Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... Does Russian World Cup 2018 equate to Hitler's 1936 Olympics?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Johnson is a fool and an embarrassment. This all smacks of "I'll get my Dad onto you" and has been a fecking circus from the start.

Of course, this splendid grandstanding is wonderful for a groundswell of public support for incumbent (entrenched) rulers. Mrs May must secretly be loving it.

The Russians are loving it- and were probably behind it. Although a twist wouldn't be unbecoming of what would make a good Netflix drama. Or comedy.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's me thinking he agreed with a comparison made by someone else.

Yes, absolutely, he did. But it does worry me that he agreed so readily. It's the usual Boris 'oh, this could be a funny thing to say, a good sound bite'... I do think he could have disagreed with the MP's precise words, and got his point across in a more statesmanlike way.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
But surely that's part of the point that was being made. Putin, or at least the Russian authorities are quite happy to endorse Russian hooligans a bit like Hitlers SS, to quell any unease.
Personally I think anyone thinking of going to Russia for the World Cup wants their brain checking - it's going to end in tears, probably both on and off the pitch!

I dont see there being any trouble from the Russian hooligans in Russia. Anyone that puts a stain on the tournament who is Russian will not be seeing the light of day for a very long time... Now other countries hooligans it will remain to be seen how they are dealt with.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

Yeah - but how many did Stalin kill of his own people? Worse than anyone in history.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

How many of there own were sent to the Siberian Labour camps never to be seen again under Stalin. Think that was millions as well

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I was just merely simply pointing out what offence and anger ordinary Russian people will take to a comparison with Hitler. The Kremlin media spin machine won't have to do much work with those comments. It wasn't about taking sides or having a lesson in Russian history.

I agree. My wife is from the Ukraine, no fan of Putin, no fan of their invasion of Crimea [or of Eastern Ukraine], no fan of the Russian elite, and she is horrified that Hitler has been mentioned in comparison to Putin/Russia. "well, that comment about Hitler has crossed a line, and that's the vast majority of Russian people lined up firmly behind Putin for the long-haul then" she observed to me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Loads more but I guess the Russians were the good guys huh?..:whistle:

NOBODY has said that the Russians are good guys. Don't twist things. Likewise nobody has said that you are the second coming of Jesus Christ. You have a habit of writing shit and I am happy to announce that, after a couple of years of pontification, I am going to block you. Ta ra.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I agree. My wife is from the Ukraine, no fan of Putin, no fan of their invasion of Crimea [or of Eastern Ukraine], no fan of the Russian elite, and she is horrified that Hitler has been mentioned in comparison to Putin/Russia. "well, that comment about Hitler has crossed a line, and that's the vast majority of Russian people lined up firmly behind Putin for the long-haul then" she observed to me.

Conveniently.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Here's Juncker getting his tummy tickled. :rant:

junkers.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, I was just pointing it out to you, on a football chat board, as you seemed to be taking a particularly one sided pro-Russians point of view, pointing out the faults of their opponents only. I doubt very much whether Putin reads NSC, and I'm not a Foreign Secretary or a diplomat, OK.

No he isn't. Really, he isn't. No need to invent imaginary antagonisms. We are, I suspect in the same tent, here..... and Putin is outside, pissing in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Quite. What will Boris do next I wonder? Tell Trump that New England is rightfully ours (it's in the name, you stupid ginger-bewigged rapist) ? That will go down well in the Irish bars of Boston :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yeah - but how many did Stalin kill of his own people? Worse than anyone in history.

How many of there own were sent to the Siberian Labour camps never to be seen again under Stalin. Think that was millions as well

Yes - I agree, it was terrible, but as has been pointed out that doesn't cut much mustard with ordinary Russian people today when comparisons are made with them and the name 'Hitler'.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Bit of a stupid comparison tbh. The Russians will use it as a propaganda exercise but this is nothing compared to 1936. It should also be remembered that Boris, a stalwart fighter for democracy, spent £320,000 for three watercannons to be used on the streets of London BEFORE he found out it was illegal to use them !

But why was it illegal when they could be used in other 'British' cities.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I dont see there being any trouble from the Russian hooligans in Russia. Anyone that puts a stain on the tournament who is Russian will not be seeing the light of day for a very long time... Now other countries hooligans it will remain to be seen how they are dealt with.

Russian hooligan (sorry innocent fan) retaliation will be greeted with applause

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Here's Juncker getting his tummy tickled. :rant:

I heard earlier that Putin has spoken to the Greek PM, who offered his congratulations, and 2 other heads of state of EU countries today too prior to today's summit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here