Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Grammar Police - Question

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
It's incorrect. You can only have one contraction, which would be created by joining two words.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Whatever someone has to say or in this case type, does it matter as long as readers can understand it's meaning?

If someone doesn't understand they can always ask for clarification.

Some people didn't receive a great education or they have a disability, such as dyslexia. It's not the end of the world if someone's grammar is incorrect for me...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whatever someone has to say or in this case type, does it matter as long as readers can understand it's meaning?

If someone doesn't understand they can always ask for clarification.

Some people didn't receive a great education or they have a disability, such as dyslexia. It's not the end of the world if someone's grammar is incorrect for me...

its meaning.

And, by the way, this thread should've been addressed to the punctuation police rather than the grammar police.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
its meaning.

And, by the way, this thread should've been addressed to the punctuation police rather than the grammar police.

I'm ok with it, if I understand what someone means to say......

The punctuation police do understand or they would not be able to correct it. Language evolves over time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would you be a bit of a dick if you called it a fo'skin, at least it's only shortened by a single contraction?

Must rush - need to man the fo'c's'le

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's incorrect. You can only have one contraction, which would be created by joining two words.

Source? I'm not certain there is a right or wrong answer, I'd argue that it depends on the target audience to an extent and whilst it's probably technically ok to join 3 words with 2 apostrophes it is probably not best practise in most cases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here