Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] People you'd rather see as Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Islamic State have carried out many terrorist attacks dressed in burkhas,most recently in Afghanistan.Armed robberies have been carried out in this country by people dressed in burkhas,so hardly fancy dress.

Are we to ban any form of mask, motorcycle helmets, balaclavas and anything else that has ever been used to conceal identity for criminal intent too?

Maybe we can outlaw tights while we're at it just in case someone somewhere might pull them over their head to rob a bank? ???

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What pseudo intellectuals? Who do you mean?

Whataboutism. One's an article about legal attire that references a casually racist joke and the other is a cartoon about Muhammed in a satirical magazine. Hebdo had plenty of other targets but Boris only seems to be writing for the Brexit / Brietbart crowd at the moment. Wonder why that is?

I know you're replying to HKFC here but I refer you to my earlier post. Your final two sentences don't agree with your first one. We allow the Burqa here because we ARE more liberal and accepting than many Muslim countries. I fundamentally disagree with the stance that Denmark have taken and it's definitely not liberal.

But what I'd really like to understand is if you feel that speech should be kept free but dress code not? If you are for both freedoms then all you seem to be complaining about is Muslims being annoyed about a clearly ignorant statement about them and those on the political side opposite to Boris debating with him over his language.

I’m not complaining about Muslims at all, some, but not all, are understandingly upset at Boris’ tactless comments. I have no issues with religious attire, whether it be burqa’s or shtreimels. What I do find strange is the instant outrage, venom and bile of those on the left who never miss an opportunity to claim the moral high ground.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Are we to ban any form of mask, motorcycle helmets, balaclavas and anything else that has ever been used to conceal identity for criminal intent too?

Fairly sure all these are banned in many places. Banks spring immediately to mind.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I’m not complaining about Muslims at all, some, but not all, are understandingly upset at Boris’ tactless comments. I have no issues with religious attire, whether it be burqa’s or shtreimels. What I do find strange is the instant outrage, venom and bile of those on the left who never miss an opportunity to claim the moral high ground.
I agree and unfortunately, as always these days, too many people choose to get offended on behalf of others. I have asked several Muslim people I know what they thought of the 'Letterbox' comment and they both thought it was funny, as did I. If people are outraged because of that then get over it and deal with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You Joke.....However A lot of old people are indeed scared by the aggressive sometimes threatening behaviour of trick or treaters in masks.

You make a fair point, I don't disagree - Importantly though, any clamour to ban trick or treaters would be met with howls of derision and the words 'pc gone mad' and/or 'health and safety nutters'. Wearing a mask for trick or treat = Great fun, wearing a burka = sinister and intimidating.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He has, constant attention seeking. He has to do something now he is no longer in the cabinet

Personally I wouldn't rule him out as Tory leader, he appeals to a lot of the Tory membership in middle England.

I’m sometimes Tory and I can tell you I positively loath the man, have done for a long time. Shameless and sociopathic (you don’t have to be mad and carry an axe to be one as most people believe from popular culture: typically Corporate Board members are, something like a third of all CEOs exibit such traits)

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fairly sure all these are banned in many places. Banks spring immediately to mind.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think there are any actual laws covering it (just banks setting rules on their own property rather than being backed by any legislation).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Maybe we can outlaw tights while we're at it just in case someone somewhere might pull them over their head to rob a bank? ???

Think places that value their security over political correctness already do,so don't be silly.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Er. See if you can spot the difference.

Oh, massive difference, hold the front page. Who gives a f*ck? Most of the people up in arms have probably never met anyone in a burqa in their entire lives.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Very amusing.Did the clown have a machete down his trousers,like the Manchester robbers did?

You do understand that the word "armed" means he was, well, armed, don't you? Should we ban clowns and pants? Is Gazza dangerous for promoting false breasts (you could take a straw poll with your ex-pro drinking buddies with that one maybe)?

Also were the Manchester robbers wearing trousers or a burqa? Can you make your mind up which it is? Or are you just talking about another robbery now? Should we ban trousers?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

People on the left like Eric Pickles who said Boris was "closing down" the debate with his "illiberal language"?

Like Ruth Davidson who called them "gratuitously offensive"?

Like Dominic Grieve who said he'd quite the Tories if Johnson became leader "because I don't regard him as a fit and proper person to lead a political party".

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

The difference is she hasn't mocked burqa wearers, just voiced an opinion that she has reservations over them. She hasn't said she doesn't like them because they look like bank robbing post boxes.

It's not that Johnson is pro or anti burqa, a valid debate BTW. It's the manner and wording he has used, and the intention behind the wording, from someone who wants to lead the country.

I don't really understand why some are finding it hard to differentiate between the two :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The difference is she hasn't mocked burqa wearers, just voiced an opinion that she has reservations over them. She hasn't said she doesn't like them because they look like bank robbing post boxes.

It's not that Johnson is pro or anti burqa, a valid debate BTW. It's the manner and wording he has used, and the intention behind the wording, from someone who wants to lead the country.

I don't really understand why some are finding it hard to differentiate between the two :shrug:

I think it's because they are stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here