Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Holland Vs England - ITV

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
BBC? Gutter press? How many of the arrests did you actually witness? I honestly think that for anyone to go to a foreign country, drink all day as part of a large crowd seems to be perfectly OK for Scots, Irish and many other countries and seems to be good natured but when English fans do it, there seems to be trouble. Maybe that's why I am so often ashamed to be English when abroad.
About 60 it seems

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know the Hoolie issue is shaming and I know that it's embarrassing to see a 46 year old man, covered I tatts, bald head massive ale gut spilling over his white 3/4 length shorts,white trainers, Bald head Luzzing plastic chairs around some piazza in Europe but it's also vaguely comical too. It heralds summer as sure as a murmuration of starlings over the west pier herald the coming of another long winter.

I'm never ashamed of being English. Ever. Those men represent the misgovernment of poor areas in our conurbations and are nothing whatsoever to do with the proud history of our island. Unless we plan on defending it with fat alcoholics who can no more throw a punch than quote a shakespearean sonnet.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
BBC? Gutter press? How many of the arrests did you actually witness? I honestly think that for anyone to go to a foreign country, drink all day as part of a large crowd seems to be perfectly OK for Scots, Irish and many other countries and seems to be good natured but when English fans do it, there seems to be trouble. Maybe that's why I am so often ashamed to be English when abroad.

Aside from football, in my younger days I've been abroad and seen just as many pissed up lager louts from Scotland, Ireland, germany, Russia, etc as from England. It's a horrible trait but it really isn't just the English. Part of the problem is that we take so many fans to these games/tournaments too. Not many countries would have 6000 in Holland for a friendly. I wasn't there but im pretty confident that the vast majority of those were good natured. It's a shame that a few hundred Neanderthals tar us all with the same brush.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that every single time there’s trouble, no matter which country it’s in, those who get nicked always without fail claim they were innocently standing by.

I’ve been watching football for 40 years and have managed to stay out of trouble. Why can’t they?

Totally agree. To honest i avoid these types in all situations, holidays, football etc. It can be embarrassing to be English sometimes and i cringe abroad when you see a drunk Phil
Mitchell look a like, causing mayhem. Of course there are decent people who get caught up with the trouble, but maybe some don’t do enough to keep away from them, maybe they like the tribal bit a little?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The advice has been given so many times over the decades - find quieter bars or hotels to drink and avoid congregating with the huge pissed mob. It’s a shame that significant numbers within the mob can’t hold their drink, start to throw beer, objects, vandalise and abuse others. Yes, the overseas police do then over react with brutality. But using the brain cell to TAKE THE WELL KNOWN ADVICE will keep travellers out of any trouble.

Generally that's good advice but it doesn't work in these circumstances

- Finding a quiet back street in Marseille was about the worst place to be
- The cafe in Belgium in 2000 where everyone was minding thier own business and the locals decided to storm the place in motor bike helmets and issue a shooing
-Russia for Euro 2008 where being English was fair game to get punched in the head.
- Spain away where the local rozzers went to town on any England fan so much so the FA refused to go back there at the time

I'm not disputing bell ends follow England but you can be caught up in all this when minding your own business. The reputation from the 80s has stuck.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Could you imagine the outrage in the UK, if the Dutch went on the rampage in the West end of London and it resulted in mayhem and circa 100 arrests?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Generally that's good advice but it doesn't work in these circumstances

- Finding a quiet back street in Marseille was about the worst place to be
- The cafe in Belgium in 2000 where everyone was minding thier own business and the locals decided to storm the place in motor bike helmets and issue a shooing
-Russia for Euro 2008 where being English was fair game to get punched in the head.
- Spain away where the local rozzers went to town on any England fan so much so the FA refused to go back there at the time

I'm not disputing bell ends follow England but you can be caught up in all this when minding your own business. The reputation from the 80s has stuck.

Don't wear shirts or display flags until you're in the stadium, find somewhere to drink that isn't teeming with those in shirts and displaying flags, and you will stay out of trouble.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Don't wear shirts or display flags until you're in the stadium, find somewhere to drink that isn't teeming with those in shirts and displaying flags, and you will stay out of trouble.

