Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Joshua v Parker

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Joshua rounds 1-4 at 100/30 for me anyway.

I'm not a gambler, so excuse my ignorance, but why are the odds 100/30 and not 10/3? I have never understood this - anyone know?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because the media hype up these boxers to be something that they haven't even proved themselves to be yet.The fans get caught up in it too and think the same.The boxers themselves also start to believe the hype.Making comparisons with boxers of past years is a way to remind everyone in fact these guys are maybe not all that yet and have to prove themselves.

Some anti Joshua posters (nothing to do with the media), bang on about Tyson would have destroyed him, said with real bitterness. Strange. Perhaps the old disease of schadenfreude or envy of successful Brits?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Because the media hype up these boxers to be something that they haven't even proved themselves to be yet.The fans get caught up in it too and think the same.The boxers themselves also start to believe the hype.Making comparisons with boxers of past years is a way to remind everyone in fact these guys are maybe not all that yet and have to prove themselves.

You have already stated on a previous post that due to the fact that in your eyes non of the current crop of heavyweights are up to it there is no way that he can prove that he is world class. So with that mindset its impossible for him to prove himself and the comparison is pointless.

Like most fighters in the heavyweight division where one punch can end it, at some point he will slip up (like Mike Tyson did against buster Douglas) and there will be a whole load of your type that can't wait for that moment to say "I told you so".

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
You have already stated on a previous post that due to the fact that in your eyes non of the current crop of heavyweights are up to it there is no way that he can prove that he is world class. So with that mindset its impossible for him to prove himself and the comparison is pointless.

Like most fighters in the heavyweight division where one punch can end it, at some point he will slip up (like Mike Tyson did against buster Douglas) and there will be a whole load of your type that can't wait for that moment to say "I told you so".

If you know boxing then you know Tyson hardly trained for the Douglas fight.

It's not about 'I told you so'.It's about people still not learning to back off until a boxer has proved himself.We've been here so many times.Look at Frank Bruno.He looked good so the assumption was he was a top fighter.Wrong as was proved.

Yes you're right that AJ cannot prove himself because there are not the boxers to prove himself against.
Maybe he might still be around long enough for some top heavyweights to emerge.Who knows.
It's not his fight.He didn't ask to be born in the wrong era.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

It's not about 'I told you so'.It's about people still not learning to back off until a boxer has proved himself.We've been here so many times.Look at Frank Bruno.He looked good so the assumption was he was a top fighter.Wrong as was proved.

Yes you're right that AJ cannot prove himself because there are not the boxers to prove himself against.
Maybe he might still be around long enough for some top heavyweights to emerge.Who knows.

The old argument is that you can only beat what is put against you and if AJ does that then he is the best. I do not think anybody is saying that as yet he is as good or better than Mohamed Ali or Lennox `Lewis.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The old argument is that you can only beat what is put against you and if AJ does that then he is the best. I do not think anybody is saying that as yet he is as good or better than Mohamed Ali or Lennox `Lewis.

Summed up nicely.

Anti-Joshua posters unfavourably comparing him to Mike Tyson, to 'prove' nothing in the slightest.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
AJ may well prove to be better than Lennox Lewis. Lewis didn’t look amazing in every night and got careless a couple of times. People have rose tinted glasses.

As for this fight - here’s my prediction . Parker will come out and have a real go. He will trouble Joshua a bit but ultimately won’t really hurt him. Then Joshua will gradually bash him up. Parker is no doubt a warrior and tough so he won’t give up. But his corner will throw the towel in around round eight so he doesn’t take too much punishment. The watching public will think the towel has come in too soon and they will be right but Parker’s corner won’t want their cash cow to get broken ahead of the inevitable rematch

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
AJ may well prove to be better than Lennox Lewis. Lewis didn’t look amazing in every night and got careless a couple of times. People have rose tinted glasses.

As for this fight - here’s my prediction . Parker will come out and have a real go. He will trouble Joshua a bit but ultimately won’t really hurt him. Then Joshua will gradually bash him up. Parker is no doubt a warrior and tough so he won’t give up. But his corner will throw the towel in around round eight so he doesn’t take too much punishment. The watching public will think the towel has come in too soon and they will be right but Parker’s corner won’t want their cash cow to get broken ahead of the inevitable rematch

Could well be the case.

Bad loser fans won't accept Parker's defeat until he's lying in hospital. Froch had to very seriously hurt Groves, for the bitters to finally shut up.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Or be very cautious and not engage and try and take Joshua the distance ???

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Could well be the case.

Bad loser fans won't accept Parker's defeat until he's lying in hospital. Froch had to very seriously hurt Groves, for the bitters to finally shut up.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Parker’s amateurish team will be the talking point after the fight.
I’m sure they want Parker to win but if his initial assault doesn’t bear fruit, I wonder if they will want him out of there early.
Higgins and co will be desperate to protect interest in the rematch, which will be reduced if Joshua wins emphatically. It’s the biggest payday any of them will ever get.
I fully expect an unsatisfactory outcome to the fight.
I’d be surprised if parkers corner allows it to become a war, if Parker is struggling .

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Or be very cautious and not engage and try and take Joshua the distance ???

Possibly but Parker seems to instinctively be a come forward type of fighter. I would imagine at some point he will revert to type. Joshua will find him if he tries to run, anyway

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Usually the slip up is due to not training properly and/ or not taking an opponent seriously.

The only person comparing AJ to the all time greats is you, the rest of us are excited by a young British fighter who has won an Olympic Gold, a world title in his 16th fight and now has chance to unify.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Usually the slip up is due to not training properly and/ or not taking an opponent seriously.

The only person comparing AJ to the all time greats is you, the rest of us are excited by a young British fighter who has won an Olympic Gold, a world title in his 16th fight and now has chance to unify.

People have been saying the heavyweight division is weak for as long as I can remember.
I’d say it’s in relatively strong shape.
If Joshua was to beat Klitshsko, wilder and fury then that would be a legacy to be proud of

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Tyson never won an Olympic Gold as didn't alot of top fighters.
A world title in his 16th fight?And? When there are 4/5 titles to win in an era of very average fighters that's not so difficult is it.
Forget AJ is English.Forget your bias.Try to look at him from a neutral point of view.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
People have been saying the heavyweight division is weak for as long as I can remember.
I’d say it’s in relatively strong shape.
If Joshua was to beat Klitshsko, wilder and fury then that would be a legacy to be proud of

You must be a teenager then.It wasn't so long ago the heavyweight division was strong.

??????? One old man and two average fighters?

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Yes you can only beat what's in front of you and as I said it's not AJ's fault he was born in the wrong era.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here