Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Role call for Hong Kong away

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Managed to catch the Leicester game on here and we looked good. If we beat Cagliari tomorrow what happens next?
I had a look at the rules earlier and the standard "everyone has a good go" applies. Win and we are in the semis, lose and we are in the semis for the Shield (or plate, can't remember). The bottom two in the group are in the plate (or shield) quarter finals.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't know if there is a betting market on this but if so, I would suggest a 'modest stakes' bet on Kashima Antlers. They're from Japan and look like a good team - with emphasis on 'team'. They weren't fancied at all and won all their games - including West Ham 3-0. Could go far. I noticed a HKJC betting shop on the way back and I may go in for a small tickle.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Difficult to say if that was a decent result or not. HK looked decent but we had several chances. Leicester look a very big side and mainly called Joshua.

There was a funny incident during the Leicester game. A kid with a Leicester shirt on shouted 'get it Josh' at the top of his voice. I don't think it was heard or else half the Leicester team might have stopped playing. Well, I thought it was funny.....

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
By far the better team but lost 3-1. Cagliari sat back for much of it, and fluked a deflection for 2-1 straight after we'd equalised.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't know if there is a betting market on this but if so, I would suggest a 'modest stakes' bet on Kashima Antlers. They're from Japan and look like a good team - with emphasis on 'team'. They weren't fancied at all and won all their games - including West Ham 3-0. Could go far. I noticed a HKJC betting shop on the way back and I may go in for a small tickle.

I hope nobody found a market for this. Kashima were beaten by Newcastle on pens (after 4 extra minutes of sudden death, with 4 a side)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
By far the better team but lost 3-1. Cagliari sat back for much of it, and fluked a deflection for 2-1 straight after we'd equalised.

First half we shot past the keeper but it hit the inside of the post and bounced back into his arms. After that he made save after save.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
0-1 HT. West Ham taking the piss with their keeper in our half at times. We look tired.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
0-3. Sanchez thinks he is Messi and is dispossessed on the edge of their box. Think we want to go home.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It seems that chasing the game against Cagliari cost us a lot. We were nowhere near our levels either yesterday or earlier this morning. Still, it's good experience of the two phases of tournament play. Yesterday, in the league, we really looked quite composed and focused. Today, as soon as we went behind, we were chasing everything. In this heat it soon gets to you. I was sweating buckets in the stand and sitting, so you can only imagine what the boys were going through. Also, after the first game, they seemed genuinely very disappointed - so maybe there was a mental edge too. As I said though, all good experience and character building.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It seems that chasing the game against Cagliari cost us a lot. We were nowhere near our levels either yesterday or earlier this morning. Still, it's good experience of the two phases of tournament play. Yesterday, in the league, we really looked quite composed and focused. Today, as soon as we went behind, we were chasing everything. In this heat it soon gets to you. I was sweating buckets in the stand and sitting, so you can only imagine what the boys were going through. Also, after the first game, they seemed genuinely very disappointed - so maybe there was a mental edge too. As I said though, all good experience and character building.
I agree with all of this, stifling conditions to play football in with a lack of any kind of breeze. We also lack the experience of 7s tactics.

On a side note, it was nice to see a lot of Chinese wearing Brighton shirts. I got chatting to a few and most of them had been to Sussex university.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Also, it was not coincidental that our best performance (against Leicester) was played at 7pm with the sun gone and noticeably less hot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here