Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Joshua v Parker

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
All this talk of AJ having a glass chin is bizarre, he's only been down once as a professional and he got back up again and won the fight.

Fighters with glass chins go down and stay down.

Went on his arse several times in the amateurs and regular reports of him getting dropped in sparring. Eddie Hearn has even admitted he's vunerable if he gets clocked.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Went on his arse several times in the amateurs and regular reports of him getting dropped in sparring. Eddie Hearn has even admitted he's vunerable if he gets clocked.

Pretty much all fighters in the heavyweight division are vulnerable if clocked, its the nature of that weight class.

Joshua only took up boxing when he was 18, he was downed by Dillian Whyte only 2 years after taking up the sport and 3 years later he was fighting internationally. With such a meteoric rise through the ranks its not surprising that he made a couple of mistakes and left his chin out.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Pretty much all fighters in the heavyweight division are vulnerable if clocked, its the nature of that weight class.

Joshua only took up boxing when he was 18, he was downed by Dillian Whyte only 2 years after taking up the sport and 3 years later he was fighting internationally. With such a meteoric rise through the ranks its not surprising that he made a couple of mistakes and left his chin out.

That doesnt change the fact he's vunerable, particularly against an opponent with lateral movement. AJ moves in straight lines.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
That doesnt change the fact he's vunerable, particularly against an opponent with lateral movement. AJ moves in straight lines.

Thats a different thing altogether, I agree that he is vulnerable to receiving a shot because of lack of movement but I was pitch side at Joshua vs Klitschko and have seen enough to know that he does not have a glass chin. He also took some big shots against Dillian Whyte and went on to win the fight.

Amir khan is an example of someone who has a glass chin, he can't take a shot at all and gets sparked out cold.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I have seen Parker v Ruiz jr and then Hughie Fury. The first was really difficult to call and neither could have really complained at the loss, with the decision going to the home fighter. Hughie Fury is the new Joe Bugner, lacks real punch power and refuses to take risks, Parker deserved the decision, but not the plaudits. Hughie will remain difficult to beat and an awkward opponent for anyone prepared to take him on.

Parker has a chance against Joshua, on the basis that he is an athlete and is relatively mobile for a heavyweight, but it would be a shock if the power of the bigger man wasn't decisive.

I see we are going through another bout of hand wringing at the dearth of quality in the heavy weight division. I can't say I agree on this, I think the US is and has been weak for quite some time, hence Deontay Wilder for all his stats still looks relatively untested. In this country we do have some interesting and potentially very exciting prospects coming through. Dubois looks to be the pick of the bunch, but he has some decent British challengers to get past to the front of the queue, including Nathan Gorman and Joe Joyce, sadly there appear to be more than enough overblown punchbags for hire, which means we will have to be patient whilst they all develop their reputations further.

The return of Tyson Fury will also be fascinating to watch, whether you want him to triumph or fall flat on his face, you can't ignore the big man.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Takam also only had 2 weeks notice to prepare for the Joshua bout.

He was in training though as he was due to fight on the Monaco card the following week. So basically the same disadvantage Joshua had in terms of a change of opponent.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So basically the case for Parker is that his most impressive result might (and it’s debatable) compare favourably to joshua’s Worst.
I stand by it - Parker has no more than a punchers’s chance. The rest is hype.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tyson Fury should not be given a licence to fight it was a complete mockery failing a drugs test then have his punishment backdated for 2 years it should have been 2 years minimum from the date of the findings. Personally
I think for drug taking in any sport it should be a minimum15 year ban which effectively is the end of their sports career.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Joshua is not exciting.He's a plodder.I remember the good ole days of staying up till 6am watching Tyson blast them out of the ring.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Tyson Fury has abused his body so much and been out of the ring a long time.Who's to say he can get near to his best.I don't think so.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Joshua is not exciting.He's a plodder.I remember the good ole days of staying up till 6am watching Tyson blast them out of the ring.

You can't of watched many AJ fights then, about the only fight where he plodded was the Takam fight, other than that there was the Klitschko fight which is one of the most exciting in recent years and the rest of the opponents he has been blasting out of the ring.

Last edited:

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
You can't of watched many AJ fights then, about the only fight where he plodded was the Takam fight, other than that there was the Klitschko fight which is one of the most exciting in recent years and the rest of the opponents he has been blasting out of the ring.

Tyson's opponents were beaten before they even got in the ring.AJ takes a few rounds more.
I'm sure you wouldn't compare the two because I'm sure you know if you were around in the Tyson
era that no boxer has ever generated the excitement he did.It was on a totally different scale.

Klitschko in his prime would have beaten AJ.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Holy shit I am not a boxing expert by any reckoning but stating Parker and Whyte are world class hahahahaha.

Well how else are you going to judge if a fighter is world class?
Put him up against the top ranked boxers at that weight class.

Parker holds the WBO
Deontay holds the WBC
Dillian has the WBC Silver

Those 3 & AJ are all ranked in the top 7, and AJ will likely fight all 3 within his next 5 fights.

How else are you going to measure world-class?

If you're basing it on comparing AJ to 'all-time' greats, that is a pointless exercise.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton

Well you wouldn’t have stayed up to see him at 6am before he was sent to prison as Uk didn’t show them so can you name the other fights post prison you stayed up to watch that were of value ? Francis and saverese don’t count.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Joshua has got lucky in being around at a time of such poor quality of heavyweights throughout the world, when someone like Lucas Browne can claim to be a 'World Champion' it shows how far gone the heavyweight division is and Joshua will never be able to claim to be the greatest when he is only knocking over bums or has beens

You should include Tyson Fury in that assessment of the poor quality about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here