Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will you #DeleteFacebook?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Nope. It all depend on how you use it. For me it's a fun way to keep up with friends. Pretty sure anyone on the net who wants my data will already have it, that horse has well and truly bolted.

I agree, I am in contact with far flung friends on FB with whom I would otherwise have lost touch. I only use it for what it was intended...a social network. I steer clear of political posts and groups, and never touch those click-bait quizzes, etc.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I gave up on Facebook last summer. I know my friends are not really insecure narcissists but they certainly come across that way on Facebook. I imagine I did too.

My problem with it is that it doesn't replicate or represent the way that actual friendships work, and yet it gradually becomes the main platform for a lot of friendships. There's a very good Zadie Smith essay about it in her new book. People end up squeezing and reducing their personalities to fit the Facebook template and it leaves out most of the good stuff. (She puts it far more eloquently.)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree, I am in contact with far flung friends on FB with whom I would otherwise have lost touch. I only use it for what it was intended...a social network. I steer clear of political posts and groups, and never touch those click-bait quizzes, etc.

I agree. I belong to several ex Naval groups, and managed to find friends I haven't seen for 50 years, news of others, with reunions being organised.
Friends Reunited started off the trend, but Facebook went further. Like anything else, it's not the tool but how you use it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I've just been on there supporting friends in Poland's "Black Friday" protest today against tightening abortion laws..........don't think the fascists are going to be targeting me for support.

Funny that.I keep on getting Labour Party,national and local,propaganda.They obviously don't realise I'm taking the p***!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Facebook is crap. Every time I have put up a post that is offensive it has been deleted and taken down. You can just be rude on here and as I only had 9 friends on Facebook, pointless or crass posts like this one by me are seen by more folk on NSC.

Just going to have a large expresso and a brunch bar....... yummy.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I gave up on Facebook last summer. I know my friends are not really insecure narcissists but they certainly come across that way on Facebook. I imagine I did too.

Exactly why I deleted Instagram after a brief spell of use. Couldn't tell who my friends were trying to convince more that their lives were brilliant; me or themselves. Anyway here's a picture of my lunch:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have to use Facebook as the only realistic way I can keep track if various Open water swimming venues are open. I've greatly improved the experience by doing the following :

- Muted anyone (always Women) sharing stuff like 'Mums are the real Super Heros! Share if you agree! or 'No-one knows how tough life can be. Be nice'
- Muted anyone banging on about politics all the time left or right.
- Muted anyone who tells me what they are having for tea, when they last had a dump, what Floss they are using or any other info I really couldn't care less about.

The only problem is there isn't much left to look at.

My Twitter feed is greatly enhanced by muting the words, BHAWFC, Trump, Brexit and X-factor

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://newsthump.com/2018/03/22/im-not-on-facebook-the-new-im-a-vegan/

A man who has ‘deleted’ his Facebook account seems to be under the impression that everyone is interested in that fact.

Simon Williams, 35, claims he was disgusted by the awful way Facebook has treated his personal information, and as such has decided to leave the platform in as loud a manner as possible.

He told us, “I’m telling everyone I meet that I’ve left Facebook, even the postman, but very few people seem that interested. What I really need is a good way to get the message out, to a lot of the people I know, and very quickly.

“It’s been hard, because the obvious place to tell everyone you’ve left Facebook, is on Facebook. But you can’t use Facebook to announce you’ve left Facebook.

“I did the whole ‘I’m leaving Facebook’ before I left Facebook, but I can’t check how many people have seen or commented because I’ve now left Facebook.”

Facebook are said to be ‘unconcerned’ by the threat of users leaving the platform, explaining the risk was ‘very low’.

When told of Williams leaving Facebook, the social network’s executive in charge of retention, Chuck Matthews, told us, “We love that he’s ‘deleted’ his account, that’s just so cute.

“I get that it’s kinda trendy to not be on Facebook today, so more power to them. But it’s actually kind of funny that he genuinely thinks this means all his information is no longer on our servers.

“Trust me, every last thing he’s ever done on our network is all there waiting for him whenever he wants to reactivate this account.

“And he will. They always do.”

:lolol:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
http://newsthump.com/2018/03/22/im-not-on-facebook-the-new-im-a-vegan/

A man who has ‘deleted’ his Facebook account seems to be under the impression that everyone is interested in that fact.

Simon Williams, 35, claims he was disgusted by the awful way Facebook has treated his personal information, and as such has decided to leave the platform in as loud a manner as possible.

He told us, “I’m telling everyone I meet that I’ve left Facebook, even the postman, but very few people seem that interested. What I really need is a good way to get the message out, to a lot of the people I know, and very quickly.

“It’s been hard, because the obvious place to tell everyone you’ve left Facebook, is on Facebook. But you can’t use Facebook to announce you’ve left Facebook.

“I did the whole ‘I’m leaving Facebook’ before I left Facebook, but I can’t check how many people have seen or commented because I’ve now left Facebook.”

Facebook are said to be ‘unconcerned’ by the threat of users leaving the platform, explaining the risk was ‘very low’.

When told of Williams leaving Facebook, the social network’s executive in charge of retention, Chuck Matthews, told us, “We love that he’s ‘deleted’ his account, that’s just so cute.

“I get that it’s kinda trendy to not be on Facebook today, so more power to them. But it’s actually kind of funny that he genuinely thinks this means all his information is no longer on our servers.

“Trust me, every last thing he’s ever done on our network is all there waiting for him whenever he wants to reactivate this account.

“And he will. They always do.”

:lolol:

It's funny because every last word is spot on.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I've been off Facebook for about 5 years now. Similar to [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION], it got to the stage where I'd muted so many people there was just no point being on there anymore.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's kids born after Facebook was born whose entire life history of snapshots is held on Facebook, instead of in a family album somewhere. Such families rely almost entirely on Facebook for visual proof of their existence. Can quite see how Facebook need to turn a very serious profit to host all this friends and family stuff that we take entirely for granted.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Never had any kind of social media account whatsoever.

The term 'social media' actually makes me uptight. Hate it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Face what?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here