[Technology] Will you #DeleteFacebook?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Never had any kind of social media account whatsoever.

The term 'social media' actually makes me uptight. Hate it.
Ironic you posting this on a social media website! What exactly do you think NSC is if it isn’t social media?!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I won't be deleting my Facebook. The General Data Protection Regulations come in on 25th May 2018 and they should be a game changer for how personal data is stored, used and deleted.

Hopefully, politicians and bureaucrats will take it seriously and prosecute those who flout the new rules.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
thats your location. yeh, they'll know where you are, nature of the technology. not really your personal data. what marketeers are doing with data is a bit overstated, so they can sell services. if worried about the level of intrusion, turn off phone when not using it.

It depends on how you define "personal data"

If a data mining firm is able to find out that at a certain time I walked into a brothel, and then an hour later left the brothel. They can be sure I was in the brothel, but not able to know what I was doing. Is that personal enough? Or is that still classified as metadata, or big data?!?

I don't have an issue fundamentally with the metadata of my location being harvested by company's and then that being sold to advertisers. It's the lack of understanding of what else that data is being used/misused for that worries me, and in the case of Facebook a prime example of that happening.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Ironic you posting this on a social media website! What exactly do you think NSC is if it isn’t social media?!!

I think there's a fair and obvious distinction between forums like NSC and what I would refer to as 'social media' with the whole this is my real name, this is my family, these are my friends here are photos of all of us, this is a photo of me in the club where I'll always be on Thursday evening etc, etc.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's a bit pointless deleting Facebook when your smartphone is collecting data about where you are, what you're doing blah blah........So no.

That's not true. I don't know about Apple, but Google lets to control your data to a far greater extent than what Facebook does. You can easily see what data they hold on you, easily delete it in seconds and easily decide what data you want them to collect about you in the future.

Facebook is the complete opposite. Their privacy settings are a mess and not all in one place, making it difficult for people know how it's set up. They have removed certain privacy settings that were previously available. If you want to delete all you data, there's no easy way to do this, apart from deleting your account (which is not an instantaneous process) - if you don't want to delete your account, you have to go through every old status etc and set it to private or delete it individually. Facebook make everything as hard for you as possible, and their friend and group suggestions are quite frankly weird. They want to force you to use Messenger so they can get even more of your data and that of your friends - if you load up FB on your phone, it directs you to messenger to access your messages. You can read them by setting your phone's browser to 'desktop mode', but then they have made it so it's impossible to directly type new messages (you can get around it by copying and pasting text into there). I could go on. There are so, so many problems with FB.

I have no problem using Google. I have a big problem using FB - and have had lots of issues with them for many years. A few years ago I deleted my old account, created a new account and set everything they allowed me to to private, and just use my new account for messages only.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't be too many other sites that let half the Western world post 35 photos of their Saturday night piss-up and charge them no money all for the privilege. Hardly a sustainable business model unless through advertising and/or the selling on of data. It's free to members for a very good reason.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Basically this thread has boiled down to those that fully understand what can be done with data harvesting and those that don't and also those that just don't care either way.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If you've ever used a free wifi where you have to tick 'I agree to the terms & conditions' you're ****ed from a personal data standpoint, so no point really.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
This whole Facebook story is not even news. Been going on all over the web for years. Facebook are just trying to be relevant with these "shocking revelations" as they are becoming less relevant in the marketplace. They've become a social Yellow Pages for people, its not really used for much else and has lost its place as social media kingpin. Most kids don't even bother with it, they use other apps to keep in touch, message etc. #Desperate.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've been off Facebook for about 5 years now. Similar to [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION], it got to the stage where I'd muted so many people there was just no point being on there anymore.

Is really the right answer. My wife is fed up with me asking how you unfollow people on there. She asks why I accepted them as friends in the first place if I didn’t want to here about their ‘things’

Well, you don’t like to be rude do you .

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Wow! First world problems. My phone takes calls and texts..pretty bloody effective when you need to contact another human. Am I missing out? Fbook is handy for pm's with mates abroad but I'd never dream of having it on my phone.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I already did several months ago precisely for the reason that has now come to the top, and indeed for a variety of other potential and obvious problems !

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
When It comes to info I go into full bullshit mode, had a webmaster ask why I clicked female on profile, I said force of habit from FB.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here