Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People You'd Rather See As Leader of the Tory Party/HMG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm no Tory, and after the end of Thatcher I hoped and prayed we'd never have another woman Prime Minister as long as I lived. However, becoming PM with the job of seeing Brexit through is as near to being a poison chalice as any job has ever been for a PM - fantastically difficult, with backsliders and backstabbers left, right and centre trying to sabotage the process. And tbh, in that context, Theresa May - and I'm certainly not saying she's great - is probably doing just as well as anybody else could in the circumstances.
Once we're safely and irrevocably out, though, I won't hesitate to vote her (or whoever else might be leading the Tories by then) out.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I'm no Tory, and after the end of Thatcher I hoped and prayed we'd never have another woman Prime Minister as long as I lived. However, becoming PM with the job of seeing Brexit through is as near to being a poison chalice as any job has ever been for a PM - fantastically difficult, with backsliders and backstabbers left, right and centre trying to sabotage the process. And tbh, in that context, Theresa May - and I'm certainly not saying she's great - is probably doing just as well as anybody else could in the circumstances.
Once we're safely and irrevocably out, though, I won't hesitate to vote her (or whoever else might be leading the Tories by then) out.

Yes, don’t deny that managing Brexit is difficult but I cannot support May for two reasons.

Firstly, she’s clearly no leader. Her speeches are terrible and she usually looks terrified at any set piece occasion.

Secondly, and worse, she’s politically cowardly. It’s perfectly obvious that no one else in the Tory party has the guts to challenge her despite her frequent gaffes so why not use that to both speak out more boldly and honestly and get rid of some of the morons such as Boris?!

Her last speech on Brexit was the only one where I felt she was both realistic and showed a little backbone in telling the swivel eyed loons that they can’t have it all!

God knows who could lead the government from the current crop though. I find the entire front bench deeply unimpressive......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I can’t think of a single Prime Minister who was given a shittier stick as PM.

Well, Winston Churchill became prime minister within hours of the Nazi's invading France. That was quite a tough one.

All Teresa May had to do was tell half the public they were idiots, keep us in the EU, preside over a growing British economy and tackle her raison d'etre of bringing people out of poverty and governing for everyone.

Instead, she decided to tell the other half of the public that they were idiots, embarked on the current cluster**** of taking us out of the EU with no idea on how to do it, carried on austerity policies and presided over a collapse of the NHS and rising inequality.

When you're handed a shitty stick, you don't have to take it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, Winston Churchill became prime minister within hours of the Nazi's invading France. That was quite a tough one.

All Teresa May had to do was tell half the public they were idiots, keep us in the EU, preside over a growing British economy and tackle her raison d'etre of bringing people out of poverty and governing for everyone.

Instead, she decided to tell the other half of the public that they were idiots, embarked on the current cluster**** of taking us out of the EU with no idea on how to do it, carried on austerity policies and presided over a collapse of the NHS and rising inequality.

When you're handed a shitty stick, you don't have to take it.

You make it sound so simple. Kalimantan for PM :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I think it's also fair to say that he didn't have masses of his MPs, both friends and enemies, plus all the luvvies in the Westminster bubble, trying to sabotage his efforts to win the war. Once his mission was accomplished, out he went.

All Teresa May had to do was tell half the public they were idiots, keep us in the EU.
Fortunately, we're still a democracy, so well done TM for that, and for not condemning us to the dictatorship of he establishment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, don’t deny that managing Brexit is difficult but I cannot support May for two reasons.

Firstly, she’s clearly no leader. Her speeches are terrible and she usually looks terrified at any set piece occasion.

Secondly, and worse, she’s politically cowardly. It’s perfectly obvious that no one else in the Tory party has the guts to challenge her despite her frequent gaffes so why not use that to both speak out more boldly and honestly and get rid of some of the morons such as Boris?!

Her last speech on Brexit was the only one where I felt she was both realistic and showed a little backbone in telling the swivel eyed loons that they can’t have it all!

God knows who could lead the government from the current crop though. I find the entire front bench deeply unimpressive......
But you don't appear to have any idea about who could do it better at the moment. Best of a bad bunch she may be, but undoubtedly she has showed a little backbone in telling the swivel eyed loons in her party like Ken Clarke that they can't just overturn the referendum, or pretend it never happened.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Nothing in politics is irrevocable. We have elections every four years, unless you want a dictatorship.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nothing in politics is irrevocable. We have elections every four years, unless you want a dictatorship.

Close but no cigar.

May already knows she won't be PM after the next election but she's clinging on like the addict to power she clearly is.
Meanwhile the disadvantaged are isolated from mainstream society and future generations will shake their fists at the mention of her name.
She has no moral compass.

Still voting for my pet schnauzer. In competition with Rees (man of the people) Mogg she is a sure fire winner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here