Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official Brighton Marathon 2018 Thread

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I’m on the medical team. Don’t forget it’s an eating and drinking competition too. Stay well hydrated & you’ve a great chance of avoiding my bag of goodies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I was down to do the marathon but due to injury end of last year, I have switched to the 10k which should be fun. Wham bam thank you ma'am, then on the beers!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m on the medical team. Don’t forget it’s an eating and drinking competition too. Stay well hydrated & you’ve a great chance of avoiding my bag of goodies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done on volunteering. What's on offer?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I'll be joining a large BHA contingent in the preceding BM10k. We'll be first at the bar, not for the first time.

I too am running the 10k, I've done a couple of half marathons in the past but not sure my knees and ankles can stand up to the training of that distance anymore. Hopefully we can all wear our stripes with pride after smashing the lot from the other end of the A23 the day before, that and it gets a little warmer, only a little mind....it was awful for running last year I suspect - it was bloody hot spectating!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is my fourth BM, aiming to finish in around 3 hours but suspect I may be off pace by about 15s a mile from where I need to be.

Going to start off at 7 min miles and see if I have anything left with 5 miles to go.

E: Fantastic effort Mr Blobby.

Looks like we might be on for a race for the NSC honours!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Punishment suits the crime. Anything from a Haribo Tangfastic to 'Invasive' Temperature Monitoring/Ice Packs/IV Fluid/Oxygen/Drugs/Ride in an Ambulance...

I remember the Roald Dahl story of putting chilli up greyhounds bottoms to make them run faster. I may try some chilli on the invasive Temperature Monitor just as I hit the Wall.

Seriously though hydration is not to be ignored. I saw the unfortunate Crystal Palace fan drop at the bottom of The Drive in 2014 and he never recovered from that heart attack. I think he'd had a few drink and drug nights prior to the run.

I always enjoy Brighton Marathon & am currently one of the few ever presents having ran all previous 8 Brighton Marathons. Of course I will be there on 15 April.

Having ran my 100th full marathon in March 2017, I am currently aiming to run 100 marathons in 100 weeks.

So far, so good. Marathon 151 (51st marathon in 51 weeks) was last Sunday in QE Country Park.

I have a marathon in Milton Keynes on Bank Holiday Monday, then Manchester .... then Brighton.

40 further marathons paid for in 2018. Just hope my body stays in one piece!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I always enjoy Brighton Marathon & am currently one of the few ever presents having ran all previous 8 Brighton Marathons. Of course I will be there on 15 April.

Having ran my 100th full marathon in March 2017, I am currently aiming to run 100 marathons in 100 weeks.

So far, so good. Marathon 151 (51st marathon in 51 weeks) was last Sunday in QE Country Park.

I have a marathon in Milton Keynes on Bank Holiday Monday, then Manchester .... then Brighton.

Amazing effort. Good luck!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I remember the Roald Dahl story of putting chilli up greyhounds bottoms to make them run faster. I may try some chilli on the invasive Temperature Monitor just as I hit the Wall.

Seriously though hydration is not to be ignored. I saw the unfortunate Crystal Palace fan drop at the bottom of The Drive in 2014 and he never recovered from that heart attack. I think he'd had a few drink and drug nights prior to the run.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/30/brighton-marathon-runner-reaction-supplements

That was 2013. A lot was learned following the young man's tragic death and the cause makes for upsetting reading for many runners, as many of us are guilty of doing the same. All I'll say is NEVER, no matter how much pain you're in, take NSAID's like ibuprofen when you are exercising. Have a read of the article attached for the full story.

For the record, no illicit substances were detected in Sam's system, only licensed and recognised supplements and medications.

Get your hydration right in your training runs and bring that plan to the marathon. Don't overdo it or you'll dilute the electrolytes in your system, just try to stay a few paces ahead of your thirst, no more, no less.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

Legend!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/30/brighton-marathon-runner-reaction-supplements

That was 2013. A lot was learned following the young man's tragic death and the cause makes for upsetting reading for many runners, as many of us are guilty of doing the same. All I'll say is NEVER, no matter how much pain you're in, take NSAID's like ibuprofen when you are exercising. Have a read of the article attached for the full story.

For the record, no illicit substances were detected in Sam's system, only licensed and recognised supplements and medications.

Get your hydration right in your training runs and bring that plan to the marathon. Don't overdo it or you'll dilute the electrolytes in your system, just try to stay a few paces ahead of your thirst, no more, no less.

Wise words. Sorry on my wrong facts. I based them on the initial incorrect reports.

2013 it was. I forgot my first one. I have done 4 BMs and about to do the fifth. I recall now that I got a ligament injury walking in the Brecon the afternoon before we beat Cardiff 2-0. Missed 5 weeks training up to second week of taper and managed 4:08.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
First marathon last year completed in 3.52. Aiming/hoping to shave 10mins off that this time round...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here