Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People you'd rather see as Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why do people still refer to Johnson as 'Boris' like some term of endearment?

To distinguish him from the other Johnsons. There are a number of them. It isn't even possible to specify him as the blond Johnson, as they are all blond. Having scoped around for names of ficional traitors who back stab their leader and ingratiate themselves with whatever scum might be of value to their ambition, 'Pettigrew' pops up high in the list (a little shit from the Harry Potter stories). I think that in future I shall use Pettigrew when referring to 'Boris'. There is even a superficial facial resemblance:

pettigrew.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree with Boris. There I have said it. Shoot me down.

The issue isn't whether you agree with Boris or not.

The issue is the deliberately inflammatory language around postboxes & bank robbers. It is very easy to have this debate in a civilised fashion.

And if Johnson does stridently believe what he is saying rather than using it for a bout of Bannon driven non-virtue signalling, then is the best way to deal with victims of oppression (as he paints them to be) to ridicule them in public?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Oh dear. The mans not a buffoon, he's a nasty, dangerous individual. This comment was very carefully calibrated to offend some but principally to send a message to others so they think "He's alright that Boris bloke, straight talking and not afraid to speak his mind" They will be the same folk who also say things like "I'm not racist but..." and "we've got to look after the 'our people' first" and then eventually, "Yes, yes, gas chambers... but don't forget he's done good things too."

Anyone who thinks different is, IMHO, supporting the subtle, but deliberate, radicalisation of the UK mainstream.

Bingo!

Personally I would rather my politicians said what they think rather than just come out with the normal political correct nonsense. That's why Trump is so popular in the US. Says what he thinks, does what he thinks, which is in marked contrast to most politicians. Our political system is crying out for that.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Exactly, and yes on reflection my 90% is high, but I suspect it is a very high proportion. At least two thirds, probably more.

Ahh, the old "He's only saying what people think" - So it's okay to whip up hysteria about muslims and how they dress, which is exactly what he's trying to do, by the way. How may of these people of the public have ever even see a woman in a veil? Few, I imagine.

This tweet from Ipsos-Mori says a lot "Despite niqabs etc being very exciting, fewer than 1% of the uk population likely to wear them - only 5% of population are Muslim in first place and most Muslim women in uk are not veiled. But Boris knows how to excite. Public think c15% of Population are Muslim".

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
. Public think c15% of Population are Muslim".

Ironically that's what the prediction is for 2047. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-uk-could-triple-13m-following-record-influx/

When you think of the political and cultural clashes we currently have now. Can you imagine what the country will be like then? Far better to have these discussions now about how we want this to work rather than wait until then. Whilst people may not like the language that Boris is using I think the majority will be happy to see these discussions finally taking place in public rather than whispered in secret.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I would rather my politicians said what they think rather than just come out with the normal political correct nonsense. That's why Trump is so popular in the US. Says what he thinks, does what he thinks, which is in marked contrast to most politicians. Our political system is crying out for that.

Exactly, and yes on reflection my 90% is high, but I suspect it is a very high proportion. At least two thirds, probably more.

Your political system is crying out for a lot more, a hell of a lot more, than a load of boorish gobshites.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ironically that's what the prediction is for 2047. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-uk-could-triple-13m-following-record-influx/

When you think of the political and cultural clashes we currently have now. Can you imagine what the country will be like then? Far better to have these discussions now about how we want this to work rather than wait until then. Whilst people may not like the language that Boris is using I think the majority will be happy to see these discussions finally taking place in public rather than whispered in secret.

Cultural clashes? What do you mean?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How may of these people of the public have ever even see a woman in a veil? Few, I imagine.

Now you are talking UTTER tosh. There are Muslims wearing Burkhas and Niqabs in Hove, they are in Beaconsfield, they are in Gloucester, they exist in many places you would not expect. Add to this that people do actually travel, then old ladies from Eastbourne go to London, sheep farmers from the Dales go to Blackburn, and even Tories have to drive through Luton occasionally!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Do you think 'letterboxes' and 'bank robbers' were necessary to illustrate the point he was making?

Letterboxes no, although we all can see what he means.

Bank robbers yes, because it's relevant. They present a security risk. If you go into a bank or petrol station wearing a motorcycle helmet you are asked to remove it. What is the difference? Perhaps his wording could have been better, but nonetheless I don't fundamentally disagree with the overall point he is making. Personally like several European countries I would ban it, but Boris is not saying that. He prefers to question it's validity and try and win the argument. In a way that has to be admired v the blanket approach taken by the French for example.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here