Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So... Does Russian World Cup 2018 equate to Hitler's 1936 Olympics?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in spirit, Boris (and the others he was agreeing with) has a point, they'll use the tournament to project how lovely they are. but Putin is no Hitler and making such a comparison is provocative, more so from the Foreign Secretary than an MP. its disappointing that Boris couldn't find a less antagonistic reference from antiquity.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
in spirit, Boris (and the others he was agreeing with) has a point, they'll use the tournament to project how lovely they are. but Putin is no Hitler and making such a comparison is provocative, more so from the Foreign Secretary than an MP. its disappointing that Boris couldn't find a less antagonistic reference from antiquity.

100% this.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
People should remember where we're playing our first game against Tunisia to see what huge and justifiable offence remarks like this will cause to the Russian people, without The Kremlin's media outlets going into overdrive.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't think I've ever agreed with Boris Johnson about anything. He doesn't even agree with himself half the time. A loathsome boil on the arse of politics and an utter embarrassment to this country every time he opens his fat mouth.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
People should remember where we're playing our first game against Tunisia to see what huge and justifiable offence remarks like this will cause to the Russian people, without The Kremlin's media outlets going into overdrive.

But surely that's part of the point that was being made. Putin, or at least the Russian authorities are quite happy to endorse Russian hooligans a bit like Hitlers SS, to quell any unease.
Personally I think anyone thinking of going to Russia for the World Cup wants their brain checking - it's going to end in tears, probably both on and off the pitch!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But surely that's part of the point that was being made. Putin, or at least the Russian authorities are quite happy to endorse Russian hooligans a bit like Hitlers SS, to quell any unease.
Personally I think anyone thinking of going to Russia for the World Cup wants their brain checking - it's going to end in tears, probably both on and off the pitch!

26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

I would have thought that would be more like the SA in 1936 (but then I'm no expert)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
- Johnson probably went too far in publically saying this.

- There is a underlying point there of course, and a grain of truth, with Putin already redrawing European borders in Ukraine.

- We'll know with more clarity after the World Cup is over - if Putin then 'rolls his tanks' into the Baltics, Ukraine or even Bosnia.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
- Johnson probably went too far in publically saying this.

- There is a underlying point there of course, and a grain of truth, with Putin already redrawing European borders in Ukraine.

- We'll know with more clarity after the World Cup is over - if Putin then 'rolls his tanks' into the Baltics, Ukraine or even Bosnia.

The 1980 Moscow Olympics and the prior invasion of Afghanistan would have been a better choice of words - you don't compare Russians to Hitler.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
In 1941, to implement Stalin's scorched earth policy, destruction battalions were formed in the western regions of the Soviet Union. In Estonia, they killed thousands of people including a large proportion of women and children, while burning down dozens of villages, schools and public buildings.

Katyn 1943.

440px-Katyn_massacre_1.jpg

Loads more but I guess the Russians were the good guys huh?..:whistle:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think what it shows more than anything is that for all his ridiculous spiel Boris Johnson's reference pools are actually quite shallow. A bit like how journalists always refer to the same things when comparing stuff ("bigger than the Beatles", "twelve Olympic swimming pools", "nearly the size of Wales", "the new Pele" etc.). He basically can't think of another sporting event which had connections to dodgy regimes so immediately defaulted to Hitler. Which is a terrible comparison.

For example, Hitler's Germany was not playing host to major events every year (such as F1 Grand Prix) or had hosted a major international event four years earlier (like the Sochi Winter Olympics).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
26 million Soviets died in WW2 for Mother Russia - using Hitler and The Berlin Olympics as a comparison to Putin and this world cup is crass and only going to cause great offence, not just to The Kremlin, but to ordinary Russian people. WW2 is the yardstick of their psyche.

The Russians killed millions of their own too, both before and after the war. Repatriated POWs were gunned down on arrival, for example.

Comparable to the Berlin Olympics - not quite, perhaps, but....................

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Russians killed millions of their own too, both before and after the war. Repatriated POWs were gunned down on arrival, for example.

Comparable to the Berlin Olympics - not quite, perhaps, but....................

I'm not saying they didn't. Perhaps we should point that to them too though, as well as comparing Putin and The World Cup to Hitler and The Berlin Olympics - the more diplomatic offence caused by making references to World War 2 the better..:thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Boris is a ****ing idiot, just like all the other cretins in power, a lot of people are probably gonna die because the general public are ****ing sheep that do as we're told

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here