Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official Brighton Marathon 2018 Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck everyone! I attended the Medical Team Briefing today and will be on duty tomorrow to provide healthcare to all you crazy fu£@ers.

Remember...

NO IBUPROFEN!!!! IT COULD KILL YOU!!
Drink to thirst. Overloading on fluid will dilute your electrolytes, holding back will raise your lactate levels. It's not all that difficult to get it right.
Wear sunscreen.
If you have had heatstroke in the past you'll likely suffer again. Probably best not to run a hot marathon.
Do you take mood stabilising meds? Have you asked a doctor if it's safe to run? There are risks associated with these meds.

Having said all of that, you seriously could not run a safer marathon. The medical team for this marathon is better equipped than you could ever imagine, and it has, in its arsenal, the ECMO team from Barts Hospital in London. If you suffer a cardiac arrest in Brighton tomorrow the odds of surviving will have massively improved.

Stay safe & run responsibly. Beat your goals. Push yourselves. Smash your expectations. Prove your mettle. Tell your stories for years.

I "only" ran the 10K today but ran the full thing 2 years ago and will be again next year, injuries permitting. I thanked every volunteer I came in to contact with profusely today and the same goes for you medical guys. You are totally the unsung heroes. Without you it wouldn't happen and I can assure you every single runner appreciates your efforts.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Good luck everyone! I attended the Medical Team Briefing today and will be on duty tomorrow to provide healthcare to all you crazy fu£@ers.

Remember...

NO IBUPROFEN!!!! IT COULD KILL YOU!!
Drink to thirst. Overloading on fluid will dilute your electrolytes, holding back will raise your lactate levels. It's not all that difficult to get it right.
Wear sunscreen.
If you have had heatstroke in the past you'll likely suffer again. Probably best not to run a hot marathon.
Do you take mood stabilising meds? Have you asked a doctor if it's safe to run? There are risks associated with these meds.

Having said all of that, you seriously could not run a safer marathon. The medical team for this marathon is better equipped than you could ever imagine, and it has, in its arsenal, the ECMO team from Barts Hospital in London. If you suffer a cardiac arrest in Brighton tomorrow the odds of surviving will have massively improved.

Stay safe & run responsibly. Beat your goals. Push yourselves. Smash your expectations. Prove your mettle. Tell your stories for years.

I just heard from a friend that everyone who needed medical treatment today went home. No one in hospital overnight.

Amazing effort by the medical team.

Thanks to you and all your colleagues

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
I managed 4-22-32 which i was happy with as stopped to help a couple of people who fell to the ground. Thought about going for it at the half way stage doing a 1-57 at that point, then just embraced the atmosphere took on lots of fluids and jelly babies, listening to the shouts of SEAGULLS!!!! to me, which was amazing at times especially the last 2 miles. Had a few scummers around the course doing their best to wind me up, didn't feel the need to waste my energy on them. Overall thoroughly enjoyed the run as i didn't put a time pressure on myself. Well done to all, some great times done, which i could only dream about :):albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here