Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cambridge Analytica were involved in a pro Brexit campaign

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8392288 said:
Not necessarily true. Both Trump and Brexit were underdog campaigns at the start and therefore were more likely to need underhand tactics (such as hiring CA) to win.

The underhand tactics certainly did a good job getting the emotional response they desired. The real dirty work it seems wasn't carried out by CA, this was sub'd out

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Indeed. I don't actually remember anything about the remain campaign, although I heard a lot about the Brexit campaign - you could't get away from all the 'getting our borders back', 'getting our blue passports back', 'getting £350 million quid back' and 'project fear'. I remember all that shit. The remain campaign was pathetically unmemorable by comparison.

So, yes, it will be interested to know who paid this company, a company that apparently has plenty of East European girls handy for use, and will apparently stoop at nothing to manipulate our electorate.

That doesn't mean we should rerun the Brexit vote, though. Let parliament do their job and vote on the deal, when it is set to be signed.....

Unfortunately that won't happen either, because Corbyn and Momentum are in favour of Brexit and are not pushing for a parliamentary vote. Another example of politicians abusing their position to suit their own agenda. Labour, with the right leader, could and should be walking all over this cluster****, but they aren't, and that's what's annoying me most at the moment(um).

Hear hear...I agree with every word of that HWT

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Here we go again...

tin_foil_hat.gif

Lengthy but interesting read from someone at the heart of the official Leave campaign.

https://dominiccummings.com/2018/03...-global-conspiracies-and-a-scooby-doo-ending/

https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-campaign-was-totally-illegal-claims-whistleblower

People will be heading to court over this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course you're allowed to ask the question. Move on from the Brexit vote ? Yes. It happened - get over it.

With all due respect - bollocks.

I get that those of a Leave flavour don’t understand this, or want to acknowledge it, but if people genuinely feel we are making a mistake, they will continue to, and have every right to, fight against it. Pushing for a second vote, is neither undemocratic not unpatriotic. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Indeed. I don't actually remember anything about the remain campaign, although I heard a lot about the Brexit campaign - you could't get away from all the 'getting our borders back', 'getting our blue passports back', 'getting £350 million quid back' and 'project fear'. I remember all that shit. The remain campaign was pathetically unmemorable by comparison.

So, yes, it will be interested to know who paid this company, a company that apparently has plenty of East European girls handy for use, and will apparently stoop at nothing to manipulate our electorate.

That doesn't mean we should rerun the Brexit vote, though. Let parliament do their job and vote on the deal, when it is set to be signed.....

Unfortunately that won't happen either, because Corbyn and Momentum are in favour of Brexit and are not pushing for a parliamentary vote. Another example of politicians abusing their position to suit their own agenda. Labour, with the right leader, could and should be walking all over this cluster****, but they aren't, and that's what's annoying me most at the moment(um).

More ill informed crap about Momentum. In our group there are two (2) who want out, all the rest are inners. In my CLP there was one outer.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

I have a favour to ask. A small favour and I promise never to ask or cajole you again on this subject.

Could you help me by explaining clearly to me one thing.

If there is the cast iron guarantee of another referendum for the U.K. At the end of this negotiation, something which, I agree, sounds perfectly reasonable. Then exactly what do you think the 27 EU states who we are leaving will do? Do you think that they will:

A) negotiate in good faith, ensuring that, on departure, the U.K. Will be offered an equitable deal that ensures both our and their economic future going forward whilst benefiting from the non EU deals which the UK can broker as an outward looking nation as third party beneficiaries?

Or.

B) knowing the UK will vote again on the deal they will do their absolute damndest to ensure that the UK will be left as an impoverished outcast with no leverage whatsoever in Europe or anywhere else, a nation of vagrant no-marks, severed from mutually beneficial trade with our current partners to act as a massive disincentive to the British public to vote again in defiance of their wishes and leave. Don't you think that our massive net contributor status worries them at all? Losing the UK is a disaster for them. It cannot be allowed to go ahead whatever the cost. A second referendum would mean us literally throwing what little negotiation cards we hold down the toilet.

Am I alone in seeing this most basic flaw in the remain stance? We'd be better off saying we will have a second vote to rejoin in 5 years after leaving than stupidly agreeing to one BEFORE we even negotiate. Are people really that thick that they can't see it? Why isn't the leave camp shouting this every time the subject comes up?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I might be missing a vital piece of this jigsaw and, frankly, can see be if it's in going AND staying..but to offer the electorate another vote if they don't like the deal would rank as number one in my "what not to do in a negotiation" guidebook.

Let's see who blinks first eh? Back us for once.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I get that those of a Leave flavour don’t understand this, or want to acknowledge it, but if people genuinely feel we are making a mistake, they will continue to, and have every right to, fight against it. Pushing for a second vote, is neither undemocratic not unpatriotic. Quite the opposite, in fact.

You have the same view as Nigel Farage but I believe accepting the outcome of free and fair elections, seeing that the will of the majority is enacted even if I passionately disagree with the result is an important democratic principle and a long-standing UK tradition.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
My point is that I can guarantee their opponents used the same tactics with different companies to gain advantages. The only difference is that CA got caught and are being rightfully made an example of. Pretending it's only people you dislike that are doing this is dishonest and naive.

Spill the beans then.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I have a favour to ask. A small favour and I promise never to ask or cajole you again on this subject.

