Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League Experience

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Okay so we're approaching the business end of the season now.

How has everyone found our debut season in the Premier League and first in the top tier for 30+ years?

Everything you expected and hoped for, or a damp squib?

For me, I've loved seeing the clubs profile sky rocket (fans in India chanting about Anthony Knockeart was just surreal given where we've come from).

Having visited Arsenal, Old Trafford, WHU, Wembley etc this season I have however been incredibly underwhelmed with that aspect of plying our trade in the top flight. In a perverse way I miss trips to the likes of Ashton Gate, Loftus Road and The Valley. Could even list teams further down the footballing pyramid however I'm keen not to come across as ungrateful.

For me, from a football perspective I've loved it - tonkings & footballing lessons aside, and even then you have to just marvel at the opposition. Taking 3 points off Arsenal was of course the season high (to date).

In terms of that raw matchday experience, for me it hasnt always delivered. Conscious a large portion of that is down to the previous two seasons where we amassed circa 180 points - in short we've been bloody spoilt.

I think if we can stay up, continue strengthening the squad and keep becoming more and more competitive this division will grow on me.

Where's everyone else at?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I've loved it overall. As you say, the raised profile of the club around the world is the stuff of dreams. The season has well exceeded my expectations in terms of where I thought we'd be at this stage. Our new players have been excellent on the whole.

The away games at the big teams that I've been to have been pretty depressing though - the level of tourist support/half and half scarves/complete lack of atmosphere has surprised me more than i thought it would. I'd hate to be a die hard fan of the likes of Arsenal/United - awful match day experience.

However i try not to look back at the lower leagues through rose tinted glasses... Grounds a third full most of the time. True, die hard fans yes but still largely pretty terrible, dead atmospheres! Wouldn't like to go back...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Enjoyed it but away games appear sterile now

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
Really enjoying it - the quality of football has improved from last year. It was/is a steep learning curve but I think the team now is already much better than last years version. I was dreading getting tonked every week but that hasn’t really happened and apart from Udders, West Brom & Everton (all away) I think we’ve performed well & played some good stuff. Can only see more inprovement next year, so looking forward to that too

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought I might lose my love for some of the individual members of the team, with potential big name signings - but I absolutely love Gross, Izquierdo, Propper, Schellotto, Ryan.....they all seem such normal, down-to-earth guys.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really enjoying it - the quality of football has improved from last year. It was/is a steep learning curve but I think the team now is already much better than last years version. I was dreading getting tonked every week but that hasn’t really happened and apart from Udders, West Brom & Everton (all away) I think we’ve performed well & played some good stuff. Can only see more inprovement next year, so looking forward to that too

Mostly this for me. Would add that the big clubs have a generally crap atmosphere due to tourists (let’s nail once and for all the myth about the Amex being crap - it really isn’t). We’ve had the occasional schooling (Liverpool at home, Chelsea twice), the odd crap performance (WBA away sticks in the craw as an abomination) and a few results that were a whisker away from being so much better (too many to mention) and enough memorable games to look back at and smile (Arsenal, West Ham twice etc).

Was shit-scared at the start of the season we would be outclassed but we simply haven’t been, we’ve done bloody well and another 3-4 points will see us comfortably over the line. Still find it a bit surreal that we travel back from Old Trafford, twice, pissed off we haven’t got a result.

Let’s beat Leicester and enjoy the run-in.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Quality is better, opponents are better(mostly). Now we're here I don't want to be anywhere else....unless anywhere else gets promoted this season???

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I thought I might lose my love for some of the individual members of the team, with potential big name signings - but I absolutely love Gross, Izquierdo, Propper, Schellotto, Ryan.....they all seem such normal, down-to-earth guys.

What about the boys from last year that stayed the course ? I love seeing Murray Dunk et al doing it in the Prem

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Like the quality of the football. Happy at home. Away games have become very dull. I’ll be going to less next season.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Like the quality of the football. Happy at home. Away games have become very dull. I’ll be going to less next season.

I wonder how many are feeling like this. Will be interesting to see how quickly we sell out away games next year should we stay up, esp against the big boys.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wonder how many are feeling like this. Will be interesting to see how quickly we sell out away games next year should we stay up, esp against the big boys.

Agreed. Ignoring relegation possibilities, I’m far more likely to return to Swansea, Bournemouth, Stoke, West Ham, Leicester and West Brom ([emoji23][emoji23]) than Man U, Spurs or Arsenal.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed. Ignoring relegation possibilities, I’m far more likely to return to Swansea, Bournemouth, Stoke, West Ham, Leicester and West Brom ([emoji23][emoji23]) than Man U, Spurs or Arsenal.

I know a lot feeling the same way. Combination of the soulless, depressing atmosphere with how unlikely it is to actually get anything against them makes the away games against the so called lesser teams far more attractive.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016

Can’t wait to go to Spurs away next season to tick off another new ground:albion2:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I prefer watching a winning team, so the championship was more fun. Scratching for existence isn't

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Loving it and i want more.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree with everything the OP says. Loved it this season playing the big boys. Agree the atmosphere is crap at times.

I do wonder of the novelty will eventually wear off. We're all riding the wave at the moment and hopefully will for the foreseeable, but you have to be wary of ending up like Stoke, West Brom or Stains this season - all the best players sold and a team full of expensive dross. Also I've noticed the atmosphere from the away fans at the Amex has been dreadful, you get the feeling that they're just turning up and going through the motions.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Better than I expected it would be and, once safe then we can play the 'top teams' for fun in the last few games.
Hope we don't go in reverse after our honeymoon debut season though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here