Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Joshua v Parker

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Parker has to knock out AJ to win, no chance he will get fair decision on points. I do think Parker so called power is hugely overrated, but then anything can happen at heavyweight. AJ will win, it's just how he wins, will it be a stoppage or points. We don't really know what Parker's chin is like, he might just crumble early on or of hang on bravely, but either way I can't see AJ having much trouble with Parker but we will see.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Just to re-cap.Joshua struggled to beat old man Klitschko.He then struggled over 10 rounds in his last fight to beat
Mr.Average and got booed.

Don't believe the hype.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Just to re-cap.Joshua struggled to beat old man Klitschko.

That's a stretch.

He then struggled over 10 rounds in his last fight to beat
Mr.Average and got booed.

And none of that is true.

Don't believe the hype.

I'll kind of give you that one, he's Sky's prize-pony at the moment.
Of course there's going to be massive hype around him to sell tickets.

He's clearly a very talented fighter though, and we'll see just how world-class he is (or isn't), over his next 3 fights.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
That's a stretch.

He's clearly a very talented fighter though, and we'll see just how world-class he is (or isn't), over his next 3 fights.

IMO It's more about if his chin is as good as his boxing. So far, Mihai Nistor knocked AJ out in the amateurs, Whyte also floored him in the amateurs plus stunning him in their last fight, and let's not forget, old man Klitschko had him all over the place from just 1 punch!

Obviously judging a boxer on his amateur career isn't the best judgment of AJ, but a weak chin can't be trained to be stronger. If it was weak then, it'll be weak now.

If Parker lands with one good shot, this could be a very interesting fight.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I'm off to Gosport at the weekend, along with my boy, staying at my sister's, where we will drink loads and be merry,

Any betting tips on which round it will end in, to help me buy the beers?

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
That's a stretch.

Don't think the heavyweight division is world class.

AJ should beat Parker, Whyte might get the Wilder fight before AJ does. The winner of Whyte V Wilder (if it happens) fights AJ.

The winner of that fights Fury if he gets fit and wins a few by 2019. But then what for the Heavyweight division???
The divisions very poor and limited.

Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Holyfield, Vitali would demolish the lot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Watched the AJ/Parker ‘the gloves are off’ show and it was so embarrassing . Neither man had anything bad to say about the other. Johnny Nelson given the job of trying to get them to say something interesting to get more PPv buys was toe curling. AJ for me mid way through.

On the contrary, I found it totally refreshing to see two intelligent boxers sitting in a room, respecting each other and talking. No rants, rages, faux anger to try and have a fight on the spot, no need for minders to hold them apart. None of that Haye/Chisora/Fury bollocks of shouting, raging, frothing at the mouth bollocks - that behaviour diminishes the sport of boxing; the dignity shown by Parker and AJ enhances it. Well done to both of them - class, not raving lunatics having to be held back as if they were pit bulls (with about as much functioning brain).

Interesting to see the betting odds. Obviously AJ has made a big impression in the UK and a lot of money has been lumped on him; I wonder what the odds look like stateside.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
On the contrary, I found it totally refreshing to see two intelligent boxers sitting in a room, respecting each other and talking. No rants, rages, faux anger to try and have a fight on the spot, no need for minders to hold them apart. None of that Haye/Chisora/Fury bollocks of shouting, raging, frothing at the mouth bollocks - that behaviour diminishes the sport of boxing; the dignity shown by Parker and AJ enhances it. Well done to both of them - class, not raving lunatics having to be held back as if they were pit bulls (with about as much functioning brain).

Interesting to see the betting odds. Obviously AJ has made a big impression in the UK and a lot of money has been lumped on him; I wonder what the odds look like stateside.

Actually I agree with you, what I meant was the attempts at trying to get them to bite was embrassing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would they be any different?

Betting odds reflect the amount of money being lumped on. The odds in the UK suggest that punters here are confident of an AJ win and have lumped on; the bookies have adjusted the odds to protect their financial interest.
If the Americans think their boy is a cert, they will have lumped on, so the odds in the USA could be very different. If thousands of yanks are going large on Parker at 6 to 1, or 11 to 2, or whatever, the American bookies are quickly going to reduce the odds!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Betting odds reflect the amount of money being lumped on. The odds in the UK suggest that punters here are confident of an AJ win and have lumped on; the bookies have adjusted the odds to protect their financial interest.
If the Americans think their boy is a cert, they will have lumped on, so the odds in the USA could be very different. If thousands of yanks are going large on Parker at 6 to 1, or 11 to 2, or whatever, the American bookies are quickly going to reduce the odds!
This is total nonsense. Bookmaking is a global industry thanks to that invention you might have heard of called "the internet". If that wasn't the case, you'd have massive arbs all over the place. As it is, arbs do happen in betting, but tend to be available for about 2 minutes when bookmakers wise up and lower their odds accordingly.

Betonline - one of the biggest bookies in the states - have Parker at 6.75 (just under 6/1) and Joshua at 1.125 (1/8). Basically that is broadly in line with our own bookies. Entirely predictable.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The only American odds I have found, after converting from their weird system have it as:

Joshua 1-10
Parker 11-2

Odds have shortened on Parker, but north of 6-1 in a two horse race is always likely to shorten, imo, and I would expect Parker to shorten a little as it comes closer to Saturday here too. So broadly the US has it about the same as we do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is total nonsense.

OK, betting odds don't reflect the amount of money being lumped on. And as for having heard of the internet, you know what? - I believe I'm actually using it now.

But thank you for answering my original question, which was about what the odds might be stateside.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

Oddly enough, the opposite has happened. AJ's price has drifted since the betting opened. He was as short as 1/25. I am not sure why a Samoan Kiwi would be regarded as "their boy" to the Americans either!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't seen anything from Parker to suggest he's got the beatin of Joshua. But...it's a huge fight for him (and AJ) and he'll absolutely be on his A game so you never know. If forced to bet on it I'd go with Joshua winning by T.K.O/K.O in the 8th -10th rounds.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I expect it to be a cagey first 4 or 5 rounds then AJ to put it on Parker once he has the measure of his movement.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Is he not based and living in Las Vegas for most of the time now

He is, yes. But he hasn't fought there since he became ranked and I'd guess 99.9% of Americans wouldn't know him from Adam. Still, I could be wrong and perhaps Cardiff will be a mass of stars and stripes on Saturday. *

* this will not be the case

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here