Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Official Brighton Marathon 2018 Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Running the 10k again this year. It was a great decision last year, broke 40 minutes for the first time, then basked in the heat with a beer, watching the marathon near Grand Ave.

Currently struggling with injury so it might be a slower re-hab run but determined not to waste the entry fee.

4 Brighton marathons for me too

2012 - 4:20
2014 - 3:55
2015 - 3:29
2016 - 3:15

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Will you be starting at Withdean Park?

No, I haven't qualified for such an honour and I will proudly start at Preston Park and stroll up that high early doors! I intend to be at the head of the starting pen to avoid the crush and will try and get away from the crowds before extending the stride down the hill and I intend for mile 1 to be just about the slowest of the race.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
2nd Brighton (or any) Marathon this year. Only looking to get round the course now and time becoming increasingly irrelevant. I was poleaxed with Manthrax for a large part of March and have found the combination of a full-time job, plus additional work shooting with Sussex Sports Photography, plus marathon training to be altogether too much.

Tried my last long run today at 20 miles and hit the bloody wall. Had got to 18 with no drama at all by 26th February but running since then has been minimal. Am now just going to have to cram the final 19 days with all the intervals and hills I can and possibly a half marathon and will have to hope I've built up the residual strength required for the big day. Today has dented the confidence no end.

See you all there. I'll be wearing the yellow BHAFC away strip.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck to everyone running. Had booked a place but later decided to go on holiday at the same time....would have been no 6 or 7 for me. Always a great event, brilliant support from the crowds and good organisation. Bit gutted to not be doing it but as it happens have a small niggle anyway so probably wouldn’t have made it. Hoping I can get rid of it and be able do VLM the week after.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Our band, Skulldrummery, will be outside Tesco in Church Road drumming on the runners and collecting cash for the Teenage cancer trust. Give us a wave as you go by.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Struggling with a bad back at the moment. Did my last long run on Thursday of 21 miles. Due to my back I am doing very little over the next few days. I have done 350 miles since 1.1.2018 so have the miles behind me, so think rest the best option at the moment. It feels much better today, but not going to risk anything!

I had been taking Ibroprufen but stopped them yesterday and no plans to take any more. I will do a litle swimming Thursday/Friday and then test my back Saturday/Sunday with a short slow run. Not ideal preperation for 3 marathons in 6 weeks starting with Brighton.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Good luck to everyone running! Loved running it last year (2nd marathon) and pleased to have made it home in 3:12. Didn't expect it to be so hot though. Hopefully it will be a lot cooler this year.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Good luck everyone! I attended the Medical Team Briefing today and will be on duty tomorrow to provide healthcare to all you crazy fu£@ers.

Remember...

NO IBUPROFEN!!!! IT COULD KILL YOU!!
Drink to thirst. Overloading on fluid will dilute your electrolytes, holding back will raise your lactate levels. It's not all that difficult to get it right.
Wear sunscreen.
If you have had heatstroke in the past you'll likely suffer again. Probably best not to run a hot marathon.
Do you take mood stabilising meds? Have you asked a doctor if it's safe to run? There are risks associated with these meds.

Having said all of that, you seriously could not run a safer marathon. The medical team for this marathon is better equipped than you could ever imagine, and it has, in its arsenal, the ECMO team from Barts Hospital in London. If you suffer a cardiac arrest in Brighton tomorrow the odds of surviving will have massively improved.

Stay safe & run responsibly. Beat your goals. Push yourselves. Smash your expectations. Prove your mettle. Tell your stories for years.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Enjoy the day everyone and don't try and emulate Callum Hawkins in the Commonwealth Games!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just woken up from the usual short and fretful sleep. Come on adrenaline. Do your stuff.

Best of luck all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good luck to those running and well done to anyone who has volunteered.

Especially as the forecast is for heavy rain from noon today.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Feeling quite relaxed, no time pressure, just out to enjoy [emoji6]
Good luck everyone [emoji838]⚪️[emoji838]⚪️[emoji838]⚪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Finished my first 10k. Was expecting around 1hr 5, would have been ecstatic with sub 1hr....did 1hr 17secs... Will definitely be back next year. Loved it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
3:59.01 today which I was pleased with. Just 2 seconds slower than Manchester last week.

Marathon 154 & 54th marathon completed in 54 weeks. Just another 46 marathons to do in the next 46 weeks!

Was also my 54th sub 4 hour marathon.

...... & now rest ..... until Vienna next weekend

Impressive, well done!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here