Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man United could 'hand out song sheets to fans'

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
direct from talksport.
Man Utd are consulting with fans over how to improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford, including the proposal of handing out song sheets in the stands.

United are planning to canvass the views of supporters via a survey following criticism from manager Jose Mourinho about a lack of noise during matches at Old Trafford.

Speaking at a fans' forum last month, the minutes of which have been published on the club website, head of venue operations Dan Schofield said: "As you will most likely be aware, the atmosphere at Old Trafford is something which has been frequently commented on of late, both in the media and across social networks, and is a subject the club takes very seriously.

"To this end, senior management plan to further discuss this topic with fan groups and other interested parties and stakeholders to listen to concerns, ideas, etc and then to put forward recommendations to help facilitate positive change. However, our view is that ideally initiatives should be fan-driven."

During the FA Cup quarter-final against Brighton, a section usually used to seat away supporters was reserved for fans who wanted to create a "loud and vibrant atmosphere", and this was deemed a big success.

A fan representative at the forum also suggested printed lyrics of popular United chants could be handed out to supporters before they enter the ground, or printed in the matchday programme, to encourage more fans to join in,.

Schofield said the club would look into the suggestion.

Its a difficult one this as the majority of Man U fans can't speak English, let alone read it.

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would need to be in Japanese, shirly?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
direct from talksport.
Man Utd are consulting with fans over how to improve the atmosphere at Old Trafford, including the proposal of handing out song sheets in the stands.

United are planning to canvass the views of supporters via a survey following criticism from manager Jose Mourinho about a lack of noise during matches at Old Trafford.

Speaking at a fans' forum last month, the minutes of which have been published on the club website, head of venue operations Dan Schofield said: "As you will most likely be aware, the atmosphere at Old Trafford is something which has been frequently commented on of late, both in the media and across social networks, and is a subject the club takes very seriously.

"To this end, senior management plan to further discuss this topic with fan groups and other interested parties and stakeholders to listen to concerns, ideas, etc and then to put forward recommendations to help facilitate positive change. However, our view is that ideally initiatives should be fan-driven."

During the FA Cup quarter-final against Brighton, a section usually used to seat away supporters was reserved for fans who wanted to create a "loud and vibrant atmosphere", and this was deemed a big success.

A fan representative at the forum also suggested printed lyrics of popular United chants could be handed out to supporters before they enter the ground, or printed in the matchday programme, to encourage more fans to join in,.

Its a difficult one this as the majority of Man U fans can't speak English, let alone read it.

I was given a GOSBTS song sheet outside Goodison.

People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At a meeting it was ONE fan who suggested a hymn sheet. Schofield said the club would look into the suggestion to be courteous. That's all.
5Live spent 30 mins chatting about it blaming everything except the clubs. Let's be honest, us fans know that Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and other 'tourist' clubs just have not noise. Huddersfield was something else along with the rest of the also rans in the PL.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
direct from talksport.

Identical NSC topic this morning:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?362701-ManUre-ideas-to-improve-OT-atmosphere&highlight=Redwood

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I was at the San Siro last year for an Inter game.Around 10 fans,some with loudspeakers and some perched precariously on the railings of an upper tier and with their backs to the game were in charge of choreographing the Inter Ultra's. I believe other fans in other European countries do the same.

When you see some of the hardcore ultra fans on YouTube you realise just how tame fans in this country are.

I expect Man U have suffered by making capacity too large and therefore the more hardcore singing fans now make up a much lesser part of the crowd which is being filled up with football tourist's.

The fact Utd fans are watching crap football doesn't help the atmosphere.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Pretty sure a few years ago someone from here handed a load of song sheets out around the North Stand for a ridiculously complicated chant stolen from Olympiakos or another Greek team. We also had lyrics for songs/chants appearing on the big screens for a couple of games a few seasons back before the club backed down when people kicked off. We're hardly Boca Juniors ourselves.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're hardly Boca Juniors ourselves.

No, we should leave all that to the "deafening" PALACE ULTRAS in their black hoodies, drum, anti-Premier League / Sky Sports banners (that they're so desperate to stay in), and those slitty-throat signs to their own players. Oh, and the goal music, and name-callout. Etc.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
No, we should leave all that to the "deafening" PALACE ULTRAS in their black hoodies, drum, anti-Premier League / Sky Sports banners (that they're so desperate to stay in), and those slitty-throat signs to their own players. Oh, and the goal music, and name-callout. Etc.

I am amazed the leader of the Holmesdale Pathetics..(A Spurs fan...but shhhhhhh) doesn't have a megaphone yet.... It will only be a matter of time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I assume they will give the song lyrics about Heysel and Hillsborough a miss.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why do some people get so hung up on this notion of atmosphere? A lot of what is being mentoned here, like fans with their backs to the game, is no better than canned laughter or the warm up man before a tv show recording.

For me I go to watch a game of football as my primary motivation, if there is a bit of singing, chanting and shouting abuse at the ref then that adds to the occasion, but doesn't make it.

To be honest I would rather watch a game in silence if we play well, rather than have a great manufactured atmosphere and play shite.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I was at the San Siro last year for an Inter game.Around 10 fans,some with loudspeakers and some perched precariously on the railings of an upper tier and with their backs to the game were in charge of choreographing the Inter Ultra's. I believe other fans in other European countries do the same.

When you see some of the hardcore ultra fans on YouTube you realise just how tame fans in this country are.

I expect Man U have suffered by making capacity too large and therefore the more hardcore singing fans now make up a much lesser part of the crowd which is being filled up with football tourist's.

The fact Utd fans are watching crap football doesn't help the atmosphere.

I go to a couple of Bundesliga games every season, and the choreography/drum is pretty much standard there. When it is in full effect it's brilliant, with the terracing, flags, smoking and drinking. One thing that detracts from it for me is that it seems to eliminate any spontaneity from the crowd, from which a lot of the wittiest/funniest chants come from, but admittedly that seems the least of the 'Big Clubs' atmosphere problems at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here