Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Any one been to Ypres?

theboybilly

I will be there on 11/11/18 at 11:00 - got my tissues ready for some serious blubbing! Our family lost 6 members in WW1.

We will be for the Centenary commemorations too. Staying a little outside Ypres this time as you can't get accomodation anywhere near now. There will be lots to see but I don't envisage getting too close to the Menin Gate. Ypres will be rammed that weekend obviously. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpeg
Many graveyards it's very moving and seeing the age and towns and countries all over the world the fallen came from very sad.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We will be for the Centenary commemorations too. Staying a little outside Ypres this time as you can't get accomodation anywhere near now. There will be lots to see but I don't envisage getting too close to the Menin Gate. Ypres will be rammed that weekend obviously. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.

We are doing Ypres for this but have had no intention of staying in it, where are you staying out of interest?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Its good to share

Thomas Barratt VC (5 May 1895 – 27 July 1917)

For most conspicuous bravery when as Scout to a patrol he worked his way towards the enemy line with the greatest gallantry and determination, in spite of continuous fire from hostile snipers at close range. These snipers he stalked and killed. Later his patrol was similarly held up, and again he disposed of the snipers. When during the subsequent withdrawal of the patrol it was observed that a party of the enemy were endeavouring to outflank them, Pte. Barratt at once volunteered to cover the retirement, and this he succeeded in accomplishing. His accurate shooting caused many casualties to the enemy, and prevented their advance. Throughout the enterprise he was under heavy machine gun and rifle fire, and his splendid example of coolness and daring was beyond all praise. After safely regaining our lines, this very gallant soldier was killed by a shell.

The London Gazette, No. 30272, 4 September 1917

theboybilly

We are doing Ypres for this but have had no intention of staying in it, where are you staying out of interest?

We're staying in a small town (Watou) just west of Poperinghe. We shall get taxis to and from Ypres so we can have a few lovely Belgian beers and soak up the atmosphere. I am really looking forward to it. My grandad served throughout the Great War eventually finishing his stint with the East Yorks before his unit was disbanded and joined with that of one from the W Yorks Rgt to become the 10th Entrenching Battalion which effectively provided men to fill gaps in units when they became underestablished through casualties. He made it through to live into his 70s. I wish I'd asked him about it but was far too young really

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Most of the cafe bars and bistros around the main square are pretty reasonable cost wise, if you like meat def give The Flemish Beef stew and frites a wizz,
There is a grouping of places at the eastern end of the cloth hall, all are pretty good and a good place to sit outside and watch the world go past

Spot on, pastafarian! My mate and I loved that Flemish Beef Stew and we didn't feel pressured into "moving on" when we'd finished. Very nice town to visit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
We are staying in Neuville-en-Ferrain,spending 5 days touring battlefields,museums and paying our deepest respects at the many cemetarys.

We are staying in Lille for a few days, apart for the big one on sunday at Ypres i think there are a few things going on on Saturday in the area as well

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Took two coachloads of schoolkids to Ypres many years ago. My best memory is walking into cholcolate shop on the main square and saying "I've got a hundred English teenagers outside, what will you give me if I bring them into your shop?"

The answer was loads of free chocolate for me and a 10% discount for the kids. Fair enough!

theboybilly

We are staying in Neuville-en-Ferrain,spending 5 days touring battlefields,museums and paying our deepest respects at the many cemetarys.

As the late great Prof. Richard Holmes said, it is easy for a battlefield tour to end up as a cemetery crawl. In no way intending to diminish the great work the CWGC do (and the sacrifices of so many) I would concentrate on the sites of interest that are gradually fading away. While on this coming trip I am going to visit Frezenberg where I know my grandfather served - I have no idea what is left there (if anything) from the Great War but if I can find any evidence of the railway that existed then I know I will be near the spot. I also want to see a bit more from the German perspective - they were innocent lads thrown into this mess too after all. Of course I shall visit some graves too but I don't want my visit to become too mawkish

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Its good to share

Thomas Barratt VC (5 May 1895 – 27 July 1917)

For most conspicuous bravery when as Scout to a patrol he worked his way towards the enemy line with the greatest gallantry and determination, in spite of continuous fire from hostile snipers at close range. These snipers he stalked and killed. Later his patrol was similarly held up, and again he disposed of the snipers. When during the subsequent withdrawal of the patrol it was observed that a party of the enemy were endeavouring to outflank them, Pte. Barratt at once volunteered to cover the retirement, and this he succeeded in accomplishing. His accurate shooting caused many casualties to the enemy, and prevented their advance. Throughout the enterprise he was under heavy machine gun and rifle fire, and his splendid example of coolness and daring was beyond all praise. After safely regaining our lines, this very gallant soldier was killed by a shell.

The London Gazette, No. 30272, 4 September 1917

Wow and only 22 when he died !!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Took two coachloads of schoolkids to Ypres many years ago. My best memory is walking into cholcolate shop on the main square and saying "I've got a hundred English teenagers outside, what will you give me if I bring them into your shop?"

The answer was loads of free chocolate for me and a 10% discount for the kids. Fair enough!

Did the same on a school trip a couple of years ago, although we’d already had a pre arranged discount agreeded through one of the British Legion Tour Guides we had on the trip. Very knowledge chap, was telling a story through the day of a particular battle and a captain that fought in it and how he struggled to cope with surviving when so many of his men had died. Turned out the Captain was the tour guides Grandfather.

I can’t recommend a trip enough though if you get the chance, I’m hoping to do it again sometime soon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here