Could you help me by explaining clearly to me one thing.

If there is the cast iron guarantee of another referendum for the U.K. At the end of this negotiation, something which, I agree, sounds perfectly reasonable. Then exactly what do you think the 27 EU states who we are leaving will do? Do you think that they will:

A) negotiate in good faith, ensuring that, on departure, the U.K. Will be offered an equitable deal that ensures both our and their economic future going forward whilst benefiting from the non EU deals which the UK can broker as an outward looking nation as third party beneficiaries?

Or.

B) knowing the UK will vote again on the deal they will do their absolute damndest to ensure that the UK will be left as an impoverished outcast with no leverage whatsoever in Europe or anywhere else, a nation of vagrant no-marks, severed from mutually beneficial trade with our current partners to act as a massive disincentive to the British public to vote again in defiance of their wishes and leave. Don't you think that our massive net contributor status worries them at all? Losing the UK is a disaster for them. It cannot be allowed to go ahead whatever the cost. A second referendum would mean us literally throwing what little negotiation cards we hold down the toilet.

Am I alone in seeing this most basic flaw in the remain stance? We'd be better off saying we will have a second vote to rejoin in 5 years after leaving than stupidly agreeing to one BEFORE we even negotiate. Are people really that thick that they can't see it? Why isn't the leave camp shouting this every time the subject comes up?

No you are not, but that simple point regarding negotiating is not really a leave or remain point is it? Anyone with an iota of sense understands it, it’s probably why the polls point overwhelmingly to remainers wanting the Govt to get on with Brexit.

However, and separately, if you continue to post sensible coherent views like this that no doubt someone on here will disagree with, you will probably find yourself on a permanent ban from certain threads.

Not that you will ever be told why of course.......keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This puts me in mind of the Clash classic "should I stay or Should I go"? Where the questioner is faced with a similar quandary; i.e: if he stays there will be trouble, but if he goes there will be double. The only difference in relation to Brexit is that, in order for mr. strummer to decide he would have to caveat. " if I plan to leave whilst offering a re-vote on the deal to satisfy my remainer electorate Chancellor Merkel and Emanuel Macron will shit all over my face to terrify me into staying"

But that doesn't rhyme.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

That is true to a point, and it’s no surprise to me that some remainers feel so strongly that they want to campaign for the political objective to re-join the EU.

Those politicians that want to do that should be honest with the public about it, as oppose to many who are being mealy mouthed about Brexit, vapidly supporting it publicly while working against it in practice.

This situation is the worst of both worlds, and ultimately will cause far deeper problems with how the public perceive this country’s politicians of all hues. Let’s be honest trust levels are at rock bottom now......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
More murky dealings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43527924

Vote Leave broke the law during the EU referendum by exceeding legal spending limits, a Brexit activist has claimed.

Shahmir Sanni told Channel 4 News that the official Brexit campaign used a different group, BeLeave, to overspend.

Vote Leave chief Dominic Cummings has already denied the claim and said he checked with the Electoral Commission before donating money to the group.

Mr Sanni has also criticised Vote Leave manager Stephen Parkinson, his ex-boyfriend, for outing him as gay.

"I know that, that Vote Leave cheated… I know that, that people have been lied to and that the referendum wasn't legitimate," Mr Sanni told Channel 4 News.

"Leaving the European Union, I agree with.

"But I don't agree with losing what it means to be British in that process; losing what it means to follow the rules; losing what it means to be quite literally a functioning democracy."

In a "personal statement" issued to Channel 4 News, Stephen Parkinson denied the allegations and said he was confident he had stayed within the law and spending rules "at all times".

He said he was "saddened" by the "factually incorrect and misleading" statements from Mr Sanni, who now works for the Taxpayer's Alliance.

Earlier, Mr Sanni said - in a statement issued through his lawyers - that Mr Parkinson had outed him as gay in his original response.

Mr Sanni, a British Pakistani, said he was forced to tell his family and that relatives in Pakistan could be in danger as a result.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More murky dealings.

Vote Leave broke the law during the EU referendum by exceeding legal spending limits, a Brexit activist has claimed.

Shahmir Sanni told Channel 4 News that the official Brexit campaign used a different group, BeLeave, to overspend.

Vote Leave chief Dominic Cummings has already denied the claim and said he checked with the Electoral Commission before donating money to the group.

Mr Sanni has also criticised Vote Leave manager Stephen Parkinson, his ex-boyfriend, for outing him as gay.

"I know that, that Vote Leave cheated… I know that, that people have been lied to and that the referendum wasn't legitimate," Mr Sanni told Channel 4 News.

"But I don't agree with losing what it means to be British in that process; losing what it means to follow the rules; losing what it means to be quite literally a functioning democracy."

In a "personal statement" issued to Channel 4 News, Stephen Parkinson denied the allegations and said he was confident he had stayed within the law and spending rules "at all times".

He said he was "saddened" by the "factually incorrect and misleading" statements from Mr Sanni, who now works for the Taxpayer's Alliance.

Earlier, Mr Sanni said - in a statement issued through his lawyers - that Mr Parkinson had outed him as gay in his original response.

Mr Sanni, a British Pakistani, said he was forced to tell his family and that relatives in Pakistan could be in danger as a result.

Boris is in complete denial. At least it gives the story exposure beyond the quality press

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
More murky dealings.

Mr. Sanni has issues, issues, issues all the way down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here