Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People you'd rather see as Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly OT but is a Muslim MP permitted to wear a Burka in Parliament if she chose as I have noticed none of them do

That's bcause they look silly on a bloke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You've completely lost it this time. Just rambling nonsense. Pollution levels? My house looks out over the Peak District so that's not really an issue. You do know that Sheffield is the greenest city in the country? Well clearly not...... :)

I mentioned that you could have chosen a more appropriate user name and you went on a rant about teachers. Very strange.

I'm sure it all makes sense to you though and that's what's important. Never mind that nobody else has a clue what you're banging on about. As per.

Regards

LL :kiss:

*cough* the drink *cough*

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
johnson a confirmed racist ? probably, thornberry holding the white working class in contempt?(based on one tweet) , probably, it just highlights the mindset
of the labour metropolitan elite.

Yeah, that white van man thing....metropolitan elite indeed. I agree - silly own goal.

post edited - I see from your earlier post BJ isn't your man. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Based on one (****ing awful) tweet.

By that rationale Johnson is a confirmed racist.

Confirmed devious **** more like. I don't think he's racist - he gives the impression he'd **** any woman regardless of race.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We live in very bizarre times,especially with the media and reaction to the media. It's important to understand that Boris made his comments in his role as journalist,not MP.

He was defending the right to cover your face. It was anti EU piece having a pop at EU countries who have banned it.

Boris did so in such a crass way that people were ringing in local radio stations to support his "call for a ban".

Public figures like Boris and Trump have sussed a significant part of the electorate. They can say something their supporters actually disagree with (if they thought for 10 seconds), but they go away thinking he is on their side.

He is a very very dangerous politician.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was obviously speaking of female Muslim MPs. but I do agree.

Covering hair is less common among the middle classes and uni educated muslim women. I see little of it where I work (a top 6 UK uni). Sometimes I need to log on to NSC to remind myself that so many folk of varying pigmentation and persuasion are still living in the 1950s. And I don't mean *you :thumbsup:

*1970s would be my guess :rolleyes:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a completely bizarre thing to get worked up about. It's such a minority of women who wear anything like that I struggle with the fuss.Personally I think it is something from the dark ages but even in London you barely see it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We live in very bizarre times,especially with the media and reaction to the media. It's important to understand that Boris made his comments in his role as journalist,not MP.

He was defending the right to cover your face. It was anti EU piece having a pop at EU countries who have banned it.

Boris did so in such a crass way that people were ringing in local radio stations to support his "call for a ban".

Public figures like Boris and Trump have sussed a significant part of the electorate. They can say something their supporters actually disagree with (if they thought for 10 seconds), but they go away thinking he is on their side.

He is a very very dangerous politician.

He might have made the comments as a journalist, but it is still an MP making the comment.

But I agree with your final comment. I started off thinking he was an amiable buffoon, then progressed to thinking he was just an insensitive clod. I now think he is a nasty, devious and calculating politician whose principles (if he has any) are subjugated to his ambition, and that he is very, very dangerous.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He might have made the comments as a journalist, but it is still an MP making the comment.

But I agree with your final comment. I started off thinking he was an amiable buffoon, then progressed to thinking he was just an insensitive clod. I now think he is a nasty, devious and calculating politician whose principles (if he has any) are subjugated to his ambition, and that he is very, very dangerous.

Quite, my point being that Boris is actually a shock jock journalist who has somehow found his way to being an MP.

I don't think he has any ideology at all except wanting to be Prime Minister which is why most politicians even on the right deeply mistrust him.

To give him "political" credit he judged the way the country was going on Brexit and acted accordingly. However, he would equally have campaigned to remain if that worked well for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two year old grasp of reality, two girlfriends (left and right hands), League Two level of debate, Y2 standard of writing and comprehension.

So many user names that would have fit perfectly. But you chose the completely ironic one. Unless of course the professors involved are both dead and their decomposing brains have been mostly eaten by worms.

Sometimes it makes me quite sad to read your posts attacking deadmugsheep I have long blocked. Other times it makes me laugh. "Two girlfriends (left and right hand)" :laugh::bowdown:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite, my point being that Boris is actually a shock jock journalist who has somehow found his way to being an MP.

I don't think he has any ideology at all except wanting to be Prime Minister which is why most politicians even on the right deeply mistrust him.

To give him "political" credit he judged the way the country was going on Brexit and acted accordingly. However, he would equally have campaigned to remain if that worked well for him.

