we controlled the game. It was actually quite a refreshing England performance, especially when you consider the Dutch (with Propper starting) then played Portugal off the park last night.

You have to admit, it is hard to get behind England when they are coached by f*cknut after f*cknut. I mean Gareth Southgate, he picks big time Charlies regardless of form. And Jake Livermore. Christ.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Right!? Nothing like supporting a team just because you happened to be the one sperm that got through and, when you won the first race of your life, your parents happened to live within one set of borders and not another! WOO! GO ENGLAND GO!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's Jake Livermore and his mates, right?

Pick out the rattiest player in the Italy squad and you could make the same point. Italy, like Holland, are at their lowest ebb in living memory right now. We're hardly worldbeaters ourselves, but I think we've got enough about us to take care of business tonight. A similar performance to Friday will see us pick up another 3 valuable points.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Right!? Nothing like supporting a team just because you happened to be the one sperm that got through and, when you won the first race of your life, your parents happened to live within one set of borders and not another! WOO! GO ENGLAND GO!!

How's that any different to supporting Brighton?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
How's that any different to supporting Brighton?

I support Brighton because my Dad does. I'd imagine if he support Man U then I'd support them.

EDIT: I guess club support is, or can be, a choice. The idea that I have to support the national team because I happen to be English doesn't truck with me.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I missed the Holland game but the way people are banging on you'd have thought we'd beaten a team of Messi clones 10-0. England are almost always good when the pressure is off. Whether it's a piss easy qualification group (as it almost always is) or a friendly against, for example, one of the worst Dutch sides in history (sorry Davy <3), we tend to do well. I was at Wembley for our qualifier against Slovakia and we were absolutely dire. They looked like better footballers than us and we were seriously lucky to get away with a narrow win. People seem to have already forgotten that much of Southgate's managerial acumen has been achieved through simply being slightly less unsuccessful than other coaches in the England regime (Boothroyd or Paul Simpson, anyone?) He's been hailed beyond words for having a plan, as if actually putting a modicum of thought into one's job is some utterly stunning achievement deserving of praise. I would love England to be successful, I really would, but I just don't buy it anymore. Since Euro 96, the tournament that got me into football, I've gone into every tournament with genuine optimism. But now I just can't shake the feeling that they will let everyone down again. They always do.

This, Holland finished third in qualification. If we had beaten Albania, Hungary, Montenegro or Scotland 1-0 would everyone be this excited? That is how good Holland are now.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I support Brighton because my Dad does. I'd imagine if he support Man U then I'd support them.

EDIT: I guess club support is, or can be, a choice. The idea that I have to support the national team because I happen to be English doesn't truck with me.

I don't advocate that everyone has to support their country. My Dad supported Tooting & Mitcham but I supported Brighton because it was the nearest 'big' club to where I grew up. I support England and agree with a lot of the criticism that comes the national team's way. However, I think our performance and the style of play against Holland gave a small cause for some hope in years to come, as we actually looked like a team that could keep hold of the ball and, perhaps, compete with the other decent national sides that have been doing this for generations. Slow learners - yes, write-offs - I don't think so.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The idea that I have to support the national team because I happen to be English doesn't truck with me.

Whose idea was that?

I don't care if someone supports the team or not. What I find utterly bizarre is the clear current trend of OPENLY telling everyone how much one dislikes the national team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here