Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Building project advice

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not at home at the mo to access my plans, but the plan is a 6m x 6m room with 3m bifold patio doors into the garden. No side windows.
Any reason why you're just having 3m bifold doors on a wall that's 6m long? Which direction do those glass doors face?
And what does this room join onto at the other end - just a door to a hall or something?

Virtually everyone has said to definitely get 2x roof lights 3mx1m in a flat roof
Depending on your budget, you may want to see which sizes are standard, as bespoke will cost more.

Another factor is what the room is going to be used for?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
1) Go for a concrete beam suspended floor with block infill. Quicker to install and should give a cost saving.
2) Definitely warm roof. Again, quicker to fit, no need to ventilate the roof, and keeps Building Control happy. The downside is that the overall thickness of the roof means that the carpenter will have to be a bit creative to avoid a very deep fascia.
3) Depends on how much other glazing you have in the extension. generally speaking the total glazing area can't exceed more than 25% of the floor area, but you can usually get away with a bit more if you upgrade the insulation. One downside with rooflights is that condensation forms on them , unless you get really good double/triple glazed ones.

Nice one - thanks for the advice

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Any reason why you're just having 3m bifold doors on a wall that's 6m long? Which direction do those glass doors face?
And what does this room join onto at the other end - just a door to a hall or something?

Depending on your budget, you may want to see which sizes are standard, as bespoke will cost more.

Another factor is what the room is going to be used for?

Thanks for the response
Doors face out onto a south facing garden. We get the sun from 9-9 in the back garden during the summer.
Room will be used as part new kitchen and part second lounge/family room.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for the response
Doors face out onto a south facing garden. We get the sun from 9-9 in the back garden during the summer.
6 x 6 (20' x 20') isn't actually that big, and you will get a decent amount of light just from the bifold doors. Why 3m?

Room will be used as part new kitchen and part second lounge/family room.
Will there be a tv for the family room part? If so, you need to think about where that is, and whether you'll see light reflections from where you sit.

How will the room be split? Any kitchen area at the opposite end to the bifolds could do with light from above. But that may not be the case for a TV area.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
6 x 6 (20' x 20') isn't actually that big, and you will get a decent amount of light just from the bifold doors. Why 3m?

Will there be a tv for the family room part? If so, you need to think about where that is, and whether you'll see light reflections from where you sit.

How will the room be split? Any kitchen area at the opposite end to the bifolds could do with light from above. But that may not be the case for a TV area.

Cheers
The reason for 3 metres is my wife wants it! Lol!
Yep great point re the tv as we will be having one.
The kitchen area will be to the right hand side and about a 2.5 metres wide on an L-shape. Give me 2 mins and I will get a pic up.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Capture.JPG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The reason for 3 metres is my wife wants it! Lol!
Does she not know that bigger is better? Unless the view out to your garden is rubbish, maybe consider 4 or 5m. What's the view to the garden like?

Cool. Difficult to see the TV from the sofa.

A room that size would love a kitchen island. Your drawing suggests you walk out onto grass - you'll want to walk out onto patio (at least for some of it).

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Does she not know that bigger is better? Unless the view out to your garden is rubbish, maybe consider 4 or 5m. What's the view to the garden like?

Cool. Difficult to see the TV from the sofa.

A room that size would love a kitchen island. Your drawing suggests you walk out onto grass - you'll want to walk out onto patio (at least for some of it).

LOL she is used to a standard size! I might be able to persuade her otherwise!

TV location is changeable, so it'll go wherever best suits (and taking into consideration glare from roof lights)
I think we will highly likely get an island too. We were thinking about a J shape kitchen but didn't want the kitchen to dominate.
Yeah there's already a patio to the west of the new build, but we certainly will be having 'something' before walking onto the grass

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Why not consider a roof lantern with opening vents, this would help throw light into the existing room which will become really dark once a solid flat roof is built.
Three door bi-folds can be made up to 3.7 metres wide, any wider you will need 4 doors, but be aware that for all the doors to travel one way, you need an odd number if you want to open the master from the outside.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Does she not know that bigger is better? Unless the view out to your garden is rubbish, maybe consider 4 or 5m. ).

Assuming 6 metres is the external measurement of the extension, you wouldn't be able to install 5 metre wide doors without additional support, as Building Regulations stipulate that the masonry piers either side of the doors must be a minimum 785mm wide.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
LOL she is used to a standard size! I might be able to persuade her otherwise!
You don't have to, it's just generally nice (IMO) to have a nice wide opening (snigger).
TV location is changeable, so it'll go wherever best suits (and taking into consideration glare from roof lights)
Try and plan it out before you decide where all the window etc go.
I think we will highly likely get an island too.
You might want bar stools at the island? Somewhere people can sit and chat while someone's getting food/drink ready? You might want to TV in view from someone preparing food on the island (lots to consider).

Assuming 6 metres is the external measurement of the extension
He said a 6m x 6m room, so I assume he meant inside.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
He said a 6m x 6m room, so I assume he meant inside.

If someone says that they want a 6M x 6M extension I would assume that they are the external measurements.
For the purposes of obtaining planning permission you would state the external dimensions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If someone says that they want a 6M x 6M extension I would assume that they are the external measurements.
For the purposes of obtaining planning permission you would state the external dimensions.
I know, but he wasn't applying to me for planning permission, I asked him for a plan of the room and he said it was a 6 x 6 room. Maybe he meant the whole extension was 6 x 6, in which case the doors will need to be smaller.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

I know, but he wasn't applying to me for planning permission, I asked him for a plan of the room and he said it was a 6 x 6 room. Maybe he meant the whole extension was 6 x 6, in which case the doors will need to be smaller.

Apologies chaps - didn't mean to start a row!
It's my fault for not being clear - my external measurements are 6x6.

I'm grateful for all the dialogues today.
#makelovenotwar x

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My build will complete next week! 8 weeks all told and only went £2k over budget, so all's well!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Time to resurrect this thread. I'm in Burgess Hill and have had the plans approved and calculations done. I'd like work completed by June 2020 if anyone feels they could undertake this and wants the chance to quote then PM me your details so I can contact you

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here