So standing with your hands in the air in the front of a queue in Spain to get in the ground and being battoned by the rozzers or being on public transport isn't low key enough?

If Albion got into the Europa league, drew a Dutch team, a load of ticketless fans went over acted like idiots but a portion of the regulars got nicked, the tone on here would be extremely different.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This was the Spain game in question :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...nd-action-over-police-brutality-in-Spain.html

Another eye-witness, Chris Hodges, recalls: "We witnessed what can only be described as an assault on innocent members of the public. It was taking a ridiculous amount of time to get into the ground and there was nowhere for anyone to back up to stop people getting crushed so the police waded into the crowd, swinging batons indiscriminately around people's heads. People had blood running down their faces and a girl was left lying on the floor

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So standing with your hands in the air in the front of a queue in Spain to get in the ground and being battoned by the rozzers or being on public transport isn't low key enough?

If Albion got into the Europa league, drew a Dutch team, a load of ticketless fans went over acted like idiots but a portion of the regulars got nicked, the tone on here would be extremely different.

It’s quite easy in this thread to see who’s done England away and who doesn’t have a clue tbh. Easy to dish out black and white advice from an armchair isn’t it...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s quite easy in this thread to see who’s done England away and who doesn’t have a clue tbh. Easy to dish out black and white advice from an armchair isn’t it...

There were posters on here that suggested England were asking for it in Marseille don’t forget !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've been to two Albion games in Spain which admittedly were pre-season friendlies (and several in Portugal) and not been beaten up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've been to two Albion games in Spain which admittedly were pre-season friendlies (and several in Portugal) and not been beaten up.[/QUOTE

You are not of the age that has anything to prove, same as me, and just want to watch the football that you have gone to see. Incidentally was that during Poyet's time if so we went to the same match Wife drove to Portugal and we had a 2 week holiday taking in the 3 games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are not of the age that has anything to prove, same as me, and just want to watch the football that you have gone to see. Incidentally was that during Poyet's time if so we went to the same match Wife drove to Portugal and we had a 2 week holiday taking in the 3 games.

Yes, three years in a row, twice in Portugal where the police stood on a track between us and the pitch, with dogs snapping and snarling,

Then the third time in Spain where we played in Jerez and Marbella.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

No we are in the wrong. A poster has done a Micky mouse Albion friendly in pre season and knows the score. If only we'd kept our heads down everything would have been fine #clueless

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No we are in the wrong. A poster has done a Micky mouse Albion friendly in pre season and knows the score. If only we'd kept our heads down everything would have been fine #clueless

Where did I say that? Herr Tubthumper posted he has been to England away games and not had any trouble.

What identifies you as an England fan? Shirts and flags. Don't have either and don't hang around in big groups.
I know you said you were battened going into the ground, and I can understand that's horrific, but were you arrested for it?

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I still loved the players, play and the managers. Great memories, you can’t take away:

Teams can still have a great tournament, even if they don’t win it.

Gazza, Shilton, Butcher, Beardsley, Pearce, Lineker, P.Neville, Shearer etc etc, were all exceptional players, and Robson / Venables didn’t screw up.

How did Venables not screw up?
Yes alot of good players however in the 1990 world cup they only played one good game against Germany.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know the Hoolie issue is shaming and I know that it's embarrassing to see a 46 year old man, covered I tatts, bald head massive ale gut spilling over his white 3/4 length shorts,white trainers, Bald head Luzzing plastic chairs around some piazza in Europe but it's also vaguely comical too. It heralds summer as sure as a murmuration of starlings over the west pier herald the coming of another long winter.

I'm never ashamed of being English. Ever. Those men represent the misgovernment of poor areas in our conurbations and are nothing whatsoever to do with the proud history of our island. Unless we plan on defending it with fat alcoholics who can no more throw a punch than quote a shakespearean sonnet.

Not completely. A guy I used to work with was very proud of his involvement in various fracas away with England. He wasn’t overweight, and he was a financial advisor in private banking (and Leeds fan, which probably explains it) on a six figure salary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here