Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest debut album of all time ?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Exit planet dust- the chemical brothers
Fatboy slim - better living through chemistry

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Jesus of Cool - Nick Lowe

Surprised I forgot to list this earlier and one of the great album titles

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Would have been around the same time I saw them on the NME awards tour 2005 at Brighton Dome with The Futureheads (crap), Bloc Party (excellent), The Kaiser Chiefs (great fun before they became big heads). The Killers made one good album and Hot Fuss was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure that wasn't 2004? Killers supported BSP autumn 2003 and that gig at the Barfly was Dec 03. Next time I saw them was Feb 04 at the ICA in London. Pretty sure that night was the first time they played ' All these things'. Raved to people about it after, saying 'that's gonna be a massive hit!' Think it was a month or two after that they sold out the Astoria and added an extra night. They literally became huge almost overnight. I bumped into them in Charing Cross Road after that gig (I'd met them a few times when they played with BSP) and they told me they couldn't believe how they had suddenly gone from being a tiny indie band to the verge of pop stardom. Not long after, they were selling out stadiums (they did invite British Sea Power back to support them at some of them!).

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Allsorts (April 1998) - North & South

A brilliant first album. Legendary songs such as "I'm a man not a boy" and "No sweat" make this debut album one of the greatest. North & South were a Brighton based band who you could argue are the most famous band to ever come out of Brighton. I put all of it down to their debut album.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The first time I saw British Sea Power they were supporting The Fall at Concorde 2 around the late 90s/early noughties. Bloody hell, they were good.

It was 2002. Wish I'd been at that one - great double header! BSP were an astonishing live band back then (and still pretty good now). Funnily enough, I came across the Argus review of that very gig just after Mark E Smith died:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6750822.The_Fall_British_Sea_Power__Concorde_2__Brighton/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good Album but I prefer Caravansaie (however you spell it) song of the wind is a legendary track

I also prefer Abraxas and Caravanserai, but Santana is a great debut and the fact that they were one of the standout acts, as a new band at Woodstock, makes the first Santana album a bit special.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Are you sure that wasn't 2004? Killers supported BSP autumn 2003 and that gig at the Barfly was Dec 03. Next time I saw them was Feb 04 at the ICA in London. Pretty sure that night was the first time they played ' All these things'. Raved to people about it after, saying 'that's gonna be a massive hit!' Think it was a month or two after that they sold out the Astoria and added an extra night. They literally became huge almost overnight. I bumped into them in Charing Cross Road after that gig (I'd met them a few times when they played with BSP) and they told me they couldn't believe how they had suddenly gone from being a tiny indie band to the verge of pop stardom. Not long after, they were selling out stadiums (they did invite British Sea Power back to support them at some of them!).

http://www.nme.com/photos/history-of-the-nme-awards-tour-1406271

I agree it feels too late for them to be playing short sets in small venues like the dome but it was definitely 2005. Good on them for not fizzling out after such rapid success. They did go a bit ‘kings of Leon’ though. I know a band has lost it when I hear my mother in law singing their songs...

Almost missed another cracking debut there, Youth & Young Manhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It was 2002. Wish I'd been at that one - great double header! BSP were an astonishing live band back then (and still pretty good now). Funnily enough, I came across the Argus review of that very gig just after Mark E Smith died:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6750822.The_Fall_British_Sea_Power__Concorde_2__Brighton/

Thanks for the link. Brings back lots of great memories. That was one of the best Fall gigs that I ever attended, music-wise.

The previous gig had been at the Brighton Centre East Wing, in about 1999, very soon after the disastrous US tour where he fought the entire band onstage. It was obvious that the replacements were not much bothered with giving a decent performance.

In between those gigs MES had got his head together, got married and got himself a really decent set of musicians. He was utterly brilliant. Having British Sea Power as support was the icing on the cake. I can't recall him having many support acts after that. It always seemed to be that weird Video DJ bloke who played looped snippets of Elvis concerts at super-slow speeds .

I think Herr Tubthumper has the best Fall gig story with the Valentine's Day gig and MES in a wheelchair. I did once go to a Lesbian and Transexuals Spoken Word/Poetry Open Mic night at the old Concorde because MES was booked to do a DJ set there. God knows how they managed that. Sadly, he never turned up.

And Pevenseagull once gave him a kiss on the cheek onstage whilst carrying a fresh seabass in his coat pocket.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Herr Tubthumper has the best Fall gig story with the Valentine's Day gig and MES in a wheelchair.

Think you might be confusing me. I did see him on Valentines Day with the now wife; thankfully she’s a Fall fan. It was a gig with a collaborator named Ed Blakey at the West Hill Community Centre. I was just Smith and Blaney and Smith was able bodied that night. It was surreal though as Smith disappeared out to the kitchenette area out the back and out of sight, but still sang, for long periods. I remember him furiously banging a glockenspiel for a short period, that was the only moment the instrument was brought into use. I also had Frank Skinner standing next to me.

A few beers in the West Hill pub, a pizza at The Dials and Mark E Smith. I know how to treat a lady.

I will miss him.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I forgot to give an honourable mention to Elbow - Asleep In The Back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here