Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 4G Mobile Signal on London to Brighton Line

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
I'm on three and don't get signal at home so need to change network. I tried Vodafone because I get signal at home but can't stream video on my commute. Do any fellow commuters get good enough signal to stream video on Thameslink routes? If you do what network are you on? Thanks in advance!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Hi,

I go from Ifield to London Bridge everyday and im on EE, I get a signal pretty much the whole way except in the Merstham and Cousldon tunnels.

I have streamed TV before with no issues, except in that location.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm on three and don't get signal at home so need to change network. I tried Vodafone because I get signal at home but can't stream video on my commute. Do any fellow commuters get good enough signal to stream video on Thameslink routes? If you do what network are you on? Thanks in advance!

I'm on Vodafone and I don't even try it. The only stretches where you get decent 4G are Worthing to Hove, south of East Croydon and Norwood Junction to London Bridge. Hove to Redhill is pretty patchy and poor.

Since they've started running Thameslink trains on the west coastway service I use the Thameslink Wifi at times, but I think they cap the data you can use at any one time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Geoff Marshall will know - he's a GOD.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
I'm on Vodafone and I don't even try it. The only stretches where you get decent 4G are Worthing to Hove, south of East Croydon and Norwood Junction to London Bridge. Hove to Redhill is pretty patchy and poor.

Since they've started running Thameslink trains on the west coastway service I use the Thameslink Wifi at times, but I think they cap the data you can use at any one time.

Hi,

I go from Ifield to London Bridge everyday and im on EE, I get a signal pretty much the whole way except in the Merstham and Cousldon tunnels.

I have streamed TV before with no issues, except in that location.

Thanks, I'll try a PAYG sim and see how I get on.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I use 3 and typically have 4G most of the way from three bridges

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

O2 isn't too bad most of the way (use both phone and Ipad with different SIM cards). It's interrupted with the tunnels etc obviously but generally reasonable. Some of the Southern trains have wifi now but it's slower than 4G.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If your signal doesn't work at home call up 3 and they'll give you a free home signal box. You'll then have perfect signal at all times. 👍

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
using 3G as a guide (as it'll be betteer than 4G cover), obviously you have dead spots at the tunnels also a good half mile or so north of the Balcombe tunnel. signal very weak/dead just south of Wivelsfield too. network contention can lead to lost of service (even though showing full bars) at East Croydon and and Clapham Junction in the morning, not so much in evening.

tried downloading to watch?

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
If your signal doesn't work at home call up 3 and they'll give you a free home signal box. You'll then have perfect signal at all times. ��

using 3G as a guide (as it'll be betteer than 4G cover), obviously you have dead spots at the tunnels also a good half mile or so north of the Balcombe tunnel. signal very weak/dead just south of Wivelsfield too. network contention can lead to lost of service (even though showing full bars) at East Croydon and and Clapham Junction in the morning, not so much in evening.

tried downloading to watch?

I find the Vodafone sim shows full signal but won't stream, it must be network congestion like you mentioned. I'm trying to watch stuff from Dave and they won't let you download. Maybe I need to be less fussy and download iPlayer stuff.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Virgin Mobile do a 4G sim only for £9 a month, which uses the EE network. They did have an offer of 4GB a month, but it might have finished now.

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton

I'm on Three and can stream on the line pretty well... (I know you said you can't get a signal at home)

I had the same problem, for some reason my flat is just a dead spot. Three sent me a free signal booster which plugs into my router and it works really well (It's not a WiFi calling option) EE & Vodafone said they'd charge me for one and o2 said to just use their WiFi app which is why I went with Three.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm on o2 & commute that line. I have pretty good success with video but there are spots where you just jave to be patient & wait for your network connection

I take southern trains & a lot now have Wi-Fi

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here