Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Australian GP

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not heavily into F1 but can somebody explain how Vettel was able and permitted to overtake Hamilton while the safety car was out as I though that they had to maintain their positions.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Not heavily into F1 but can somebody explain how Vettel was able and permitted to overtake Hamilton while the safety car was out as I though that they had to maintain their positions.

The safety car wasn't out. It was a Virtual Safety Car, and the sector speed times don't apply to the pit lane.

It was crap though. The only significant manoeuvre was artificial.

Cars driving around in circles (admittedly quick quickly) and nobody able to overtake... even Bottas as a great driver in a clearly superior car getting through the tail was painful.

Disappointing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That said, it augers well for better race tracks with at least three teams looking to have decent pace.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Vettel was definitely offside F1 needs VAR. I couldn't be bothered to see the podium spray, did Vettel look the slightest bit embarrased?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There was time before the ‘real’ safety car was deployed for Hamilton to go into the pits on the next lap and simply drive through without stopping to regain the lead.

Unless they change the rules about speeds in the pit lanes during a virtual safety car there will be chaos in the pits the next time there is a VSC!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

He didn't overtake Hamilton, he was already ahead because he hadn't pitted at that point.

When the VSC was deployed, the cars are going down the main straight at a similar speed to the pit lane speed, so you lose a lot less time making a pit stop during a safety car period.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Looks like Hamilton was a victim of poor 'race management'.A driver in the lead will generally drive as slow as possible whilst maintaining their lead and ensuring no threat of overtake from behind. In this case Mercedes miscalculated the threat and advised Hamilton to go too slowly, so Vetell was able to pit and maintain 1st place. Had Hamilton been advised to go a bit faster (per lap) he would have been in 1st after Vetell's stop.

It's a bit sad there is so much focus on going slowly, saving the engine, saving tyres etc. It would possibly be more interesting racing if they were all just trying to go fast most of the time!

In this case, had Hamilton gone a bit faster and cruised round and won, arguably the race might have been even more boring!

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Am I missing something here - is it just too obvious to ban pitting when a safety car is out (virtual or not)?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mercedes feck up with “on the hoof” strategy too often for the leading team imo. How hard was it for them to tell Hamilton to speed up once Vettel pitted? Own goal there by Mercedes.

I believe they lost the last Australian Grand Prix due to a strategic cock up too, bringing Hamilton in and sending him out into traffic as Vettel stayed out longer and cleared the traffic to come back into the lead.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017...ercedes-to-win-2017-f1-australian-grand-prix/

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mercedes feck up with “on the hoof” strategy too often for the leading team imo. How hard was it for them to tell Hamilton to speed up once Vettel pitted? Own goal there by Mercedes.

I believe they lost the last Australian Grand Prix due to a strategic cock up too?

I thought that they couldnt do that as the drivers had to maintain their speed.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought that they couldnt do that as the drivers had to maintain their speed.

Hamilton was in the lead, he dictates the pace, and slowed down rather than going quickly although not an illegal flat out. Well that’s my understanding anyway.

Hence him asking the team why they hadn’t told him that Vettel was pitting, as he would have gone faster, to which they had no answer (that we heard anyway)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He didn't overtake Hamilton, he was already ahead because he hadn't pitted at that point.

When the VSC was deployed, the cars are going down the main straight at a similar speed to the pit lane speed, so you lose a lot less time making a pit stop during a safety car period.

Icy Gull;8393025[B said:
[Hamilton was in th e lead he dictates the pace, and slowed down rather than going quickly although not an illegal flat out. Well that’s my understanding anyway.
[/B]
Hence him asking the team why they hadn’t told him that Vettel was pitting, as he would have gone faster, to which they had no answer (that we heard anyway)

You cannot both be correct. Was Hamilton leading or not?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You cannot both be correct. Was Hamilton leading or not?

If Hamilton had slowed down more than he had to we could both be right? Once Vettel pitted Hamilton was in the lead, he should have been told by his team. I didn’t watch the actual incident as I switched on afterwards, so I may be wrong but that is how it came across to me.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Hamilton was in the lead, he dictates the pace, and slowed down rather than going quickly although not an illegal flat out. Well that’s my understanding anyway.

The VSC dictates the pace I think- they have to keeping within a delta time which is displayed on their steering wheels.

I think Hamilton missed the chance to extend the gap prior to the VSC. He should have been maintaining a gap which gave enough space to ensure that Vetell couldn't come out of a pitstop ahead in these circumstances. So he lost it by going to slow in the race as a whole up to the VSC, not by going too slowly during the VSC as he has no choice at that point.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The VSC dictates the pace I think- they have to keeping within a delta time which is displayed on their steering wheels.

I think Hamilton missed the chance to extend the gap prior to the VSC. He should have been maintaining a gap which gave enough space to ensure that Vetell couldn't come out of a pitstop ahead in these circumstances. So he lost it by going to slow in the race as a whole up to the VSC, not by going too slowly during the VSC as he has no choice at that point.

Fair enough, I was wrong. This clarifies it I think?

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...edes-were-beaten-to-first-2018-win-by-ferrari

Edit,I seem to have found the same explanation at the same time as Marty_McFly

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So the onus was on Merc and Hamilton to try to stop Vettell coming back onto the track in front of Hamilton. So in fact just a general f..k up.cost them the race.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here