Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will you #DeleteFacebook?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there's a fair and obvious distinction between forums like NSC and what I would refer to as 'social media' with the whole this is my real name, this is my family, these are my friends here are photos of all of us, this is a photo of me in the club where I'll always be on Thursday evening etc, etc.

That can be set on Privacy to Friends only or even Only me. You cannot view my photographs or posts unless I add you as a friend.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
yep, am in the process of doing it now.
am just waiting to download my archive from there, (photos basically), then i'm off.

Is partly due to a wake up call from recent events, but also as mentioned before, I've pretty much unfollowed all my 'friends' on there already, so is pretty dull on the odd occasion I do actually log in

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
That can be set on Privacy to Friends only or even Only me. You cannot view my photographs or posts unless I add you as a friend.

Despite never having been a user I am aware of this.

My negative attitude to Facebook and the like is not directly aimed at the sites as such, more the concept of living your life in full public view of the internet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Despite never having been a user I am aware of this.

My negative attitude to Facebook and the like is not directly aimed at the sites as such, more the concept of living your life in full public view of the internet.

People are more likely to know when I'm out of the house on Nsc, than they are on Facebook. We aren't that anonymous on Nsc.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
People are more likely to know when I'm out of the house on Nsc, than they are on Facebook. We aren't that anonymous on Nsc.

Well anyone who wants to rob me is welcome to try every house in Rutland if they like. :thumbsup:

It may be the smallest county, but it's still quite a big ask. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well anyone who wants to rob me is welcome to try every house in Rutland if they like. :thumbsup:

It may be the smallest county, but it's still quite a big ask. :lolol:

I knew someone who was born in Rutland. His father was a vicar with two parishes nicknamed Egg & Ham.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I knew someone who was born in Rutland. His father was a vicar with two parishes nicknamed Egg & Ham.

This is a new one on me, but yes there is Egleton and a few Parishes that end in 'Ham'.

I won't say anymore though as I sense this is the beginning of a dastardly plan that ends with me revealing my house number and you making off with my guitars and drumkit! :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is a new one on me, but yes there is Egleton and a few Parishes that end in 'Ham'.

I won't say anymore though as I sense this is the beginning of a dastardly plan that ends with me revealing my house number and you making off with my guitars and drumkit! :lolol:

:lolol: Don't worry, I'm no musician.

After reading a post on here telling me how to download the date they hold for me I actually did it. Nothing too contentious but I am now puzzling over a brief video clip taken at the Amex, successful Albion penalty against a team in yellow shirts and black shorts at the North Stand goal. Any ideas?

...And I have no intention of deleting Facebook.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Can't delete what I've never been part of. Never will either. Just do not get it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I deleted facebook before it was cool. [/hipster] Found myself annoyed by old school friends that I wanted nothing to do with, who wanted nothing to do with me at school suddenly sending friend requests like facebook was some pokemon game, where self-value came from number of friends rather than quality.

What tipped me over the edge and led to me deleting my account was when it changed it's timeline, probably back in 2006/7 and word at the time was that in doing so everything would be made public, even historical things that was shared with one or two friends, would now be seen by everyone. I didn't like that idea so I shut it down.

There is an element of 'if you don't want it shared, don't share it' but it seems to miss the part about how they were able to find out information about friends - people who may not have agreed to share their info. I'm also reluctant to give other apps access to things like my twitter app, because of reports of apps tweeting things automatically.

But honestly, facebook is too big a part of too many peoples lives for this campaign to have too big or too lasting an effect.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a very vague memory of registering with something to track someone down, but deleted soon after. Could have been facebook, can't remember. That was at least 10 years ago.

It's like supermarket loyalty cards.

You are the product. You are effectively undertaken extensive market research about yourself for a company and if they are paying you it's a few pence.

I'd be quite happy to sign up if they paid me the going rate.

I do have a linkedin account, but it's effectively anonymous and I'm not in any network.

I do often enjoy looking people up I used to work lying about what they did.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Run a rather irritatingly useful page for the events company I run. Only way to show displeasure/ hurt them is stop advertising - so I have. Mind you I also withdrew my products from the Daily Mail and they seemed to survive that blow.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

That element of facebook is quite interesting. Used to work with someone who called a "sickie", but via facebook people were able to see they were partaking in undisclosed hospitality in a very posh hotel.

They were "deleted" from the staff list soon after.

I don't have any expertise in security, but I did a Masters in Computer Science where I was lectured by people who very much did. One lecturer in particular (who has also worked for some very well known technology companies) refused to even have an online bank account at the time.

Don't post your birthday on a forum, when you register change it. Don't play some word game that reveals your Mother's maiden game.

Don't say WHEN you are going in holiday etc...

Simple stuff but then some people quite literally play their lives out online. Someone I went to school with came into the office one day, I saw her in reception. I managed to catch up with her later, but in the meantime I googled her name.

When we spoke she didn't have to tell me what she had done in the interim, I'd read it all online.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Nobody using it can be surprised that data was shared or used in some form ?? Suspect most don't give a hoot

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I won't be deleting it simply because I've never been daft enough to join it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nobody using it can be surprised that data was shared or used in some form ?? Suspect most don't give a hoot

I suspect most people do, but not quite in the way they thought it was.

It reminds me of a loyalty card scandal a few years ago. Ok you know the company are tracking you, trying to get money out of you and every now and then you probably benefit.

However, the company in question (who had the data) were going much further in their analysis, inferring what psychological problems you had, possibly predicting what crimes you may commit.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I won't be deleting it simply because I've never been daft enough to join it.

Likewise. Every current 'Social media' network at present is generally working on a data harvesting principle. Maybe this will drive a new way forward ??

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Can't be too many other sites that let half the Western world post 35 photos of their Saturday night piss-up and charge them no money all for the privilege. Hardly a sustainable business model unless through advertising and/or the selling on of data. It's free to members for a very good reason.

Is it faux outrage or are people really that naive? A man became one of the richest men in the world by just offering a free website. How else do people think he was turning a profit?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
This whole Facebook story is not even news. Been going on all over the web for years. Facebook are just trying to be relevant with these "shocking revelations" as they are becoming less relevant in the marketplace. They've become a social Yellow Pages for people, its not really used for much else and has lost its place as social media kingpin. Most kids don't even bother with it, they use other apps to keep in touch, message etc. #Desperate.

A couple of years ago I asked my then 13 year daughter ‘if anyone of her peers used Facebook?’

She laughed and replied ‘no’.

I laughed whilst wearing my shell suit, putting a CD into my CD player and feeding my tamagotchi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here