Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Oculus Rift

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Have I passed the bit where BG enters the thread with

I do not know what this is however I have an opinion which I wish to share and use to provoke a discussion?

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
My partner uses a Rift as part of her psychology research (the massive benefit being she can expose the people being tested to precisely the same scenarios as each other in as close as current technology allows to a real situation). While her applications are somewhat clunky (the funding available to academics researching the mental health effects of child abuse being somewhat lower than that available to games coders), the free tester programmes that are provided by the games companies just knock my socks off. They’re not absolutely perfect (yet), but they’re pretty damn impressive.

We're supposed to be using these in the near future for some Mental health presentations - graded exposure etc. It'll interesting to see the outcomes especially for those with psychosis..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Is this the new Tom Cruise movie ?

Glad you've said that. I thought Oculus Rift was the good robot in the Transformers.

Edit: should probably have read the whole thread first...doh.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
It's not directly comparable to the Oculus Rift, but I got the PlayStation VR headset just before Christmas and I haven't found any games that take really good advantage of it yet, so it still feels a bit "expensive novelty" to me. That said, I don't regret buying it at all: some of the novelty games / mini-games / demos that I've played are really good fun, the sense of immersion is way better than I expected, and I'm sure the games will come.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the FPS genre so it's possible that it's good for those games and I just haven't tried them yet.

Also, I haven't dared to play Resident Evil 7 in VR because I suspect it could give me an actual heart attack.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Glad you've said that. I thought Oculus Rift was the good robot in the Transformers.

Edit: should probably have read the whole thread first...doh.

I don't understand anything on this thread. I think I'll just ask Alexa later.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's an Air-Guitar attachment

(I'm down with the kids)

Well then its a nonsense. How can an air guitar have an attachment ? That, by definition, means it is patently NOT an air guitar.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Will it work with my new 'PC'?

View attachment 95407

Pfft, we had one of these

amstardcpc6128.png

#FlashingTheCash

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
..... but, I'm VERY attached to my air guitar :(

:rock: :laugh:

I went through quite a phase with Guitar Hero a while back, and got pretty good at it. I could absolutely nail Sweet Child O' Mine on HARD (but not on expert - that was just ridiculous).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
thankfully this is one vice i am not hooked up with , gaming on the whole leaves me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz , thank **** i spend 14 hours away out in the fresh air .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pfft, we had one of these

amstardcpc6128.png

#FlashingTheCash

That's not a keybord. Its a shoe box, cut in half, with a keyboard painted on it.

I bet it worked a treat :lolol:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
..... but, I'm VERY attached to my air guitar :(

:rock: :laugh:

Reminds me of a thing Reeves and Mortimer did.

I think it was Vic asked Bob what he'd been up to, to which the reply came "I've been learning to play guitar".

Vic asked to hear him play.

Bob proceeded to play air guitar while vocalising a tune.

Vic replied "That's easy anyone can do it".

Accepting Bob's challenge to give it a go Vic proceeded to play air guitar while vocalising an out of tune racket and conceded it was harder than it looks.

:lolol:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I don't understand anything on this thread. I think I'll just ask Alexa later.

I also have a serious lack of nous on all this Optimus Prime Guff. Where is BG when you need to railroad a thread to the best roast in Portland Road.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I bought a rift to play Elite Dangerous, (Space sim/trading/combat game).

The experience is awsome, the immersion intense.
Regrettably, I'm one of the people who are sensitive to motion sickness, and I can only stand to be in VR for an hour or so at a time.

The HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift are broadly equivalent in terms of quality, and both are currently top of the heap.

Having said that, they are also very much first generation technology, and you accept poor graphics quality, and some artifacting as an exchange for the immersion and wow factor. Also, the wires are annoying, but as I understand it, wireless headsets cannot cope with the huge lagless bandwidth requirements for the video to each eye.

There are many demos which do push the boundaries of what is possible, but fewer actual games which take advantage of the unique possibilities of VR.
(Google Earth in 3D is absolutely stunning).

As the technology matures, I would expect to see higher resolution video, wireless headsets, and more content which capitalises on the unique capabilities of VR.
I don't think this is coming anytime soon though, so it's probably not worth waiting for the next generation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here