Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Joshua v Parker

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
AJ will have to much the only thing that will stop him will be a lucky knockout JP is not on the same planet as him

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm a big aj fan. A peak tyson would have loved to fight him though

A peak Ali or Holmes would have. But where do we stop in comparisons made to devalue a current World Champion? They can only beat who's in front of them in their particular era.

An analogy would be to downgrade the class of Laver, Borg and Sampras, or, all future tennis no.1's, simply because Federer is probably the best.

Best to enjoy the moment and celebrate champions at the time.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
A peak Ali or Holmes would have. But where do we stop in comparisons made to devalue a current World Champion? They can only beat who's in front of them in their particular era.

An analogy would be to downgrade the class of Laver, Borg and Sampras, or, all future tennis no.1's, simply because Federer is probably the best.

Best to enjoy the moment and celebrate champions at the time.

Exactly this, I fail to see what relevance Tyson, Ali etc has got to the fight thats happening on Saturday between Parker and Joshua. Its something very peculiar to boxing every time a discussion starts someone hijacks it to bang on about how much better past eras, champions were etc.

When Brighton were in the lower divisions we didn't constantly compare the performances with the team from 1979 - 1983.

If you have fallen out of love with boxing then fair enough but how about leaving us boxing fans who do enjoy it alone to talk about the fighters that are boxing now.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly this, I fail to see what relevance Tyson, Ali etc has got to the fight thats happening on Saturday between Parker and Joshua. Its something very peculiar to boxing every time a discussion starts someone hijacks it to bang on about how much better past eras, champions were etc.

When Brighton were in the lower divisions we didn't constantly compare the performances with the team from 1979 - 1983.

If you have fallen out of love with boxing then fair enough but how about leaving us boxing fans who do enjoy it alone to talk about the fighters that are boxing now.

Good post. I've enjoyed much of the boxing in recent years and I look forward to watching more.

In times past I loved watching past greats such as Leonard, Lennox Lewis, Ali; but don't need the need to bench mark and slag off the likes of Froch, Joshua, etc, with a miserable schadenfreude agenda.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I already said in this thread AJ catered his previous weight to fighting Pulev, when Takam was his fill in that was a big change in terms of size etc. It doesn't surprise me at all to see AJ drop almost a stone for this fight.

People dont want to appreciate that AJ had to change his plans and schedule when it was known that Takam was stepping in but Takam had been told 8 weeks earlier to be on standby.so had been planning a fight against AJ.

Last edited:

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018

Because the media hype up these boxers to be something that they haven't even proved themselves to be yet.The fans get caught up in it too and think the same.The boxers themselves also start to believe the hype.Making comparisons with boxers of past years is a way to remind everyone in fact these guys are maybe not all that yet and have to prove themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here