Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government to partly redress 13 years of chronic Tory underfunding of the NHS

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43463358

It will mean by 2020 there will be 1,500 more students each year.

I teach the buggers. We are already letting shrimps stay in the prawn net during selection. Some of our med students are frightening. I have also worked as an external examiner in (well I best not say where, but it is everywhere) and there is nothing below the fail threshold other than potential misconduct cases. Where are the quality students going to come from? I'll give you a clue. Neither the EU, outside the EU (thanks to Brexit) or from British cities and towns. Meanwhile the youngest and newest recruited people doing the teaching have just had their pensions slashed by 40%. It is all bollocks, and more of May's cluster****.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nurses pay has been cut in real terms by somewhere between 12-14% in the last 10 years or so, I doubt they will care much for your pedantry in this case..........

Two Professors (aka one half a CSE) is now on my blocked list. The air is already smelling sweeter. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So still not a pay rise in real terms.

I used to argue, now I just block. *Right wing zealots are an embarrassment and are best ignored.

*No problem with sensible tories

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The selfish commies on this board will public applaud this news in many ways including Dave’s example above but inside will be feeling a little sick that the government are doing something positive, pushing their beloved Momentum further to the peripheries

Personally it has **** all to do with politics, but a LOT to do with hard working people being worked to extremes to provide a service that we, as taxpayers pay for. They deserve every penny we can afford. **** politics in this instance and **** anyone that tries to make it a political issue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe the Police and fireman also need looking at as well, they have suffered as well

Yes, All " Public " Employees have taken the brunt of this wage freeze, either in actual wages or "Cost Cutting " reduction of services..... IE staff numbers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think most people who have the NHS at the forefront of their mind, would be happy whichever political party made it, it's priority.

Would appear that will never be the tories tho...

Unfortunately Corbyn will probably have lost all the money in months. Still....given the present proven failure, he deserves a crack. Possibly over the back of the head, but anyway.....

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Damn straight. In fact, all public sector employees.

Don't forget, this may be a 6.5% increase, but it's over 3 years. That's a smite over 2% a year - and inflation is running at 3%, so it's still not a pay rise in real terms.

Well, yes, for the half that are at the top of their pay bands. The other half will get bigger increases - between 9 and 29%.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet......I had dinner with my eldest (a nurse, only qualified last summer) last night....half-tempted to let her reply instead........

The worst treated profession in the history of civilised employment. Formerly regarded by medics as servants. I used to teach them too. I was asked to teach about drugs and the heart. Then the nursing management asked me to teach 'and patient care'. 'But I'm a scientist, not a ****ing social worker' I said. Now they get tought how drugs work by....a nurse....WTF????

Bet wishes to you and your young warrior. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The worst treated profession in the history of civilised employment. Formerly regarded by medics as servants. I used to teach them too. I was asked to teach about drugs and the heart. Then the nursing management asked me to teach 'and patient care'. 'But I'm a scientist, not a ****ing social worker' I said. Now they get tought how drugs work by....a nurse....WTF????

Bet wishes to you and your young warrior. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. What she tells me fills me with horror frankly........queues (literally) of patients on trolleys waiting for a free bed, dealing daily with druggies, alcoholics and all sorts of other patients with mental health issues (she was punched twice this week), acute staff shortages through stress leave etc etc etc. Four years of intense study (plus placements) at a top Uni and coming out with a huge amount of knowledge, all for about 23k a year........dopey new-entrant grads in my line of work can get at least 35k pa, with the prospect of that doubling in 3-4 years. It’s all wrong.

She hasn’t decided how she’ll spend her 1% increase yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely. What she tells me fills me with horror frankly........queues (literally) of patients on trolleys waiting for a free bed, dealing daily with druggies, alcoholics and all sorts of other patients with mental health issues (she was punched twice this week), acute staff shortages through stress leave etc etc etc. Four years of intense study (plus placements) at a top Uni and coming out with a huge amount of knowledge, all for about 23k a year........dopey new-entrant grads in my line of work can get at least 35k pa, with the prospect of that doubling in 3-4 years. It’s all wrong.

'Not all at once' shirly?

Mrs T's sister is a nurse.....somewhat older and more senior than you kid, but also has experienced it all. It is still a great profession, though, and indespensible....

(I say that as someone who's going in for knee surgery soon .... I just hope none of the people looking after me have recently been attacked by a patient....) :shrug::thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just laughing at you asking [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] what his source was when it was in your OP. Priceless!

It Titanic really a moderator? Can you block a moderator I think I should have a go.....hang on....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just laughing at you asking [MENTION=34106]ManOfSussex[/MENTION] what his source was when it was in your OP. Priceless!

It Titanic really a moderator? Can you block a moderator I think I should have a go.....hang on....

Bollocks. 'Titanic is a moderator and you can't ignore him'. **** that. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] please may we humble persons be granted the wish of not having to read the drivel of selected moderators? Obviously they can ban us or whatever if we are naughty, but we shouldn't be forced to read their drivel, shirly? Pretty please, etc :rolleyes::kiss:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
An xtra 3000 trained midwives announced, more government redress. About time......

If I was being cynical this is just the Government trying to justify the Brexit bus slogan and say this additional investment is a post Brexit boost.

However any additional investment in the NHS is welcomed

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Titanic is a mod! Hell's Bells. I was shocked to see that ****nut Goldstone 1976 was a moderator until he started happy- slapping me with infractions ona whim but Titanic!? In the words of the Daily Mail.... whatever next!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

100% agree with this.

My partner is a ward sister and the stories she tells about lack of staff and patient care would make your eyes water. Yet she is still paid the same as an entry level graduate in the financial firm I work for, who arrive with flashy cvs and zero common sense.

The thing is, she adores her job - I can't really see any other reason for her to do it. And I think that's true of most of the nurses currently employed by the NHS.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If I was being cynical this is just the Government trying to justify the Brexit bus slogan and say this additional investment is a post Brexit boost.

However any additional investment in the NHS is welcomed

You are right to be cynical.
Any improvement is welcome.
But they have no choice due to chronic recruitment levels and demoralised staff leaving in droves.
Also many are from the EU.
But it's not as easy as it seems as the lady on The Marr Show said this morning.
Be very cynical about any money that is spent by this Government unless it helps themselves or the rich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here