Great post

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a completely bizarre thing to get worked up about. It's such a minority of women who wear anything like that I struggle with the fuss.Personally I think it is something from the dark ages but even in London you barely see it.

here's the thing. Johnson isnt getting worked up about it, everyone else is. so if we accept the notion he has carefully and deliberatly chosen his words to get an expected reaction, we should assume he expected negative reaction from certain quarters. the article was written in the Telegraph rather than the Sun, so exactly who was the audience? not simply the alt right, perhaps those who the alt right dislike, telling them what they can and cant think. seems to me that everyone has played along perfectly.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
everything you say about boris johnson is true , and everything hes said about the burqua is true , another point is how the f*ck are we meant to trust the bloke in high office when he cant even sort out his f*cking barnet ??

He does sort his hair out, ruffling it deliberately before going on camera. Not unlike Richard Branson, quite happy to be seen out of his suit as long as it's on camera.

I'm got a lot of time for a number of politicians from all sides who are consistent with their beliefs. Particularly the ones who surprise me, irrespective of whether I agree with them or not.

Anne Widdecombe - raving right winger who went out of her way (against her party) to support a ban on fox hunting.

Kate Hoey - Labour but pro fox hunting and anti EU. Sorted me out when Lambeth tried to to take me to court for non payment of council tax. They lost the payments :)

Boris ? He believes in nothing, nothing at all. He just sits there in the middle of the night with a spreadsheet working out what he needs to say to just get over the line to become PM.

He's only got there because certain politicians like Cameron lacked confidence in their own position and thought Boris was popular whilst remaining deeply suspicious.

The worst example of an opportunist public figure I've seen in my lifetime. He's done well to take the crown from Jeffrey Archer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He does sort his hair out, ruffling it deliberately before going on camera. Not unlike Richard Branson, quite happy to be seen out of his suit as long as it's on camera.

I'm got a lot of time for a number of politicians from all sides who are consistent with their beliefs. Particularly the ones who surprise me, irrespective of whether I agree with them or not.

Anne Widdecombe - raving right winger who went out of her way (against her party) to support a ban on fox hunting.

Kate Hoey - Labour but pro fox hunting and anti EU. Sorted me out when Lambeth tried to to take me to court for non payment of council tax. They lost the payments :)

Boris ? He believes in nothing, nothing at all. He just sits there in the middle of the night with a spreadsheet working out what he needs to say to just get over the line to become PM.

He's only got there because certain politicians like Cameron lacked confidence in their own position and thought Boris was popular whilst remaining deeply suspicious.

The worst example of an opportunist public figure I've seen in my lifetime. He's done well to take the crown from Jeffrey Archer.

Absolutely this. Still not clear how he thinks he can take over from May having bottled standing against her last time. One assumes his contempt for his fellows is so great that he imagines they will have forgotten. Just they have forgotten the two letters, one in favour of remain, that he wrote just before jumping on the Brexit shit-wagon, and his old jailbird mate, and the 'hang Nelson Mandela' T shirt....

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

How people become MPs these days is undoubtedly a mess for all parties, whether they are progenies of MPs, old Etonians or just well connected Freemasons, Jews, homosexuals et al. I don’t think anyone could deny that.

Johnson’s skill (maybe some is luck) nevertheless is being able to judge the mood of the country. He did this with Brexit when the higher echelons of the pro remain Tory party considered the referendum a done deal.

He is a controversial figure because he does not always follow the orthodoxies of the establishment, and whether that is just rank political opportunism or not it doesn’t matter, the public have an individual they can rally around to represent their anti establishment views.

In this sense “burka-gate” is just re-running an argument between “the people” and the establishment, and the establishment are doing another great job of showing just how far removed they are from the mood of “the people”.

So, you have to really look at where you want to lay the blame here, is it a Boris who runs an argument in a Tory paper effectively based on a premis of stating he doesn’t respect what he is prepared to tolerate, (unlike a number of EU countries) or the shrill reactionaries in the political establishment.

If he is doing this as a planned strategy, then currently it’s the establishment that are showing their short comings for not diffusing the whole matter effectively. To that end, and comparitively he’s a political colossus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you serious.... It's all over the press irrespective of where it was written.

because of controversey. would it have been covered nearly so widely if it weren't? as you said earlier, a shock jock journalist, one that got heard by everyone and talked about for a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here