Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England Cricket - Can we play the Aussies again please (as they’re easier)....

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
50+ year old man goes to watch a test match in a football shirt of a team on the other side of the world. Hard no from me.

Think it's possible some of the Barmy Army come from Brighton. Should get down there myself but going away for the weekend.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Amidst the carnage and recriminations we're seeing in the English press and social media about the display, I think credit needs to be given to Boult and Southee. There is an argument they actually represent the most formidable new ball partnership in world cricket right now IMHO, and especially in conditions like today. That they so comprehensively out-bowled Broad and Anderson is testament enough.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Amidst the carnage and recriminations we're seeing in the English press and social media about the display, I think credit needs to be given to Boult and Southee. There is an argument they actually represent the most formidable new ball partnership in world cricket right now IMHO, and especially in conditions like today. That they so comprehensively out-bowled Broad and Anderson is testament enough.

And Williamson is just below Steve Smith with a few others in the 'best batman in the world' stakes.

Still a complete shambles though. I wasn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater after the Ashes but there has to be a reaction from the players now.

Additionally I know you could argue horses for courses but I am beyond depressed that we haven't picked a proper quick and we are persisting with Moeen as our frontline spinner. Not that it matters if you get rolled over for a kids score tbf.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The thing is that the hammering by the Aussies was largely explained in terms of 'overseas conditions' i.e. our bowlers weren't suited to the wickets and our batsmen struggled against the relentless pace of the Aussie quicks. But hang on: today's display was against two very good but almost England-style bowlers on a wicket that was pretty benign. And this was the 4th (?) worst total in the history of English Test cricket.
Wow!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And Williamson is just below Steve Smith with a few others in the 'best batman in the world' stakes.

Still a complete shambles though. I wasn't throwing the baby out with the bathwater after the Ashes but there has to be a reaction from the players now.

Additionally I know you could argue horses for courses but I am beyond depressed that we haven't picked a proper quick and we are persisting with Moeen as our frontline spinner. Not that it matters if you get rolled over for a kids score tbf.

I agree on all points.

The really bizarre thing is these conditions aren't completely alien. I can sort of understand English batsmen struggling to cope with a ball spinning sideways in the sub-continent because they just don't get exposed to those conditions very often, but this was a ball swinging around. Tricky but not something they won't have seen every early summer in county cricket. And they have in their ranks one of the finest exponents of swing bowling in the history of cricket, surely he should be able to give them some tips? And more to the point, why couldn't he match their feats?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There’s not really many places where Test cricket is still really popular. Even in India it’s driven by T20 now. Real shame as they are 2 totally different games (it’s like 5-a-side v normal football).

Agreed. T20 isn't much more sophisticated than a game of rounders.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here we go then. Say we continue bottoming out in tests but win the World Cup in 2019 (which is realistic and arguably what Bayliss was brought in to sort out after the 2015 Moores fiasco.) Is that mission accomplished?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here